Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Peter Jones
Except for bug fixes, I'd like to call for a freeze on commits to the
xmonad and xmonad-contrib repositories until we get a release out.

At this point I think we have everything we need in place.  Let's take
advantage of the weekend and let as many people as possible test 0.12.
Then on Monday I'll open pull requests from my repos and we can tag and
release.

For reference, the following repositories have the latest changes plus
all of my documentation updates:

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad/tree/release-0.12

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/tree/release-0.12

I also put together a stand-alone repository to help me test xmonad and
xmonad-contrib using GHC 7.10.2, 7.8.4, and 7.6.3.  (We should plan on
making another release in January to cover 7.10.3.)

My testing repository can be found at:

  https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-test/tree/release-0.12

So, please go forth and read the docs and compile the code!

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

gansteed
Actually, ArchLinux is using GHC 7.10.3 now.

Peter Jones <[hidden email]>于2015年12月12日周六 上午2:31写道:
[...]

Ondřej Súkup
in January/February maybe another release to cover 8.0.1 :)

7.10.3 is mainly bugfix ==> +- same results of test as 7.10.2

On 12 December 2015 at 05:00, gansteed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, ArchLinux is using GHC 7.10.3 now.
>
> Peter Jones <[hidden email]>于2015年12月12日周六 上午2:31写道:
>>
>> Except for bug fixes, I'd like to call for a freeze on commits to the
>> xmonad and xmonad-contrib repositories until we get a release out.
>>
>> At this point I think we have everything we need in place.  Let's take
>> advantage of the weekend and let as many people as possible test 0.12.
>> Then on Monday I'll open pull requests from my repos and we can tag and
>> release.
>>
>> For reference, the following repositories have the latest changes plus
>> all of my documentation updates:
>>
>>   https://github.com/pjones/xmonad/tree/release-0.12
>>
>>   https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-contrib/tree/release-0.12
>>
>> I also put together a stand-alone repository to help me test xmonad and
>> xmonad-contrib using GHC 7.10.2, 7.8.4, and 7.6.3.  (We should plan on
>> making another release in January to cover 7.10.3.)
>>
>> My testing repository can be found at:
>>
>>   https://github.com/pjones/xmonad-test/tree/release-0.12
>>
>> So, please go forth and read the docs and compile the code!
>>
>> --
>> Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
>> Defending the honor of good code

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Peter Jones
If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
list in the cabal file.

Ondřej Súkup <[hidden email]> writes:
> in January/February maybe another release to cover 8.0.1 :)
>
> 7.10.3 is mainly bugfix ==> +- same results of test as 7.10.2

--
Peter Jones, Founder, Devalot.com
Defending the honor of good code

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Tuncer Ayaz
On 14 December 2015 at 17:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
> tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
> list in the cabal file.

I didn't run tests, but fwiw I'm using xmonad + xmonad-contrib built
with 7.10.3.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Brent Yorgey
Sorry it took a little longer to get to this than I thought, I had a few unexpected things to deal with at the end of the semester.  But I think everything looks good now and I'm about to pull the trigger and upload to Hackage, unless anyone has any last minute questions/comments.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 17:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
> tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
> list in the cabal file.

I didn't run tests, but fwiw I'm using xmonad + xmonad-contrib built
with 7.10.3.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Brent Yorgey
OK, well, I've tested everything and put v0.12 tags on both xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  However, it appears that only Adam Vogt has the power to upload these packages to Hackage.  Adam, could you add me and Peter as uploaders/maintainers for those packages on Hackage?  Thanks!

-Brent

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry it took a little longer to get to this than I thought, I had a few unexpected things to deal with at the end of the semester.  But I think everything looks good now and I'm about to pull the trigger and upload to Hackage, unless anyone has any last minute questions/comments.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 17:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
> tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
> list in the cabal file.

I didn't run tests, but fwiw I'm using xmonad + xmonad-contrib built
with 7.10.3.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Adam Vogt

Hello Brent and Peter,

Hackage should accept your upload now.

Thanks for putting this release together

Regards
Adam

On Dec 18, 2015 3:59 PM, "Brent Yorgey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, well, I've tested everything and put v0.12 tags on both xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  However, it appears that only Adam Vogt has the power to upload these packages to Hackage.  Adam, could you add me and Peter as uploaders/maintainers for those packages on Hackage?  Thanks!

-Brent

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry it took a little longer to get to this than I thought, I had a few unexpected things to deal with at the end of the semester.  But I think everything looks good now and I'm about to pull the trigger and upload to Hackage, unless anyone has any last minute questions/comments.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 17:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
> tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
> list in the cabal file.

I didn't run tests, but fwiw I'm using xmonad + xmonad-contrib built
with 7.10.3.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Brent Yorgey
Thanks Adam!  xmonad 0.12 is now on Hackage!

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 3:18 PM adam vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Brent and Peter,

Hackage should accept your upload now.

Thanks for putting this release together

Regards

Adam

On Dec 18, 2015 3:59 PM, "Brent Yorgey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, well, I've tested everything and put v0.12 tags on both xmonad and xmonad-contrib.  However, it appears that only Adam Vogt has the power to upload these packages to Hackage.  Adam, could you add me and Peter as uploaders/maintainers for those packages on Hackage?  Thanks!

-Brent

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry it took a little longer to get to this than I thought, I had a few unexpected things to deal with at the end of the semester.  But I think everything looks good now and I'm about to pull the trigger and upload to Hackage, unless anyone has any last minute questions/comments.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 17:05, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If someone can explicitly state that all the xmonad + xmonad-contrib
> tests pass under 7.10.3 then I'm happy to add it to the tested compilers
> list in the cabal file.

