Chairship / responsibility

Richard Eisenberg-2
Hi Prime,

Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial announcement. I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted to clarify.

The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair, that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee, communicate well, both internally and externally.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Chairship / responsibility

wren romano-2
> Hi Prime,
>
> Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial announcement. I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted to clarify.
>
> The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair, that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee, communicate well, both internally and externally.

I don't know that we have one (officially), but I agree that
getting/agreeing-on one should be done soon.

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
Hello *,

On 2016-04-29 at 15:17:43 +0200, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such
> (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial
> announcement.
>
> I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and
> am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted
> to clarify.

Fwiw, I mentioned in the preceding CfN
(https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html)
that

| In consultation with the current members of the Haskell Prime
| committee (and Simon PJ), I have volunteered as chair to "reboot" the
| process and get things rolling again.

But you're right I failed to repeat this in the actual announcement.

However, I don't want to impose myself on the committee as chair. So if
anyone else feels motivated enough to pick up the role as chair with the
agreement of the committee I'll happily hand over the chair position!
:-)

Moreover, this doesn't need to be a static configuration: We could also
rotate the chair position (and other duties) over the lifetime of the
Haskell 2020 committee. There just needs to be one designated chair at
any time to keep things moving.

> The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about
> `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to
> make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair,
> that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee,
> communicate well, both internally and externally.

You're definitely right. And IMO the chair only needs to step in if
nobody else feels compelled to respond within a reasonable time, e.g. a
few days -- after all, we all have other duties besides the prime
committee :-)

-- hvr

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Andres Löh-2
Hi.

It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked
to be on the committee, and the fact that this question was already
answer was a factor in my decision to try to help. Being the committee
chair is less a position of power, and more a position of
responsibility. I think we can be very happy to have someone who is
willing to do the job, and I absolutely trust hvr to be up to the
task.

If needed, we can revisit the question over time when we have a better
idea how our usual workflow and processes look like, but I don't think
we need to or should have this discussion now.

Cheers,
  Andres

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello *,
>
> On 2016-04-29 at 15:17:43 +0200, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
>> Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such
>> (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial
>> announcement.
>>
>> I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and
>> am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted
>> to clarify.
>
> Fwiw, I mentioned in the preceding CfN
> (https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html)
> that
>
> | In consultation with the current members of the Haskell Prime
> | committee (and Simon PJ), I have volunteered as chair to "reboot" the
> | process and get things rolling again.
>
> But you're right I failed to repeat this in the actual announcement.
>
> However, I don't want to impose myself on the committee as chair. So if
> anyone else feels motivated enough to pick up the role as chair with the
> agreement of the committee I'll happily hand over the chair position!
> :-)
>
> Moreover, this doesn't need to be a static configuration: We could also
> rotate the chair position (and other duties) over the lifetime of the
> Haskell 2020 committee. There just needs to be one designated chair at
> any time to keep things moving.
>
>> The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about
>> `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to
>> make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair,
>> that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee,
>> communicate well, both internally and externally.
>
> You're definitely right. And IMO the chair only needs to step in if
> nobody else feels compelled to respond within a reasonable time, e.g. a
> few days -- after all, we all have other duties besides the prime
> committee :-)
>
> -- hvr

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Henrik Nilsson-2
Hi all,

 > It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked
 > to be on the committee, and the fact that this question was already
 > answer was a factor in my decision to try to help.

I agree completely with this.

And thanks to Herbert for now having completed the first step of the reboot.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Carter Schonwald

On Saturday, April 30, 2016, Henrik Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

> It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked
> to be on the committee, and the fact that this question was already
> answer was a factor in my decision to try to help.

I agree completely with this.

I as well, Herbert chairing was a big part of why I thought participating would be a productive and worthwhile experience that would accomplish its stated goals.

And thanks to Herbert for now having completed the first step of the reboot.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science
The University of Nottingham

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Chairship / responsibility

John Wiegley-2

>> It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked to be
>> on the committee, and the fact that this question was already answer was a
>> factor in my decision to try to help.

> I agree completely with this.

I also agree, and offer my thanks to Herbert for being willing to take up this
role from the beginning.

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

Re: Chairship / responsibility

José Manuel Calderón Trilla
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM, John Wiegley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked to be
>>> on the committee, and the fact that this question was already answer was a
>>> factor in my decision to try to help.
>
>> I agree completely with this.
>
> I also agree, and offer my thanks to Herbert for being willing to take up this
> role from the beginning.

