Congrats. to wxHaskell

Don Stewart-2
I just want to congratulate the wxHaskell team on their new release.
With GHC 6.10 RC, cabal 1.6, and cabal-install 0.6, I was able to
simply,

    cabal install wxcore wx

And it all worked.

Well done!

-- Don

Re: Congrats. to wxHaskell

Gianfranco Alongi
Is it crash / bug -free?
I know this has been a big issue with WxHaskell, something that made me use HGL.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just want to congratulate the wxHaskell team on their new release.
> With GHC 6.10 RC, cabal 1.6, and cabal-install 0.6, I was able to
> simply,
>
>    cabal install wxcore wx
>
> And it all worked.
>
> Well done!
>
> -- Don

Patience is the last resort for those unable to take action

Re: Congrats. to wxHaskell

Henk-Jan van Tuyl
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:45:17 +0200, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just want to congratulate the wxHaskell team on their new release.
> With GHC 6.10 RC, cabal 1.6, and cabal-install 0.6, I was able to
> simply,
>
>     cabal install wxcore wx
>
> And it all worked.
>
> Well done!
>
> -- Don

I wish it were all that simple to me, but it turned out to be another
session of eternal yak-shaving for me. My fault I suspect, I should have
known better then to buy a Windows computer.

I downloaded wxWindows 2.8.9 and tried to build it with the supplied
makefile as
suggested in the installation manual (I have MinGW and MSSY installed):
       make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug
but makefile.gcc contains serious bugs.

I then continued to build according to the build instructions on
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Building#building_wxWidgets_on_Windows
but these instructions specifically state the contrib should be built and
the first command to do this failed: cd contrib/src, because there is no
such directory 'contrib'.

Trying to install wxHaskell:
> cabal install --global wx
[...]
install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.o
install directory: /usr/local/lib/
install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.pkg
cat config/wxcore.pkg | sed -e "s|\${wxhlibdir}|/usr/local/lib|" | ghc-pkg
update -
Reading package info from stdin ... done.
ghc-pkg.exe: /usr/local/lib/imports doesn't exist or isn't a directory
(use --force to override)
"make": *** [wxcore-register] Error 1
wx-0.10.5 depends on wxcore-0.10.5 which failed to install.
wxcore-0.10.5 failed during the final install step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 2

The directory /usr/local/lib/imports does exist and contains, amongst
others, wx*.hi files.

Questions:
  - Do I really need the contrib part of wxWidgets?
  - Where do I get it?
  - Why does "cabal install --global wx" fail? What can I do about it? (I
have Administrator rights)

Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
http://functor.bamikanarie.com
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/

Re: Congrats. to wxHaskell

Jeremy O'Donoghue
Hi Henk-Jan,

I fear that I may not be able to help as much as I would like, but I
did want to give a few pointers, specifically for building wxWidgets
correctly.

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:53:57 +0200, "Henk-Jan van Tuyl"
<[hidden email]> said:

[snip congrats from Dons - pleasing though they are :-)]

> I wish it were all that simple to me, but it turned out to be another
> session of eternal yak-shaving for me. My fault I suspect, I should have
> known better then to buy a Windows computer.
>
> I downloaded wxWindows 2.8.9 and tried to build it with the supplied
> makefile as
> suggested in the installation manual (I have MinGW and MSSY installed):
>        make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug
> but makefile.gcc contains serious bugs.

The hardest part of building wxHaskell, paradoxically, is building
wxWidgets,
which is far from trivial, as there are a very large number of options.

I build for Windows using MS Visual Studio, so I can't help specifically
(and
I believe that other maintainers also use VS on Windows), but the
following
may help:

- Options in config.gcc for building wxWidgets
  - UNICODE=1 is highly recommended (it's the only variant we really
  test
    nowadays)
  - USE_OPENGL=1 is supported, if you wish
  - USE_ODBC=1 is also supported

I only ever seem to have success when building wxWidgets as a library
(i.e.
not as a set of DLLs), although others seem to have success using DLLs,
so
it could just be me. Nonetheless, static libraries make a certain amount
of
sense, as you then have a single wxc DLL which makes redistribution of
binaries much simpler on Windows.

