Cleanly setting C compiler options when building RTS

Cleanly setting C compiler options when building RTS

Siddharth Bhat
Hello all,

I was interested in building the GHC RTS with GCC's AddressSanitizer and Ubsan enabled.

What I want to do very specifically is to pass "-fsanitize=address -fsanitize=undefined" when compiling the RTS.

What's the "correct" way to set this up in the build system? Is there a configure flag? Do I need to change the Shake script?
Thanks,
~Siddharth

Re: Cleanly setting C compiler options when building RTS

Alp Mestanogullari-2

Since you mention the Shake script, should we assume you're using Hadrian, or the Make build system?

On 11/07/2019 11:19, Siddharth Bhat wrote:
Hello all,

I was interested in building the GHC RTS with GCC's AddressSanitizer and Ubsan enabled.

What I want to do very specifically is to pass "-fsanitize=address -fsanitize=undefined" when compiling the RTS.

What's the "correct" way to set this up in the build system? Is there a configure flag? Do I need to change the Shake script?
Thanks,
~Siddharth

Alp Mestanogullari, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England and Wales, OC335890
118 Wymering Mansions, Wymering Road, London, W9 2NF, England

Re: Cleanly setting C compiler options when building RTS

Matthew Pickering
Hi Siddharth,

The correct way is to create a custom flavour with something like the
following in.

grts = quickFlavour { name = "grts", args = args quickFlavour <>
(builder Cc ? package rts ? arg "-g3" <> arg "-O0") }

Cheers,

Matt

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:20 AM Siddharth Bhat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was interested in building the GHC RTS with GCC's AddressSanitizer and Ubsan enabled.
>
> What I want to do very specifically is to pass "-fsanitize=address -fsanitize=undefined" when compiling the RTS.
>
> What's the "correct" way to set this up in the build system? Is there a configure flag? Do I need to change the Shake script?
> Thanks,
> ~Siddharth

Re: Cleanly setting C compiler options when building RTS

Alp Mestanogullari-2
That's indeed one Hadrian solution. An alternative one (requires
'master' from yesterday) is:

$ hadrian/build.sh --flavour=... "stage1.rts.cc.c.opts +=
-fsanitize=address -fsanitize=undefined"

Note that I'm not quite sure who between GHC and the C compiler gets
invoked to build the RTS. If it's GHC, then you'll need to replace
'builder Cc' in Matthew's solution with 'builder (Ghc CompileCWithGhc)',
or with the key-value style approach:

$ hadrian/build.sh --flavour=... "stage1.rts.ghc.c.opts +=
-fsanitize=address -fsanitize=undefined"

You can find more about how both of those settings mechanisms work here:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/blob/master/hadrian/doc/user-settings.md

... once GitLab works again. :-)

Until then:
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/hadrian/doc/user-settings.md