Cabal not detecting foreign libraries

aditya siram-2
Hi all,
 I am trying to install vacuum-cairo and leksah. For both these packages
cabal complains that "gtk", "gtksourceview", "svgcairo" etc are not found.
They are definetely installed on my Ubuntu Hardy Heron box. Where is Cabal
looking?

thanks ...
-deech
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Cabal not detecting foreign libraries

Daniel Fischer-4
Am Mittwoch 17 Juni 2009 18:13:06 schrieb aditya siram:
> Hi all,
>  I am trying to install vacuum-cairo and leksah. For both these packages
> cabal complains that "gtk", "gtksourceview", "svgcairo" etc are not found.
> They are definetely installed on my Ubuntu Hardy Heron box. Where is Cabal
> looking?
>
> thanks ...
> -deech

What's the exact error message?
These are all subpackages of gtk2hs, so doesn't cabal find the haskell packages of these
names or the C(++) libraries?
I f the haskell packages are not found, that means you haven't installed gtk2hs for your
most recent ghc.

Cabal not detecting foreign libraries

Brent Yorgey-2
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:13:06AM -0500, aditya siram wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I am trying to install vacuum-cairo and leksah. For both these packages
> cabal complains that "gtk", "gtksourceview", "svgcairo" etc are not found.
> They are definetely installed on my Ubuntu Hardy Heron box. Where is Cabal
> looking?

When you say "they are definitely installed", what do you mean?  If
you mean you have installed Ubuntu packages like libgtk-dev (or
whatever it is called), that's good, but not enough. Cabal is looking
for *Haskell* libraries which contain the bindings to those foreign
libraries.  You will have to install gtk2hs, which provides them:

  http://www.haskell.org/gtk2hs/

-Brent