Quantcast

ConstraintKinds seems to be automatically enabled

ConstraintKinds seems to be automatically enabled

Wolfgang Jeltsch-2
Hi!

In my previous e-mail, I showed some code that uses the Constraint kind.
I forgot to enable the ConstraintKinds extension though, but GHC 8.0.1
did not complain. Is this a bug?

All the best,
Wolfgang

Re: ConstraintKinds seems to be automatically enabled

Brandon Allbery
On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Wolfgang Jeltsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my previous e-mail, I showed some code that uses the Constraint kind.
I forgot to enable the ConstraintKinds extension though, but GHC 8.0.1
did not complain. Is this a bug?

I think it's a known side effect of * being conflated with Constraint, a problem that is actively being worked on ( https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/11715 ).

Re: ConstraintKinds seems to be automatically enabled

Carter Schonwald
in newer versions of ghc, client code of a module that uses constraint kinds gets constraint kinds enabled.

this is to make it pleasant to use constraint kinds in libraries.

this is deliberate feature :)