DEBUG-on

GHC - devs mailing list

Ben

We don’t really test with a DEBUG-enabled compiler.  And yet, those assertions are all there for a reason.

In our CI infrastructure, I wonder if we might do a regression-test run on at least one architecture with DEBUG on?

e.g. https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14904

Re: DEBUG-on

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
If we're going to test with a DEBUG-enabled compiler we may also want to enable
sanity checks. I've been recently using this a lot and it really catches a lot
of bugs that can go unnoticed without sanity checks. I recently filed #15241
for some of the tests that currently fail the sanity checks.

Ömer

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]>, 18 Haz 2018
Pzt, 11:35 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

> Ben
>
> We don’t really test with a DEBUG-enabled compiler.  And yet, those assertions are all there for a reason.
>
> In our CI infrastructure, I wonder if we might do a regression-test run on at least one architecture with DEBUG on?
>
> e.g. https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14904
>
> Simon

RE: DEBUG-on

GHC - devs mailing list
good idea!

Re: DEBUG-on

Ben Gamari-3
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ben

Hi Simon,

> We don't really test with a DEBUG-enabled compiler. And yet, those
> assertions are all there for a reason. In our CI infrastructure, I
> wonder if we might do a regression-test run on at least one
> architecture with DEBUG on? e.g.
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/14904

We actually now do precisely this. Since a few weeks ago we have a
nightly `validate --slow` (which enables -DDEBUG in the stage 2
compiler) job that runs on the CircleCI infrastructure.
Thanks to Alp's work it even appears to pass. However, in light of
#14904 I wonder if it we are failing to catch an exit code since it
sounds like it should have been failing.

Cheers,

- Ben