Call for features for GHC 8.4

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

The release of GHC 8.4 is quickly approaching, with a release targetted
for February 2018. To allow plenty of time for stabilization, we would
like to cut the ghc-8.4 branch sometime in November. Currently there are
relatively few items on the 8.4 status page [1]. If you have a feature
which you would like to see in 8.4 but is not listed there please do
add it soon.

Also note that if things go according to plan, 8.6 will come a mere six
months after 8.4 so if you have a large feature which won't make it for
8.4, do not fret; another release will be just around the corner.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.4.1

Re: Call for features for GHC 8.4

Evan Laforge
I'd like to see this fixed: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13604

It's a show stopper that prevented me from being able to use 8.2 at all.

Once again, if no one has time to address it, I'd be happy to take a
look myself.

Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'd like to see this fixed: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13604
>
> It's a show stopper that prevented me from being able to use 8.2 at all.

David, could you see to it that something happens on this front?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Call for features for GHC 8.4

Moritz Angermann-2
I’ll try to update the page when I’m back from VN.

8.4
- aarch64/arm linker for mach-o/elf
- staticlib
- iserv over the network
- extended Q monad? (I really think we should try to iron this out for 8.4)
- various iOS/Android/Raspberry Pi/... cross compilation fixes
- llvm5

8.6
- llvmng? I’m afraid this will be ready for 8.4.

Which release will be Hadrian first?

Sent from my iPhone

Moritz Angermann <[hidden email]> writes:

> I’ll try to update the page when I’m back from VN.
>
> 8.4
> - aarch64/arm linker for mach-o/elf
> - staticlib
> - iserv over the network
> - extended Q monad? (I really think we should try to iron this out for 8.4)
> - various iOS/Android/Raspberry Pi/... cross compilation fixes
> - llvm5

Great; do update the status page when you get a chance (although there
is already an entry for general improvement of cross-compilation).

> 8.6
> - llvmng? I’m afraid this will be ready for 8.4.
>
> Which release will be Hadrian first?

We very much hope to have Hadrian in 8.4.

Enjoy your vacation!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Call for features for GHC 8.4

Manuel M T Chakravarty-4
Just as a general note, with the push towards regular releases at 6 month intervals whose final release doesn’t drag out 2-3 month after the expected release date, I think, having few items on the status page is a Good Thing. So, let’s not cram too much in, as Ben wrote, 8.6 will not be that much further of.

Cheers,
Manuel