Configuration of Environment

juncheng_hsk@outlook.com

Hi All,

Im a newcomer to Haskell and mailing list, so I am not sure if my question is proper.

I use notepad++ to learn Haskell now. Are there any suggestions or conventions which can help me learn Haskell?

Best regards,

Juncheng

Re: Configuration of Environment

Leonhard Applis
> Hi All,
>

> I’m a newcomer to Haskell and mailing list, so I am not sure if my question is proper.
>

> I use notepad++ to learn Haskell now. Are there any suggestions or conventions which can help me learn Haskell?
>

> Best regards,
> Juncheng

Hi Juncheng,

I think for learning "code", as in writing nice code, get yourself the Hlinter [1] running.

It really spots great improvements and some very haskelly ways.

For Learning purposes I would suggest that you first "try it your way" step by step, and check every step with hlint.

So: fun1 -> Hlint -> fun2 -> Hlint

Additionally you might want to enable a spell-checker (like, a normal one, for english).

Last thing you might find very useful is a local Hoogle [2] install.
It's amazingly convenient if you want to know, e.g. the function which gives a length of a list, but you don't remember if it was len, length, size, count ...

So you just search for [a] -> Int and voila.

Second Hoogle can help you find similar functions to what you are currently building, often you are implementing something that is somewhere as a higher order function already.

best regards,
Leonhard

[1] Hlint: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hlint
[2] Hoogle: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hoogle