I didn't run tests, but fwiw I'm using xmonad + xmonad-contrib built
with 7.10.3.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Brent Yorgey
Is there anything else that needs to happen?  e.g. does the website need to be updated?

Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> Is there anything else that needs to happen?  e.g. does the website need to
> be updated?

According to the TODO file this is what we have left:

  * generate, and push website haddocks with xmonad-web/gen-docs.sh

  * update #xmonad topic

  * email announce

On 21 December 2015 at 22:08, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Is there anything else that needs to happen? e.g. does the website
> > need to be updated?
>
> According to the TODO file this is what we have left:
>
>   * generate, and push website haddocks with xmonad-web/gen-docs.sh
>
>   * update #xmonad topic
>
>   * email announce

Maybe the announcement should end with a list of contributors. We can
begin with the git repos, and for the next release it might make sense
to include tickets as well, but I'm not sure about that. You could run
something like this on all repos and embed a single sorted list:

git log v0.11.. --format="%aN" --reverse \

On Dec 22, 2015 5:14 AM, "Tuncer Ayaz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 December 2015 at 22:08, Peter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > Is there anything else that needs to happen? e.g. does the website
> > > need to be updated?
> >
> > According to the TODO file this is what we have left:
> >
> >   * generate, and push website haddocks with xmonad-web/gen-docs.sh
> >
> >   * update #xmonad topic
> >
> >   * email announce
>
> Maybe the announcement should end with a list of contributors. We can
> begin with the git repos, and for the next release it might make sense
> to include tickets as well, but I'm not sure about that. You could run
> something like this on all repos and embed a single sorted list:
>
> git log v0.11.. --format="%aN" --reverse \
>     | perl -e 'my %dedupe; while (<STDIN>) { print unless $dedupe{$_}++}'

We did list contributors in previous announces. Darcs cleaned up the list using an .authorspellings file (checked into the contrib repo), but I can't find an equivalent feature built-into git.

Regards,
Adam

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM, adam vogt <[hidden email]> wrote:
We did list contributors in previous announces. Darcs cleaned up the list using an .authorspellings file (checked into the contrib repo), but I can't find an equivalent feature built-into git.

Git can use .mailmap but IIRC it's not as automated.

On 21 December 2015 at 20:16, Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anything else that needs to happen? e.g. does the website
> need to be updated?

Here's a minimal, modern xmonad.hs, which we should include in the
announcement and ideally also on the website's getting started page.
Feel free to improve.

import           System.Exit
import           XMonad
import           XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import           XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import           XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers
import           XMonad.Layout.Fullscreen
import           XMonad.Layout.LayoutHints
import           XMonad.Layout.NoBorders
import           XMonad.Prompt
import           XMonad.Prompt.ConfirmPrompt
import           XMonad.Prompt.Shell
import           XMonad.Util.EZConfig
import           XMonad.Util.Run(hPutStrLn, spawnPipe)

main = do
    xmproc <- spawnPipe "xmobar ~/.xmonad/xmobarrc"
    xmonad $ defaultConfig
       {
          terminal = "xterm"
        , manageHook = myManageHook <+> fullscreenManageHook <+> manageDocks
                       <+> manageHook defaultConfig
        , layoutHook = fullscreenFloat $ fullscreenFocus $ layoutHints
                       $ smartBorders $ avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig
        , handleEventHook = fullscreenEventHook
        , logHook = dynamicLogWithPP $ xmobarPP { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc }
       }
       `removeKeysP`
         [
            "M-S-q"
          , "M-p"
         ]
       `additionalKeysP`
         [
            ("M-S-q", confirmPrompt myXPConfig "exit" $ io exitSuccess)
          , ("M-p", shellPrompt myXPConfig)
         ]
       `additionalKeys`
        [ ((mod4Mask, xK_q), spawn "xmonad --recompile && xmonad --restart") ]

myXPConfig = defaultXPConfig
    {
      position = Top
    , promptBorderWidth = 0
    , defaultText = ""
    , alwaysHighlight = True
    , font = "9x15"
    }

myManageHook = composeAll
    [
      className =? "Pidgin"             --> doFloat
    , className =? "MuPDF"              --> doFloat
    , className =? "XCalc"              --> doFloat
    , className =? "mpv"                --> doFloat
    ]

sample-xmonad.hs (2K) Download Attachment

On 28 December 2015 at 14:51, Tuncer Ayaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a minimal, modern xmonad.hs, which we should include in the
> announcement and ideally also on the website's getting started page.
> Feel free to improve.

Accidentally omitted:

What's modern about it is that it uses

(1) the new config module
(2) built-in launcher prompt
(3) built-in prompt module for exit confirmation

It doesn't require dmenu and shows how to configure key bindings the
modern way.

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Alain Bertrand
Le 28/12/2015 14:51, Tuncer Ayaz a écrit :

> Here's a minimal, modern xmonad.hs, which we should include in the
> announcement and ideally also on the website's getting started page.
> Feel free to improve.
>
> import           System.Exit

[snip quote]

Hi, all,
May I had a suggestion : add as a comment what is needed to use xmonad
with AZERTY keyboards, where defaults for 1234567890 are &é"'(-è_çà .
Ideally, one should have only to uncomment a few line to get xmonad to
work whith those keyboards.

Best regards,

Alain

(add sorry for the personal answer instead of the mailing-list)

Re: Code Freeze for v0.12 and Time to Test!

Devin Mullins-3

Interesting, I didn't know about ConfirmPrompt! So many contrib modules.

FYI, you don't need to use removeKeysP to update existing key bindings, as it's backed by a Data.Map - just the additionalKeysP will do.

Also, insert shameless plug for the even more modern X.C.Prime module - I think it makes configs look nicer, personally.

The first result for https://www.google.com/search?q=xmonad+azerty looks good. Does that work?