Can't remove old haskell

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't remove old haskell

Lawrence Bottorff-2
I've followed the steps here; however, it doesn't replace or supercede an older version of ghci from my Ubuntu 18.04:

12:47:02:~$ which ghci
/opt/ghc/8.0.2/bin/ghci
12:47:14:~$ ghci --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.0.2

I've tried various removes, but to no avail. The newer version is on my system:

12:50:32:/usr/local/haskell/ghc-8.4.2-x86_64/bin$ ./ghci --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.4.2

But I don't know what to do about this old "default" version.

LB

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't remove old haskell

Francesco Ariis
Hello Lawrence,

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 12:52:01PM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I've tried various removes, but to no avail. The newer version is on my
> system:

There should be no need of removing the old version.

> 12:50:32:/usr/local/haskell/ghc-8.4.2-x86_64/bin$ ./ghci --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.4.2

What does `echo $PATH` say?

-F
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't remove old haskell

Lawrence Bottorff-2
PATH does indeed have /opt/ghc/8.0.2/bin which is no doubt why my command line call gets version 8.0.2. But since I didn't put it there (I didn't add it in my .bashrc; some older Haskell setup did?), I don't know how to get it out. Also, I need to use Haskell in Emacs org-mode which tends not to go by the $PATH in a Ubuntu GUI environment. So I've installed Emacs haskell-mode (latest from melpa, I believe.) I start it up -- and it gives me this:

The next big Haskell project is about to start!
If I break, you can:
  1. Restart:           M-x haskell-process-restart
  2. Configure logging: C-h v haskell-process-log (useful for debugging)
  3. General config:    M-x customize-mode
  4. Hide these tips:   C-h v haskell-process-show-debug-tips
Changed directory: /home/hercynian/Programs/Haskell/
λ>

. . . but this doesn't tell me what version. Is there a Haskell REPL command to find out what version?

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:57 PM Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Lawrence,

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 12:52:01PM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I've tried various removes, but to no avail. The newer version is on my
> system:

There should be no need of removing the old version.

> 12:50:32:/usr/local/haskell/ghc-8.4.2-x86_64/bin$ ./ghci --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.4.2

What does `echo $PATH` say?

-F
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't remove old haskell

Francesco Ariis
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 04:14:40PM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> Is there a Haskell REPL command to find out what version?

Type

    :t (<>)

inside the repl, if it gives an error you are still inside 8.0.2.
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't remove old haskell

Lawrence Bottorff-2
λ> :t (<>)
(<>) :: Semigroup a => a -> a -> a

I'm curious what this is. I'm guessing it's something that later versions can do?

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 04:14:40PM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> Is there a Haskell REPL command to find out what version?

Type

    :t (<>)

inside the repl, if it gives an error you are still inside 8.0.2.
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't remove old haskell

Francesco Ariis
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 06:17:33PM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> λ> :t (<>)
> (<>) :: Semigroup a => a -> a -> a
>
> I'm curious what this is. I'm guessing it's something that later versions
> can do?

Yes, since GHC 8.4 the operator `<>` is part of the Prelude. Congrats
on 8.4.2 working!
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/beginners