Cabal feature request - dates in versions

Cabal feature request - dates in versions

Einar Karttunen
Hello

When developing a library I would like to have cabal files with
something like:

Version: 0.9.<date>

where Cabal would automatically generate the exact version based
on the current date (e.g. 0.9.20060422). This would be very useful
for development versions of libraries.

- Einar Karttunen

Re: Cabal feature request - dates in versions

Ross Paterson
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:11:47PM +0300, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> When developing a library I would like to have cabal files with
> something like:
>
> Version: 0.9.<date>
>
> where Cabal would automatically generate the exact version based
> on the current date (e.g. 0.9.20060422). This would be very useful
> for development versions of libraries.

setup sdist --snapshot

On 23.04 20:17, Ross Paterson wrote:
> setup sdist --snapshot

Does not help with people doing:

darcs get http://foo.bar/mylibrary/
runghc Setup.hs configure
runghc Setup.hs build
su -c 'runghc Setup.hs install'

If one wants to do snapshot releases then adding the version manually is
no problem. But for a head-branch in darcs/cvs/... this is problematic.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 03:14:01AM +0300, Einar Karttunen wrote:

> On 23.04 20:17, Ross Paterson wrote:
> > setup sdist --snapshot
>
> Does not help with people doing:
>
> darcs get http://foo.bar/mylibrary/
> runghc Setup.hs configure
> runghc Setup.hs build
> su -c 'runghc Setup.hs install'
>
> If one wants to do snapshot releases then adding the version manually is
> no problem. But for a head-branch in darcs/cvs/... this is problematic.

Perhaps you want --snapshot on install/copy/register.

An alternative would be a Boolean field in the package description,
distinguishing a package from a repository.  In the latter case you'd
get the expanded version numbers, but sdist would mark the things it
created as packages.