Can't push to staging area?

Bartosz Nitka
I'm trying to update a diff and I run into this:

$ arc diff
Linting...
 LINT OKAY  No lint problems.
Running unit tests...
No unit test engine is configured for this project.
 PUSH STAGING  Pushing changes to staging area...
sudo: a password is required

and the repository exists.
 STAGING FAILED  Unable to push changes to the staging area.
Usage Exception: Failed to push changes to staging area. Correct the
issue, or use --skip-staging to skip this step.

I believe that it worked for me before with my setup, and I seem to be
in compliance with
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator#Startingoff:Fixingabugsubmittingareview

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bartosz

Re: Can't push to staging area?

Brandon Allbery
"sudo: a password is required"

Can't even tell if that's local (beware e.g. Ubuntu defaults) or remote (which would be a configuration problem on the remote end, not to mention seeming like a bad idea).

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Bartosz Nitka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointers, I dug a bit deeper and I've also found
https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/diffusion_hosting/#troubleshooting-ssh.

That prompted me to try:

$ ssh -v -T -p 2222 [hidden email]
git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/

The result:
Authenticated to phabricator-origin.haskell.org ([23.253.149.35]:2222).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting [hidden email]
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: pledge: network
debug1: Remote: Forced command.
debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
debug1: Remote: Forced command.
debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LC_MEASUREMENT = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_PAPER = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_MONETARY = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_GB.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_NAME = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_ADDRESS = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_NUMERIC = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_TELEPHONE = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_IDENTIFICATION = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending env LC_TIME = pl_PL.UTF-8
debug1: Sending command: git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/
sudo: a password is required
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype [hidden email] reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
Transferred: sent 3292, received 3000 bytes, in 0.6 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 5170.1, received 4711.6
debug1: Exit status 1

I believe this means that it's failing remotely, not locally.

git-receive-pack runs normally locally.

> This is a local git configuration issue. Your pack scripts (git-upload-pack
> etc) are on a path that requires sudo or your sudoers configuration is
> wrong. See
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24059597/phabricator-git-ssh-clone-fails-with-password-required-error
>

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018, 01:06 Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> "sudo: a password is required"
>>
>> Can't even tell if that's local (beware e.g. Ubuntu defaults) or remote
>> (which would be a configuration problem on the remote end, not to mention
>> seeming like a bad idea).
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Bartosz Nitka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to update a diff and I run into this:
>>>
>>> $ arc diff
>>> Linting...
>>>  LINT OKAY  No lint problems.
>>> Running unit tests...
>>> No unit test engine is configured for this project.
>>>  PUSH STAGING  Pushing changes to staging area...
>>> sudo: a password is required
>>> fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>>>
>>> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>>> and the repository exists.
>>>  STAGING FAILED  Unable to push changes to the staging area.
>>> Usage Exception: Failed to push changes to staging area. Correct the
>>> issue, or use --skip-staging to skip this step.
>>>

>>> I believe that it worked for me before with my setup, and I seem to be
>>> in compliance with
>>>
>>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator#Startingoff:Fixingabugsubmittingareview
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bartosz
>>

>> --
>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
>> associates
>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad
>> http://sinenomine.net

Re: Can't push to staging area?

Ben Gamari-2
Bartosz Nitka <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the pointers, I dug a bit deeper and I've also found
> https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/diffusion_hosting/#troubleshooting-ssh.
>
> That prompted me to try:
>
> $ ssh -v -T -p 2222 [hidden email]
> git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/
>
> The result:
> Authenticated to phabricator-origin.haskell.org ([23.253.149.35]:2222).
> debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
> debug1: Requesting [hidden email]
> debug1: Entering interactive session.
> debug1: pledge: network
> debug1: Remote: Forced command.
> debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
> debug1: Remote: Forced command.
> debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: X11 forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: Agent forwarding disabled.
> debug1: Remote: Pty allocation disabled.
> debug1: Sending environment.
> debug1: Sending env LC_MEASUREMENT = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_PAPER = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_MONETARY = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LANG = en_GB.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_NAME = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_ADDRESS = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_NUMERIC = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_TELEPHONE = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_IDENTIFICATION = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending env LC_TIME = pl_PL.UTF-8
> debug1: Sending command: git-receive-pack /diffusion/GHCDIFF/
> sudo: a password is required
> debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
> debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype [hidden email] reply 0
> debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
> Transferred: sent 3292, received 3000 bytes, in 0.6 seconds
> Bytes per second: sent 5170.1, received 4711.6
> debug1: Exit status 1

Hmm, yes indeed this looks remote. I'll investigate.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Can't push to staging area?

Bartosz Nitka
I just want to report that it works for me now.

Thanks,
Bartosz

Re: Can't push to staging area?

Ben Gamari-2
Bartosz Nitka <[hidden email]> writes:

> I just want to report that it works for me now.

Indeed; I should have mentioned that I fixed it yesterday.

Cheers,

- Ben