Can I use Haskell for web programming

Maurí­cio
   Hi,

   Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP? More and more
I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
   What solutions do you suggest me?

   Thanks,
   Maurício

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Sebastian Sylvan
On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP? More and more
> I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
> you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
> exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
> the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
> code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
> reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
>    What solutions do you suggest me?

Take a look at WASH and HSP...

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Neil Mitchell

>    Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP?

I wrote Hoogle (http://haskell.org/hoogle) using Haskell, without
using any libraries - just directly as a console program. It's open
source so you can download it and see how its done, if you want. Of
course the web handling bit is more low level than WASH and HSP.

Thanks

Neil

On 21/01/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    Hi,

and more

> I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
> you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
> exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
> the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
> code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
> reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
>    What solutions do you suggest me?
>
>    Thanks,
>    Maurício

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Maurí­cio
   They both look cool. Do you think I'll be able to find someone to
host professional sites using those libraries?

   [....],
   Maurício

Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>   Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP? More and more
>>I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
>>you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
>>exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
>>the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
>>code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
>>reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
>>   What solutions do you suggest me?
>>

> Take a look at WASH and HSP...
>
> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/
> http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/
>
> --
> Sebastian Sylvan
> +46(0)736-818655
> UIN: 44640862

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Maurí­cio
   Interesting. It's hosted on Haskell site. Do you think I would be
able to do what you have done in a professional hosting service computer?

   Best,
   Maurício

Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>   Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP?
>

> I wrote Hoogle (http://haskell.org/hoogle) using Haskell, without
> using any libraries - just directly as a console program. It's open
> source so you can download it and see how its done, if you want. Of
> course the web handling bit is more low level than WASH and HSP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
>
> On 21/01/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   Hi,
>>

> and more
>
>>I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
>>you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
>>exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
>>the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
>>code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
>>reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
>>   What solutions do you suggest me?
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>   Maurício

Re: Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Thomas Davie

On Jan 21, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Maurício wrote:

>   They both look cool. Do you think I'll be able to find someone to
> host professional sites using those libraries?
>
>   [....],
>   Maurício

Try http://contextshift.co.uk/vps.html ... or I guess any other
virtual server hosts, but they're cheep and good.

Bob

Re: Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Jared Updike
> Interesting. It's hosted on Haskell site. Do you think I would be
> able to do what you have done in a professional hosting service computer?

If you don't need dynamic web pages, you could develop the pages on
your own machine, generate HTML, etc. and then upload those to the
server of your choice. It may also be possible to deploy just the
compiled binaries (for the appropriate platform, i.e. BSD, Linux,
whatever the host uses) if you need CGI functionality and the hosting
service gives you the OK. I just run Ubuntu Linux (so I can put
whatever packages I need on there) on a machine connected to a DSL
modem and use dynamic DNS to keep the name pointed at my computer, but
I don't have high bandwidth needs. I'm finding Haskell to be a really
nice language for generating webpages, much better than doing things
by hand or even using Python, for example.

  Jared.

--
http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Bjorn Bringert-2
Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>   Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP?
>

> I wrote Hoogle (http://haskell.org/hoogle) using Haskell, without
> using any libraries - just directly as a console program. It's open
> source so you can download it and see how its done, if you want. Of
> course the web handling bit is more low level than WASH and HSP.

Warning: Shameless plugs follow

If you want to be somewhere in between the high-level WASH/HSP and the
low-level implement-it-all-yourself approach, you may want to have a
look at the following libraries.

The cgi package allows you to write CGI programs without caring about
low-level communication with the webserver and stuff like how form data
is encoded: http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-cgi/

There is also a FastCGI wrapper you can use to get better performance
from your CGI programs (written using the above library):
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-fastcgi/

With the xhtml package you can create XHTML documents using simple
Haskell functions: http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-xhtml/
It is a very simple adaptation of Andy Gill's Text.Html module.

The URLs above all point to darcs repos for the libraries.

/Björn

> On 21/01/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   Hi,
>>

> and more
>
>>I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
>>you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
>>exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
>>the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
>>code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
>>reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
>>   What solutions do you suggest me?
>>
>>   Thanks,
>>   Maurício

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Jared Updike
For haskell-fastcgi, my configure fails with

cannot satisfy dependency cgi-any

Google does not turn up any useful results for this. Which package
will fix this dependency? I thought I just installed fastcgi from
source but I'm not sure where it gets looked for by haskell-fastcgi...

Thanks
   Jared.

--
http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Lemmih
On 1/23/06, Jared Updike <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For haskell-fastcgi, my configure fails with
>
> cannot satisfy dependency cgi-any
>
> Google does not turn up any useful results for this. Which package
> will fix this dependency? I thought I just installed fastcgi from
> source but I'm not sure where it gets looked for by haskell-fastcgi...