If VS2008 is available to you (and I understand that you may prefer not
install it, since the Express edition is only free in the sense of not
costing anything, and not free in most other senses), you'll probably
have
an easier ride, as the wxWidgets VS project files are always correct and
up to date.

> I then continued to build according to the build instructions on
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Building#building_wxWidgets_on_Windows
> but these instructions specifically state the contrib should be built and
> the first command to do this failed: cd contrib/src, because there is no
> such directory 'contrib'.

I just downloaded a clean copy of wxMSW-2.8.9.zip from Sourceforge. It
contains a
directory contrib/src with the expected contents, so I'm not sure why
you have a
problem here.

You need contrib for the styled text control support (basically a
wrapper around
Scintilla). It may be possible to build without stc, but it's not the
default build
invocation, and likely hasn't been tested in a while.

> Trying to install wxHaskell:
> > cabal install --global wx
> [...]
> install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.o
> install directory: /usr/local/lib/
> install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.pkg
> cat config/wxcore.pkg | sed -e "s|\${wxhlibdir}|/usr/local/lib|" |
> ghc-pkg
> update -
> Reading package info from stdin ... done.
> ghc-pkg.exe: /usr/local/lib/imports doesn't exist or isn't a directory
> (use --force to override)
> "make": *** [wxcore-register] Error 1
> wx-0.10.5 depends on wxcore-0.10.5 which failed to install.
> wxcore-0.10.5 failed during the final install step. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 2
>
> The directory /usr/local/lib/imports does exist and contains, amongst
> others, wx*.hi files.
>
> Questions:
>   - Do I really need the contrib part of wxWidgets?
>   - Where do I get it?
>   - Why does "cabal install --global wx" fail? What can I do about it? (I
> have Administrator rights)

I'm afraid this part reads more like a cabal install issue. I'm having
problems
with it on my Windows box as well (it keeps telling me that exposed
packages are
hidden...).

Regards
Jeremy
--
  Jeremy O'Donoghue

Re: Congrats. to wxHaskell

shelarcy
Hi Henk-Jan,

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:53:57 +0900, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded wxWindows 2.8.9 and tried to build it with the supplied
> makefile as
> suggested in the installation manual (I have MinGW and MSSY installed):
>
> (snip)
>
> Trying to install wxHaskell:
>> cabal install --global wx
> [...]
> install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.o
> install directory: /usr/local/lib/
> install: /usr/local/lib/wxcore.pkg
> cat config/wxcore.pkg | sed -e "s|\${wxhlibdir}|/usr/local/lib|" | ghc-pkg
> update -
> Reading package info from stdin ... done.
> ghc-pkg.exe: /usr/local/lib/imports doesn't exist or isn't a directory
> (use --force to override)
> "make": *** [wxcore-register] Error 1
> wx-0.10.5 depends on wxcore-0.10.5 which failed to install.
> wxcore-0.10.5 failed during the final install step. The exception was:
> exit: ExitFailure 2

wxHaskell requires to use cygwin when building on Windows currently.
Because Cabal doesn't support binary distribution yet. If you want to
build wxHaskell yourself on Windows, you must install cygwin.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Cygwin

And I'm finding where causes this problem now.

Best Regards,

--
shelarcy <shelarcy    hotmail.co.jp>
http://page.freett.com/shelarcy/

Re: Congrats. to wxHaskell

shelarcy
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:54:45 +0900, shelarcy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> wxHaskell requires to use cygwin when building on Windows currently.
> Because Cabal doesn't support binary distribution yet.

And there is a lot of incompatibility between cygwin and MSYS. We
don't care about that now.