Can avoidStruts stop working?

Tuncer Ayaz
Does anybody else run XMonad on Arch Linux AMD64 (non-testing)? Since
about a week (and a half) ago something seems to have caused
avoidStruts to be ignored, because xmobar is covered by any window I
open. I've tried unsuccessfully with my full config and the recently
suggested new sample config here on the list[1]. Any idea what's
happening? It's possibly an operator issue, but I don't know how to
debug it.

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2015-December/014977.html

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Jean-Philippe Braun
Same issue here. After I reset the layout it's working fine. I'm using
xmobar.

Le mercredi 02 mars 2016 à 09:25:39 (-0500), Dave Macias a écrit :

> I have a similar issue but when i startup xmonad for the first time. All i
> do is reset the layout on all visible workspaces (mod-shift-space). Havent
> figured how to fix it. Using dzen as my status bars.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody else run XMonad on Arch Linux AMD64 (non-testing)? Since
> > about a week (and a half) ago something seems to have caused
> > avoidStruts to be ignored, because xmobar is covered by any window I
> > open. I've tried unsuccessfully with my full config and the recently
> > suggested new sample config here on the list[1]. Any idea what's
> > happening? It's possibly an operator issue, but I don't know how to
> > debug it.
> >
> > [1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2015-December/014977.html

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Brandon Allbery
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Jean-Philippe Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same issue here. After I reset the layout it's working fine. I'm using
xmobar.

Le mercredi 02 mars 2016 à 09:25:39 (-0500), Dave Macias a écrit :
> I have a similar issue but when i startup xmonad for the first time. All i
> do is reset the layout on all visible workspaces (mod-shift-space). Havent
> figured how to fix it. Using dzen as my status bars.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody else run XMonad on Arch Linux AMD64 (non-testing)? Since
> > about a week (and a half) ago something seems to have caused
> > avoidStruts to be ignored, because xmobar is covered by any window I
> > open. I've tried unsuccessfully with my full config and the recently
> > suggested new sample config here on the list[1]. Any idea what's
> > happening? It's possibly an operator issue, but I don't know how to
> > debug it.
> >
> > [1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2015-December/014977.html

If you're running xmonad 0.12, you might want to either downgrade to 0.11 or remove your current xmonad + xmonad-contrib and reinstall both from git master. 0.12 introduced strut caching, but had a bug that caused it to cache the nonexistence of struts at startup time and not notice them being added later when the dock is (un)managed.

On 2 March 2016 at 15:25, Dave Macias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a similar issue but when i startup xmonad for the first time.
> All i do is reset the layout on all visible workspaces
> (mod-shift-space). Havent figured how to fix it. Using dzen as my
> status bars.

Does dzen exhibit the same issue?

On 2 March 2016 at 16:05, Jean-Philippe Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Same issue here. After I reset the layout it's working fine. I'm
> using xmobar.

And you're both running Arch Linux, correct?

On 2 March 2016 at 16:17, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you're running xmonad 0.12, you might want to either downgrade to
> 0.11 or remove your current xmonad + xmonad-contrib and reinstall
> both from git master. 0.12 introduced strut caching, but had a bug
> that caused it to cache the nonexistence of struts at startup time
> and not notice them being added later when the dock is (un)managed.

I was using xmonad and xmonad-contrib master with xmobar stable from
hackage.

I had rebuilt before, but I'll try again.

Where exactly is the caching store and can it be invalidated?
Ideally a cache shall not need manual management.

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Igor Sosa Mayor
Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]>
writes:

> On 2 March 2016 at 16:05, Jean-Philippe Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Same issue here. After I reset the layout it's working fine. I'm
>> using xmobar.
>
> And you're both running Arch Linux, correct?

I'm using archlinux and I don't have this problem (dzen2)...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: [hidden email] ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Dave Macias
Running arch. xmonad 0.12 and contrib from haskell. using dzen. Will try xmonad & contrib from git repo
Thanks

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Igor Sosa Mayor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]>

On 2 March 2016 at 16:23, Igor Sosa Mayor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using archlinux and I don't have this problem (dzen2)...

Rebuilt xmonad and xmonad-contrib, and I still have this problem
with xmobar latest from hackage.

I'll try dzen2 or maybe xmobar git master first.

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Dave Macias
I moved from haskage xmonad + contrib to git master.
Avoidstruts no longer works even if i refresh (mod-shift-space). Also noticed that "completionKey" lline from Xmonad.Prompt no longer works(might be default since it still works). Uncommented with no issues.
When i go back to haskel xmonad + contrib, avoidstruts works but after refreshing the layout.

