Quantcast

Cabal try to install a package I already have

Cabal try to install a package I already have

Daniel Díaz Casanueva
Hi Cafe,

today I opened the command prompt and typed "cabal install ftphs". Then I read:

> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring network-2.3.0.5...

And I started to feel confused. Because I already have installed that package with that version! I continued reading:

> cabal: The package has a './configure' script. This requires a Unix
> compatibility toolchain such as MinGW+MSYS or Cygwin.

Yes, I knew this would happen! (thought I don't like it with a so common-used library) But I can't understand why cabal is trying to install network-2.3.0.5. If I type "ghc-pkg list" I can see precisely network-2.3.0.5 is installed. In fact, 2.3.0.5 is the version that comes with the Haskell Platform I recently installed (2011.4.0.0) as you can see here: http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal.

Could someone, please, explain me this? I will be very glad. I was working with ghc-7.4 but I needed the network package so I switched to the Haskell Platform, because install network in Windows is painful. Yes, I read the Mitchell guide (found in http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com.es/2010/12/installing-haskell-network-library-on.html), but once I installed the library I was having compile time error with "unknown symbol" errors. I felt very odd so I switched this machine to the Haskell Platform.

I hope someone could help me.
Thanks in advance,
Daniel Díaz.

Re: Cabal try to install a package I already have

Jeff Shaw
Hello Daniel,
Did you perhaps install a newer version of bytestring or parsec?

Jeff

Re: Cabal try to install a package I already have

Daniel Díaz Casanueva
Indeed, it seems to be for parsec:

? ghc-pkg latest bytestring
bytestring-0.9.1.10

? ghc-pkg latest parsec
parsec-3.1.2

Haskell Platform versions: bytestring-0.9.1.10, parsec-3.1.1.

Re: Cabal try to install a package I already have

Daniel Díaz Casanueva
I have spent some time and, when I unregistered (with ghc-pkg unregister) all dependencies (even indirect dependencies) I have installed since I have the Haskell Platform, then the "cabal install ftphs" worked.

Now I feel I understand the problem, but still seems annoying.

Thanks for the pointer, Jeff. I didn't know the reason of your question, but then I saw dependencies of network and thought: "eureka!".