Creating the network-bsd package

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hi,

We the network package maintainers are planning to release network
v3.0.0.0 which enables extending socket addresses. In this version, we
will remove the Network.BSD module which version 2.7 already
deprecates.

Unfortunately, it appeared that many users use Network.BSD and there
is no good alternative. So, I would like to split it into another
package, say, network-bsd.

Some years ago, the same thing happened to Network.URI, resulting in
the network-uri and network-uri-flag packages. Currently, I'm planing
to take the same approach:

----
flag network-bsd
library
  -- ...
  if flag(network-bsd)
    build-depends: network-bsd >= 3.0, network >= 3.0
  else
    build-depends: network-bsd < 3.0, network < 3.0
---

Or

----
build-depends:
    network >= 2.5 && < 2.7,
    network-bsd >= 2.5 && < 2.7,
    network-bsd-flag == 0.1.*
---

Question: is this a correct appoarch? Or are there any better ways to
split Netwrok.BSD?

--Kazu