Same here.

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Austin Seipp-5
Yes, I'm essentially on-board thanks to Herbert, who I know tends to
get shit done, and do it well.

Sorry Herbert - I think you're going to be unanimously voted in this
time, whatever exact details we sort out (like rotating committee
chairs). Perhaps we should let you think about those details and
advise us on them. :)

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 3:09 PM, José Manuel Calderón Trilla
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree completely with this.
>>
>> I also agree, and offer my thanks to Herbert for being willing to take up this
>> role from the beginning.
>
> Same here.

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Richard Eisenberg-2
Excellent. I'm very happy with how this thread has gone. :)

(I didn't mean to imply, by the way, that we were slow to answer the `pseq` question. It's just that as I was about to move the email out of my inbox, I realized that we might all do so, and that would be bad. Yes, a few days' time is quite reasonable before anyone has to step in.)

Richard

On Apr 30, 2016, at 6:28 PM, Austin Seipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I'm essentially on-board thanks to Herbert, who I know tends to
> get shit done, and do it well.
>
> Sorry Herbert - I think you're going to be unanimously voted in this
> time, whatever exact details we sort out (like rotating committee
> chairs). Perhaps we should let you think about those details and
> advise us on them. :)
>
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 3:09 PM, José Manuel Calderón Trilla
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I also agree, and offer my thanks to Herbert for being willing to take up this
>>> role from the beginning.
>>
>> Same here.

> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

Re: Chairship / responsibility

Nicolas Wu
Having Herbert as chair was also my understanding, and I'm very happy
for him to chair these discussions.

Nick

On 30 April 2016 at 09:38, Andres Löh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked
> to be on the committee, and the fact that this question was already
> answer was a factor in my decision to try to help. Being the committee
> chair is less a position of power, and more a position of
> responsibility. I think we can be very happy to have someone who is
> willing to do the job, and I absolutely trust hvr to be up to the
> task.
>
> If needed, we can revisit the question over time when we have a better
> idea how our usual workflow and processes look like, but I don't think
> we need to or should have this discussion now.
>
> Cheers,
>   Andres
>

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello *,
>>
>> On 2016-04-29 at 15:17:43 +0200, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
>>> Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such
>>> (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial
>>> announcement.
>>>
>>> I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and
>>> am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted
>>> to clarify.
>>
>> Fwiw, I mentioned in the preceding CfN
>> (https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html)
>> that
>>
>> | In consultation with the current members of the Haskell Prime
>> | committee (and Simon PJ), I have volunteered as chair to "reboot" the
>> | process and get things rolling again.
>>
>> But you're right I failed to repeat this in the actual announcement.
>>
>> However, I don't want to impose myself on the committee as chair. So if
>> anyone else feels motivated enough to pick up the role as chair with the
>> agreement of the committee I'll happily hand over the chair position!
>> :-)
>>
>> Moreover, this doesn't need to be a static configuration: We could also
>> rotate the chair position (and other duties) over the lifetime of the
>> Haskell 2020 committee. There just needs to be one designated chair at
>> any time to keep things moving.
>>
>>> The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about
>>> `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to
>>> make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair,
>>> that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee,
>>> communicate well, both internally and externally.
>>
>> You're definitely right. And IMO the chair only needs to step in if
>> nobody else feels compelled to respond within a reasonable time, e.g. a
>> few days -- after all, we all have other duties besides the prime
>> committee :-)
>>
>> -- hvr

RE: Chairship / responsibility

Simon Peyton Jones
|  It was my understanding that Herbert would be the chair when I asked to
|  be on the committee, and the fact that this question was already answer
|  was a factor in my decision to try to help. Being the committee chair
|  is less a position of power, and more a position of responsibility. I
|  think we can be very happy to have someone who is willing to do the
|  job, and I absolutely trust hvr to be up to the task.

Andres says this well.  Being chair is a facilitating role, helping discussions make progress, and gently pressing them forward to a conclusion.

I'm very grateful to Herbert for taking it on -- thank you!

Simon

Henk-Jan van Tuyl

:
> | In consultation with the current members of the Haskell Prime
> | committee (and Simon PJ), I have volunteered as chair to "reboot" the
> | process and get things rolling again.
:

I think it's great that you want to do this!

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
Folding@home