Configure: gcc problem under mingw/i386

Niculae Ionita
Hi all,

I'm new to GHC Dev and I'm trying to build GHC 7.7 (the repo is about 9
days old) on a Windows machine with mingw32. I followed the very helpful
article for newcomers to GHC dev (
http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers# ) and up to configure it
was easy.

Now I get a problem with configure, the last few output lines are:

GHC build  : i386-unknown-mingw32
GHC host   : i386-unknown-mingw32
GHC target : i386-unknown-mingw32
configure: Building in-tree ghc-pwd
checking for path to top of build tree... j:/ghc
checking for gcc... j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/j/ghc':
See `config.log' for more details

 From config.log it's clear that j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.exe is
missing (actually already the bin is missing). My gcc is in /mingw/bin,
which is in PATH, but even if I try with the option

--with-gcc=/mingw/bin/gcc

I get the same error.

So I was looking in the configure script and found out that, for mingw32
and i386, gcc must be under $hardtop/inplace/mingw/bin/, and if not,
there are commands to unpack all tools from tar files like
ghc-tarballs/mingw/binutils*.tar.lzma and a few others.

The point is, I don't have the subdirectory ghc-tarballs under my ghc
directory.

Now, my questions:

1. Are there any reasons to not use the building tools coming from the
mingw installation, and use the dedicated ones?

2. Where could I find those tarballs? Did I miss something when updated
the repositories?

Thanks,
Nicu

Configure: gcc problem under mingw/i386

Austin Seipp-4
Please update your GHC repository tree, then run:

./sync-all get

There was a bug I fixed today where 'msys' wasn't correctly detected as
Windows, so it skipped the ghc-tarballs repository.

Then make sure you do './sync-all pull' to update everything else (there
were other changes that require syncing.)

Hopefully that helps.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Niculae Ionita <nicu at ionita.at> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to GHC Dev and I'm trying to build GHC 7.7 (the repo is about 9
> days old) on a Windows machine with mingw32. I followed the very helpful
> article for newcomers to GHC dev ( http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/**
> ghc/wiki/Newcomers# <http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers#> )
> and up to configure it was easy.
>
> Now I get a problem with configure, the last few output lines are:
>
> GHC build  : i386-unknown-mingw32
> GHC host   : i386-unknown-mingw32
> GHC target : i386-unknown-mingw32
> configure: Building in-tree ghc-pwd
> checking for path to top of build tree... j:/ghc
> checking for gcc... j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.**exe
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/j/ghc':
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> From config.log it's clear that j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.**exe is
> missing (actually already the bin is missing). My gcc is in /mingw/bin,
> which is in PATH, but even if I try with the option
>
> --with-gcc=/mingw/bin/gcc
>
> I get the same error.
>
> So I was looking in the configure script and found out that, for mingw32
> and i386, gcc must be under $hardtop/inplace/mingw/bin/, and if not, there
> are commands to unpack all tools from tar files like
> ghc-tarballs/mingw/binutils*.**tar.lzma and a few others.
>
> The point is, I don't have the subdirectory ghc-tarballs under my ghc
> directory.
>
> Now, my questions:
>
> 1. Are there any reasons to not use the building tools coming from the
> mingw installation, and use the dedicated ones?
>
> 2. Where could I find those tarballs? Did I miss something when updated
> the repositories?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicu

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Configure: gcc problem under mingw/i386

Mateusz Kowalczyk
On 23/08/13 22:13, Niculae Ionita wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to GHC Dev and I'm trying to build GHC 7.7 (the repo is about 9
> days old) on a Windows machine with mingw32. I followed the very helpful
> article for newcomers to GHC dev (
> http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers# ) and up to configure it
> was easy.
>
> Now I get a problem with configure, the last few output lines are:
>
> GHC build  : i386-unknown-mingw32
> GHC host   : i386-unknown-mingw32
> GHC target : i386-unknown-mingw32
> configure: Building in-tree ghc-pwd
> checking for path to top of build tree... j:/ghc
> checking for gcc... j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/j/ghc':
> See `config.log' for more details
>
>  From config.log it's clear that j:/ghc/inplace/mingw/bin/gcc.exe is
> missing (actually already the bin is missing). My gcc is in /mingw/bin,
> which is in PATH, but even if I try with the option
>
> --with-gcc=/mingw/bin/gcc
>
> I get the same error.
>
> So I was looking in the configure script and found out that, for mingw32
> and i386, gcc must be under $hardtop/inplace/mingw/bin/, and if not,
> there are commands to unpack all tools from tar files like
> ghc-tarballs/mingw/binutils*.tar.lzma and a few others.
>
> The point is, I don't have the subdirectory ghc-tarballs under my ghc
> directory.
>
> Now, my questions:
>
> 1. Are there any reasons to not use the building tools coming from the
> mingw installation, and use the dedicated ones?
>
> 2. Where could I find those tarballs? Did I miss something when updated
> the repositories?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicu

A lot of these questions have been answered in the recent thread by
Simon titled ?Building on windows?.

http://www.mail-archive.com/ghc-devs at haskell.org/msg02094.html

--
Mateusz K.

Am 23.08.2013 23:18, schrieb Mateusz Kowalczyk:
> A lot of these questions have been answered in the recent thread by
> Simon titled ?Building on windows?.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ghc-devs at haskell.org/msg02094.html
Thanks, I will read that thread first.
Nicu

Configure: gcc problem under mingw/i386

Niculae Ionita
Yes, with these steps and also later with the correction from Kyle Van
Berendonck (
http://www.mail-archive.com/ghc-devs at haskell.org/msg02096.html ) it
compiles on Windows too.

Thanks, Nicu