Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Asfand Yar Qazi-7
Hi,

I filed a bug report for a compile error in the latest GHC build, but nobody
has responded to it for 4 days.  I might as well try to fix it myself, but I'm
just a functional programming and Haskell beginner.

Here's the bug I filed:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/715

Here's what the output of GHC says:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
 in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
------------------------------------------------------------------------
../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
-fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
-DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
-fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi

Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
    Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
           against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
      Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
      Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
    In the expression:
        makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
    In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
        captureNumSamples device
                            = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
device) CaptureSamples)
make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries'
make: *** [build] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'

Here is where (I think) the problem lies (I added the line numbers):

File Capture.hs:

42: type NumSamples = ALCsizei

83: captureNumSamples :: Device -> GettableStateVar NumSamples
84: captureNumSamples device =
85:    makeGettableStateVar $ getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples

ALCsizei is defined in a file Config.hs two directories below this point:

108: -- | Non-negatitve 32-bit binary integer size
109: type ALCsizei = HTYPE_ALCSIZEI

A C header file has the entry '#define HTYPE_ALCSIZEI Word32'.

Know what's happening?  Thanks
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Taral
On 3/13/06, Asfand Yar Qazi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 42: type NumSamples = ALCsizei
> 109: type ALCsizei = HTYPE_ALCSIZEI
>
> A C header file has the entry '#define HTYPE_ALCSIZEI Word32'.

I suspect ALCint is not Word32.

--
Taral <[hidden email]>
"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes."
    -- Edsger Dijkstra
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Simon Marlow-5
In reply to this post by Asfand Yar Qazi-7
Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

> I filed a bug report for a compile error in the latest GHC build, but nobody
> has responded to it for 4 days.  I might as well try to fix it myself, but I'm
> just a functional programming and Haskell beginner.
>
> Here's the bug I filed:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/715
>
> Here's what the output of GHC says:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
>  in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
> -fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
> -DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
> -fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
> Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi
>
> Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
>     Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
>            against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
>       Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
>       Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
>     In the expression:
>         makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
>     In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
>         captureNumSamples device
>                             = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
> device) CaptureSamples)
> make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries'
> make: *** [build] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'

Unless you need the OpenAL library, you could try configuring with
--disable-openal as a workaround.  I imagine the OpenAL maintainer will
get to this bug in due course.

Cheers,
        Simon
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Sven Panne
Am Dienstag, 14. März 2006 11:39 schrieb Simon Marlow:

> Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> > I filed a bug report for a compile error in the latest GHC build, but
> > nobody has responded to it for 4 days.  I might as well try to fix it
> > myself, but I'm just a functional programming and Haskell beginner.
> >
> > Here's the bug I filed:
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/715
> >
> > Here's what the output of GHC says:
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > ==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
> >  in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > ../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
> > -fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
> > -DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
> > -fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
> > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi
> >
> > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
> >     Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
> >            against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
> >       Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
> >       Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
> >     In the expression:
> >         makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
> >     In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
> >         captureNumSamples device
> >                             = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
> > device) CaptureSamples)
> > make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries' make: *** [build]
> > Error 1
> > make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'
>
> Unless you need the OpenAL library, you could try configuring with
> --disable-openal as a workaround.  I imagine the OpenAL maintainer will
> get to this bug in due course.

Hmmm, this is strange: I've built GHC from the "official" darcs repository
yesterday without any problems. I'm having a look at what might be the
difference when I have all my tools back at the bleeding edge...

Cheers,
   S.

P.S.: Guaranteeing a bug response time < 4 days is a bit tricky when one is
away on a business trip for a week. :-] If somebody actually payed me for my
Haskell work, this situation would probably improve...
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Stepan Golosunov
On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:42:17PM +0100, Sven Panne wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 14. März 2006 11:39 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> > Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> > > I filed a bug report for a compile error in the latest GHC build, but
> > > nobody has responded to it for 4 days.  I might as well try to fix it
> > > myself, but I'm just a functional programming and Haskell beginner.
> > >
> > > Here's the bug I filed:
> > > http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/715
> > >
> > > Here's what the output of GHC says:
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > ==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
> > >  in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > ../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
> > > -fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
> > > -DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
> > > -fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
> > > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi
> > >
> > > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
> > >     Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
> > >            against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
> > >       Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
> > >       Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
> > >     In the expression:
> > >         makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
> > >     In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
> > >         captureNumSamples device
> > >                             = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
> > > device) CaptureSamples)
> > > make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
> > > make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > > `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries' make: *** [build]
> > > Error 1
> > > make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'
> >
> > Unless you need the OpenAL library, you could try configuring with
> > --disable-openal as a workaround.  I imagine the OpenAL maintainer will
> > get to this bug in due course.
>
> Hmmm, this is strange: I've built GHC from the "official" darcs repository
> yesterday without any problems. I'm having a look at what might be the
> difference when I have all my tools back at the bleeding edge...

I always get this error if I try to build ghc 6.5 on Debian 3.1 without
--disable-openal --disable-alut. I guess it has to do with older version
of libopenal (it's 0.2004090900-1.1 here).
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Sven Panne
Am Sonntag, 19. März 2006 21:16 schrieb Stepan Golosunov:
> I always get this error if I try to build ghc 6.5 on Debian 3.1 without
> --disable-openal --disable-alut. I guess it has to do with older version
> of libopenal (it's 0.2004090900-1.1 here).

Could you send a log of the configuration stage plus the generated config.log
files in the OpenAL/ALUT packages, please? Without that it's a bit hard to
guess what's going on...

Cheers,
   S.
_______________________________________________
Haskell mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

shelarcy
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:46:18 +0900, Asfand Yar Qazi <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
>  in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
> -fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
> -DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
> -fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
> Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi
> Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
>     Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
>            against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
>       Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
>       Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
>     In the expression:
>         makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
>     In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
>         captureNumSamples device
>                             = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
> device) CaptureSamples)
> make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory  
> `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries'
> make: *** [build] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'
> Here is where (I think) the problem lies (I added the line numbers):
Under Mac OS X platform - that is use OpenAL 1.0, because no Official  
package
of OpenAL 1.1 and ALUT is released yet - building HEAD cause same error,

(Of course, HEAD's OpenAL can't build on Mac OS X platform, because of
configure.ac's problem. So I tested my patched version.)


So I undefined Sound.OpenAL.ALC.Capture module under Mac OS X
platform, previouse patch of libraries mailing list.

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2006-March/005102.html

I don't know Sven read this, and try to test this patch.


On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:54:38 +0900, Sven Panne <[hidden email]>  
wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 19. März 2006 21:16 schrieb Stepan Golosunov:
>> I always get this error if I try to build ghc 6.5 on Debian 3.1 without
>> --disable-openal --disable-alut. I guess it has to do with older version
>> of libopenal (it's 0.2004090900-1.1 here).
>
> Could you send a log of the configuration stage plus the generated  
> config.log
> files in the OpenAL/ALUT packages, please? Without that it's a bit hard  
> to guess what's going on...

Okay. I send a log of ALUT and patched version of OpenAL package.

--
shelarcy <shelarcy capella.freemail.ne.jp>
http://page.freett.com/shelarcy/

openal.config.log (57K) Download Attachment