>From the README:
Requirements for building:

- The cgi package from:
  http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/haskell-cgi/

--
Friendly,
  Lemmih

Re: Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Niklas Broberg
hsp can be run in two different modes. Running the full-blown version
with runtime system will probably be hard on a professional site, you
would have to convince them to install hsp. But if you can do without
the fancier bits, in particular application-scoped data, you can run
hsp pages as ordinary cgi scripts. Look in the HSPR.CGI.RunCGI module.

/Niklas

On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    They both look cool. Do you think I'll be able to find someone to
> host professional sites using those libraries?
>
>    [....],
>    Maurício
>
> Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>   Hi,
> >>
> >>   Can I use Haskell to do what people do with, say, PHP? More and more
> >>I have the need for that, and I've been looking into Ruby on Rails. Do
> >>you thing Haskell could be a choice? Of course, I don't need something
> >>exactly like PHP (for instance, I don't care if I can't insert code in
> >>the middle of xhtml pages. If I have to generate everything from Haskell
> >>code, I would probably like it. Also, CGI can be a choice). But I need
> >>reasonable efficiency and to be able to find someone to host my site.
> >>   What solutions do you suggest me?
> >>

> > Take a look at WASH and HSP...
> >
> > http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/
> > http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/
> >
> > --
> > Sebastian Sylvan
> > +46(0)736-818655
> > UIN: 44640862

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Maurí­cio
   I think it would be interesting to ask some professional site to
install hsp, before I go to the cgi solution. If I want to do that, what
should I ask them to install to get a full working environment, with
access to SQL and other stuff?

   Maurício

Niklas Broberg wrote:

> hsp can be run in two different modes. Running the full-blown version
> with runtime system will probably be hard on a professional site, you
> would have to convince them to install hsp. But if you can do without
> the fancier bits, in particular application-scoped data, you can run
> hsp pages as ordinary cgi scripts. Look in the HSPR.CGI.RunCGI module.
>
> /Niklas
>
> On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>   They both look cool. Do you think I'll be able to find someone to
>>host professional sites using those libraries?
>>
>>   [....],
>>   Maurício
>>
>>Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

>>>Take a look at WASH and HSP...
>>>
>>>http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/
>>>http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/
>>>
>>>--
>>>Sebastian Sylvan
>>>+46(0)736-818655
>>>UIN: 44640862

Re: Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Niklas Broberg
Now that would be a treat. :-)
To get it working properly you would first of all need ghc. The you
would need packages hsp with dependencies (haskell-src-exts, harp,
trhsx) and hspr with dependencies (hs-plugins). To get the SQL parts
you probably want to have haskelldb.

I am in the process of making hsp installation easier, there are still
a bunch of rough edges here and there. You can contact me if you want
to try installing, or if you find someone who would be willing to try.
:-)

/Niklas

On 1/23/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    I think it would be interesting to ask some professional site to
> install hsp, before I go to the cgi solution. If I want to do that, what
> should I ask them to install to get a full working environment, with
> access to SQL and other stuff?
>
>    Maurício
>
> Niklas Broberg wrote:
> > hsp can be run in two different modes. Running the full-blown version
> > with runtime system will probably be hard on a professional site, you
> > would have to convince them to install hsp. But if you can do without
> > the fancier bits, in particular application-scoped data, you can run
> > hsp pages as ordinary cgi scripts. Look in the HSPR.CGI.RunCGI module.
> >
> > /Niklas

Re: Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Bjorn Bringert-2
I think the easiest way to achieve that would be to do as Thomas Davie
suggested earlier and get a virtual server where you can install
whatever you want.

/Björn

Maurício wrote:

>   I think it would be interesting to ask some professional site to
> install hsp, before I go to the cgi solution. If I want to do that, what
> should I ask them to install to get a full working environment, with
> access to SQL and other stuff?
>
>   Maurício
>
> Niklas Broberg wrote:
>
>> hsp can be run in two different modes. Running the full-blown version
>> with runtime system will probably be hard on a professional site, you
>> would have to convince them to install hsp. But if you can do without
>> the fancier bits, in particular application-scoped data, you can run
>> hsp pages as ordinary cgi scripts. Look in the HSPR.CGI.RunCGI module.
>>
>> /Niklas
>>
>> On 1/21/06, Maurício <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>   They both look cool. Do you think I'll be able to find someone to
>>> host professional sites using those libraries?
>>>
>>>   [....],
>>>   Maurício

Re: Can I use Haskell for web programming

Henning Thielemann

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> Take a look at WASH and HSP...
>
> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/WASH/

> http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/

I can't find this one on haskell.org/libraries/