Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Thomas Järvstrand
Hi!

I just moved back to xmonad after having used qtile for a few years and I'm having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
"Received error message from the locker: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just calls /etc/X11/Xsession. My .xsession only adds "~/.cabal/bin" to the PATH and execs xmonad. xmonad version is 0.15 but I get the same behaviour when installing xmonad via apt and running the package's session. I have tried purging and reinstalling both lightdm and light-locker. The curious thing is that the same lock command works fine if I run qtile from my .xsession instead of xmonad.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Thomas

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Adam Sjøgren
Thomas writes:

> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Not quite what you are asking for, perphaps, but I use xscreensaver to
lock my screen, which I just start in a login-script with the
"-no-splash" option, and lock using a key: ("M-S-l", spawn
"xscreensaver-command -activate")

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hur långt man än har kommit                                 Adam Sjøgren
  är det alltid längre kvar"                             [hidden email]

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Thomas Järvstrand
Hi again!

I suppose what I would like to figure out is why it doesn't work to lock my screen using light-locker from the command line. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the visuals of xscreensaver and would like to stay with light-locker if possible.

Thomas

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 19:55 Adam Sjøgren, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thomas writes:

> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Not quite what you are asking for, perphaps, but I use xscreensaver to
lock my screen, which I just start in a login-script with the
"-no-splash" option, and lock using a key: ("M-S-l", spawn
"xscreensaver-command -activate")

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hur långt man än har kommit                                 Adam Sjøgren
  är det alltid längre kvar"                             [hidden email]

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Brandon Allbery
Something's wrong with connectivity to dbus. Would have to see how your session is set up to know what's going on.

Thomas writes:

> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Not quite what you are asking for, perphaps, but I use xscreensaver to
lock my screen, which I just start in a login-script with the
"-no-splash" option, and lock using a key: ("M-S-l", spawn
"xscreensaver-command -activate")

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hur långt man än har kommit                                 Adam Sjøgren
  är det alltid längre kvar"                             [hidden email]

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Rasmus Edgar
Hi Adam,

If you are willing to try something else, I can recommend slock, which
works perfectly with XMonad and is extremely barebones.

https://tools.suckless.org/slock/

Br,
Rasmus Edgar

Brandon Allbery skrev den 2018-11-22 21:44:

> Something's wrong with connectivity to dbus. Would have to see how your
> session is set up to know what's going on.
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Thomas Järvstrand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again!
> I suppose what I would like to figure out is why it doesn't work to
> lock my screen using light-locker from the command line. Unfortunately
> I'm not a huge fan of the visuals of xscreensaver and would like to
> stay with light-locker if possible.
>
> Thomas
>
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 19:55 Adam Sjøgren, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas writes:
>
>> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Not quite what you are asking for, perphaps, but I use xscreensaver to
> lock my screen, which I just start in a login-script with the
> "-no-splash" option, and lock using a key: ("M-S-l", spawn
> "xscreensaver-command -activate")
>
> Best regards,
>
> Adam
>
> --
> "Hur långt man än har kommit                                 Adam
> Sjøgren
> är det alltid längre kvar"

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Paul Fertser
Hello,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
> having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling
> "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
> "Received error message from the locker:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

This means that the application is trying to use an FDO DBus API to do
the actual locking. And indeed, its description says:

It relies on lightdm for locking and unlocking your session via
ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.

> I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just

So since you're using lightdm already what you need to figure out is
what package exactly is supposed to be providing
org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver on your system. I hope your distro people
can help figuring that out, the issue seems to be absolutely unrelated
to XMonad.

HTH
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Thomas Järvstrand
Thanks for the reply! I do however believe that it is related to xmonad somehow, or at least how I'm starting it, since the same command works fine when I'm in a qtile session. Unfortunately I'm very much a newbie when in comes to DBus and systemd

Thomas

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 10:12 Paul Fertser, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
> having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling
> "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
> "Received error message from the locker:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

This means that the application is trying to use an FDO DBus API to do
the actual locking. And indeed, its description says:

It relies on lightdm for locking and unlocking your session via
ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.

> I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just

So since you're using lightdm already what you need to figure out is
what package exactly is supposed to be providing
org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver on your system. I hope your distro people
can help figuring that out, the issue seems to be absolutely unrelated
to XMonad.

HTH
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Brandon Allbery
The difference is that xmonad doesn't start a dbus session for you. Look at the dbus-launch command for how to start a session, depending on how that session is set up. For example, if you are using .xsession, you'll want to use the eval version to make it available to everything launched from .xsession instead of only from xmonad.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM Thomas Järvstrand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I do however believe that it is related to xmonad somehow, or at least how I'm starting it, since the same command works fine when I'm in a qtile session. Unfortunately I'm very much a newbie when in comes to DBus and systemd

Thomas

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 10:12 Paul Fertser, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
> having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling
> "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
> "Received error message from the locker:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

This means that the application is trying to use an FDO DBus API to do
the actual locking. And indeed, its description says:

It relies on lightdm for locking and unlocking your session via
ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.

> I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just

So since you're using lightdm already what you need to figure out is
what package exactly is supposed to be providing
org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver on your system. I hope your distro people
can help figuring that out, the issue seems to be absolutely unrelated
to XMonad.

HTH
mailto:[hidden email]

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Thomas Järvstrand
Awesome, thank you a million! It wasn't the actual issue but it pointed me in the right direction! The problem was that ~/.dbus and its contents were owned by root and not readable by my user. Deleting the directory solved the problem.

Thanks again!
Thomas