Compiling GHC in Windows, Mingw

Esa Ilari Vuokko
Hi!

I tried to compile ghc from cvs head in windows, hosting and
targetting mingw.  When I got  ghc to compile, it crashes while
parsing (I putStrLn-debugged) package.conf, but only from installed
position.

Basically, somewhere inside ParsePkgConf.loadPackageConfig GHC crashes
with access violation.  With very few test runs, it appears that
simplifying the file helps, but only case I got it not to crash was
one package in file, rts, and empty ldOptions.

Maybe I went wrong somewhere, any pointers appreciated!

What I did:
Current msys, msysdtk, binutils, win32api, gcc-core.
cvs checkout fpconfig and in there ghc, libraries, alex and happy
autoreconf
 ./configure --host=i386-unknown-mingw32
--with-gcc=d:/tools/msys/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
make
make install

(I had to change some things, as described on mail to bugs-list, so
few repeated make's)

I will try clean rebuild later, but I feel doubtful.

Best regards,
--Esa

RE: Compiling GHC in Windows, Mingw

Simon Marlow
On 17 November 2005 06:15, Esa Ilari Vuokko wrote:

> I tried to compile ghc from cvs head in windows, hosting and
> targetting mingw.  When I got  ghc to compile, it crashes while
> parsing (I putStrLn-debugged) package.conf, but only from installed
> position.
>
> Basically, somewhere inside ParsePkgConf.loadPackageConfig GHC crashes
> with access violation.  With very few test runs, it appears that
> simplifying the file helps, but only case I got it not to crash was
> one package in file, rts, and empty ldOptions.
>
> Maybe I went wrong somewhere, any pointers appreciated!
>
> What I did:
> Current msys, msysdtk, binutils, win32api, gcc-core.
> cvs checkout fpconfig and in there ghc, libraries, alex and happy
> autoreconf
>  ./configure --host=i386-unknown-mingw32
> --with-gcc=d:/tools/msys/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
> make
> make install

I haven't seen this, but I'm just updating my Windows build to try to
reproduce.  Does it happen with the stage1 or stage2 compiler?  What
version of GHC are you bootstrapping with?

On 11/17/05, Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 November 2005 06:15, Esa Ilari Vuokko wrote:
>

> I haven't seen this, but I'm just updating my Windows build to try to
> reproduce.  Does it happen with the stage1 or stage2 compiler?  What
> version of GHC are you bootstrapping with?

Stage2, and only when it is already in installed location.  Stage1 compiler
didn't work at all from installed location (hangs).

Bootstrapped with ghc-6.4.1 installed from ghc-6.4.1-bld1.msi on homepage.

I will start a new clean build, hope it goes away and I need to look into buying
non-broken hardware... ;)

Thanks,

On 11/17/05, Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I will start a new clean build, hope it goes away and I need to look into buying
> non-broken hardware... ;)

The build failed and I sent mail about it on cvs-ghc list this time, even if
something seemed to rip away my message and just leave attachmenent..

Anyway, I downloaded few nightly builds and it seems this happens with 11-17
build as well, but not with 11-16, so it's really recent.

Hth,

On 17 November 2005 21:37, Esa Ilari Vuokko wrote:

> On 11/17/05, Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I will start a new clean build, hope it goes away and I need to look
>> into buying non-broken hardware... ;)
>
> The build failed and I sent mail about it on cvs-ghc list this time,
> even if something seemed to rip away my message and just leave
> attachmenent..
>
> Anyway, I downloaded few nightly builds and it seems this happens
> with 11-17 build as well, but not with 11-16, so it's really recent.

I think I have just fixed this (modification to the mangler in
ghc/driver/mangler), please try again.

On 11/18/05, Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I have just fixed this (modification to the mangler in
> ghc/driver/mangler), please try again.

It compiles again!  Thanks!

..but it still crashes on installed location, probably still while
reading the package.conf  But it seems you committed stuff, I'll
cvs upd, clean and restart build.

On 11/18/05, Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/18/05, Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think I have just fixed this (modification to the mangler in
> > ghc/driver/mangler), please try again.
>
> It compiles again!  Thanks!
>
> ..but it still crashes on installed location, probably still while
> reading the package.conf  But it seems you committed stuff, I'll
> cvs upd, clean and restart build.

Yeah, still crashes, same as before :-(

Best regards,
--Esa