Using dzen. i can try haskell xmobar...

On 2 March 2016 at 17:21, Dave Macias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I moved from haskage xmonad + contrib to git master. Avoidstruts no
> longer works even if i refresh (mod-shift-space). Also noticed that
> "completionKey" lline from Xmonad.Prompt no longer works(might be
> default since it still works). Uncommented with no issues. When i go
> back to haskel xmonad + contrib, avoidstruts works but after
> refreshing the layout.
>
> Using dzen. i can try haskell xmobar...

dzen failed the same way as xmobar here, so I think it's a
general problem.

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Bogdan Sinitsyn
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:21:07 AM MSK Dave Macias wrote:
> Avoidstruts no longer works even if i refresh (mod-shift-space).
Now `docksEventHook`(for adding a dock to layout) and `docksStartupHook`(for
re-adding all docks when you restore layout) are required. Btw, restoring
layout breaks many layout modifiers, b.e. subj, X.L.Minimize, X.L.Fullscreen
and some others. The only solution I see is to add something like
`docksStartupHook`(btw, that is very bad name because it's not for
`startupHook` but for running after `setLayout =<< asks (layoutHook . config)`)

> Also noticed that "completionKey" lline from Xmonad.Prompt no longer
works(might be default since it still works).
Now format is `(KeyMask, KeySym)`, see CHANGES.md

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

On 2 March 2016 at 18:55, Bogdan Sinitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:21:07 AM MSK Dave Macias wrote:
> > Avoidstruts no longer works even if i refresh (mod-shift-space).
> Now `docksEventHook`(for adding a dock to layout) and
> `docksStartupHook`(for re-adding all docks when you restore layout)
> are required. Btw, restoring layout breaks many layout modifiers,
> b.e. subj, X.L.Minimize, X.L.Fullscreen and some others. The only
> solution I see is to add something like `docksStartupHook`(btw, that
> is very bad name because it's not for `startupHook` but for running
> after `setLayout =<< asks (layoutHook . config)`)

Thanks, Bogdan, that fixes it. I'll post an updated sample config.

It was sufficient to add just docksEventHook. Feel free to critique
the new sample config.

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Dave Macias
Thanks for info.
I already have docksEventHook.
`setLayout =<< asks ....` works since im able to go back to my default layout but it does not respect the dzen bar.
I did not quite understand how to try the `docksStartupHook` after `setLayout =<<...`
config here:

Thanks

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:38:34 PM MSK you wrote:

> I did not quite understand how to try the `docksStartupHook` after
> `setLayout =<<...`
`(setLayout =<< asks (layoutHook . config)) >> docksStartupHook`

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Dave Macias
Thank you Bogdan for the reply. I did as suggested.  I tried different versions:

`setLayout $ XMonad.layoutHook conf` -- original code. works fine under Haskell xmonad 0.12. with GIT xmonad docks are not longer respected.
`setLayout $ XMonad.layoutHook conf >> docksStartupHook` -- failed on xmonad restart
`(setLayout $ XMonad.layoutHook conf) >> docksStartupHook` -- passes xmonad restart but setLayout to default does not work, neither respect for docks
`(setLayout =<< asks (XMonad.layoutHook . config)) >> docksStartupHook` -- passes restart. setLayout works. but still no respect for docks.

I feel like im very close.
Could it be that my `manageDocks` or `docksEventHook e` are not properly configured?

Thank you again for assistance. Hopefully my struggles will help someone else who reads this.
-Dave

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Bogdan Sinitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:38:34 PM MSK you wrote:

> I did not quite understand how to try the `docksStartupHook` after
> `setLayout =<<...`
`(setLayout =<< asks (layoutHook . config)) >> docksStartupHook`

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Bogdan Sinitsyn
Are you speaking about action on some hotkey instead of `setLayout =<< asks
(layoutHook . config)` or something else? If first then I dunno what's wrong,
can you give the whole config?

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Dave Macias
Yes, it's an action on a hotkey. (mod+shift+space) which resets layout on workspace. See http://web.mit.edu/nelhage/Public/xmonad.hs
Under haskell xmonad, i had to (mod-shift-space) in order for the docks to be respected, since it was never respected upon xmonad restart.
Under Git xmonad, docks are still not respected upon xmonad restart but my previous solution (mod-shift-space) for displaying the dock, no longer works.

Here is my code:

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn

Re: Can avoidStruts stop working?

Bogdan Sinitsyn
Add `docksStartupHook` to both your action on mod-shift-space and your startup
hook(because you restore initial layout state before restart).

--
Bogdan Sinitsyn