Collecting examples where GHC generates unintuitive error messages

Collecting examples where GHC generates unintuitive error messages

Siddharth Bhat
Hello all,

A discussion of GHC and error messages came up on ghc-devs. I'd like to give back to the community and try to improve this part of GHC. So, I created a repo to collect error messages (https://github.com/bollu/hask-error-messages-catalog). That way, there's some concrete context for anyone who's working on the error messages subsystem of GHC.

Elm does this as well (https://github.com/elm-lang/error-message-catalog), though they catalogue *all* errors.

I'd be grateful for short examples where GHC generates unintuitive error messages, and perhaps a short explanation of what *would* be useful if possible. If you do have certain examples, please either open a pull request against the repository, or post a snippet on the mailing list.

Thanks for the help,
~Siddharth
--
Sending this from my phone, please excuse any typos!

Re: Collecting examples where GHC generates unintuitive error messages

Simon  Thompson
I did something like this for Hugs a long time ago. Not directly relevant, but might be of interest.

Simon T.
On 6 Jun 2017, at 08:46, Siddharth Bhat <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Simon Thompson | Professor of Logic and Computation
School of Computing | University of Kent | Canterbury, CT2 7NF, UK
[hidden email] | M +44 7986 085754 | W www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt