Cabal compatibility redeux

Bugzilla from robdockins@fastmail.fm
I'd just like to reseruct the conversation from here
(http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-December/004692.html) for a
quick moment if I might.  At the time I wrote:

>>> I just want to mention that these kind of changes represent represent a
>>> VERY big problem. I discussed that issue at some length in an email I
>>> intended to send to this list very recently, but it seems to have gotten
>>> lost.
>>
>> Are you sure they represent a very big problem in practice and not
>> just in theory?
>
> [snip]
>
> Well, obviously it isn't a practical problem yet.  If it was we'd have
> people screaming about it on the lists.

I would now like to add to the theoretical arguments I made then the evidence
that the HSQL driver package for MySQL uses the user hooks of Cabal and I
have just experienced a case of Cabal version skew breaking a build system,
because this package will not build for me using Cabal 1.1.3.  I am unsure at
the moment if this is because my Cabal is too new or too old, and I now face
the prospect of 1) hacking on the build system to match my cabal, 2) trying
random cabal upgrades/downgrades or 3) pinging the package maintainers to
figure out how to build this package.

Rob Dockins

Re: Cabal compatibility redeux

Isaac Jones-3
(snip)
> I would now like to add to the theoretical arguments I made then the evidence
> that the HSQL driver package for MySQL uses the user hooks of Cabal and I
> have just experienced a case of Cabal version skew breaking a build system,
> because this package will not build for me using Cabal 1.1.3.  I am unsure at
> the moment if this is because my Cabal is too new or too old, and I now face
> the prospect of 1) hacking on the build system to match my cabal, 2) trying
> random cabal upgrades/downgrades or 3) pinging the package maintainers to
> figure out how to build this package.

You should ping the package maintainer.  All Cabal releases since 1.0
have been release candidates for the exact reason that we need to
experiment with the interfaces.  Folks using 1.1.3 or what-have-you
are early adopters who,I believe, are accepting the responsibility of
helping their users when this happens.  Of course I and others on this
list are also happy to help.

I'm very strongly leaning toward writing a compatibility layer between
cabal 1.0 and 1.2 (which I hope to release soon), and I'll read up on
that when I'm ready to make a release and bring up the options here.
I might bug you for help :)

peace,

  isaac