Quantcast

Darcs home page updated

Simon Michael
With 2.8 released, I felt Darcs deserves better presentation. After surveying other VCS sites I worked on an update to
our home page layout and content over the last few days, with review and input from #darcs, and it went live last night.
It's far from perfect but I hope it's a good step forward. Thanks for the input, and have at it:

http://darcs.net

-Simon

Re: Darcs home page updated

paul r-2
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:27:57 -0700, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> said:

Simon> With 2.8 released, I felt Darcs deserves better presentation. After
Simon> surveying other VCS sites I worked on an update to our home page
Simon> layout and content over the last few days, with review and input from
Simon> #darcs, and it went live last night. It's far from perfect but I hope
Simon> it's a good step forward. Thanks for the input, and have at it:

Simon> http://darcs.net

Hi, that looks good, thanks. Here are some ideas :

 - The purple color of titles is not very attractive, changing it to
   something more saturated would make it look fresher.

 - the purple color rounded box is not very attractive either :)

 - there is a video right on the first page, good ! Unfortunatly, it is
   not showing darcs but its cousin. Also, the title is "why do we
   continue to develop ... [camp]", which isn't the most positive
   approach one can expect on a start page

 - the compact tutorial is great, I love it. It deserves more poish. For
   inspiration, one can have a look at this website for example :

     http://gembundler.com/

 - underlined links looks a bit 90's. You can add a simple css rule to
   choose an other color and remove the underline (though it is good
   practice to set it on mouseover)

cheers,

--
  Paul

Re: Darcs home page updated

Michael Orlitzky
On 04/30/12 15:27, Simon Michael wrote:
> With 2.8 released, I felt Darcs deserves better presentation. After
> surveying other VCS sites I worked on an update to our home page layout
> and content over the last few days, with review and input from #darcs,
> and it went live last night. It's far from perfect but I hope it's a
> good step forward. Thanks for the input, and have at it:
>
> http://darcs.net

Maybe use some other repo for the hello world example?

  $ darcs get http://darcs.net darcs

is too many darc.

Using darcs to check out darcs and commit a file named darcs.cabal just
conflates too many things unnecessarily.

Re: Darcs home page updated

Simon Michael
Thanks for the feedback Paul (and Michael), all such is very useful.

Maybe I'll try Django-green... :)

>   - there is a video right on the first page, good ! Unfortunatly, it is
>     not showing darcs but its cousin. Also, the title is "why do we
>     continue to develop ... [camp]", which isn't the most positive
>     approach one can expect on a start page

It does discuss both camp and darcs. I meant to say the following: I was happy to be able to use Ian Lynagh's video,
which I have always felt strikes a very good tone - technical, concise, grounded and energising. I like listening to it.
Thanks Ian!

Also, there isn't a lot out there to work with. Please let me know if I'm missing something else good.

>   - the compact tutorial is great, I love it. It deserves more poish. For
>     inspiration, one can have a look at this website for example :

Good to hear, I have scheduled more polish.

>   - underlined links looks a bit 90's. You can add a simple css rule to
>     choose an other color and remove the underline (though it is good
>     practice to set it on mouseover)

Oh I thought underline had come back in. Ok done.

A few more notes trimmed from the original mail:

- I've tried to emphasise the relative simplicity Darcs offers. I think this is a true strength and our biggest value
proposition. (Aside: I think Haskell is another true strength, but a less obvious one, currently not mentioned.)

- You may notice my very swift description of patch dependencies. Though we are used to thinking of patch deps as
painful, I think the text is a fair and accurate high-level description for newcomers. The video gives a little more
insight.

- Like some other sites (I liked Mercurial's best), we have quick start examples right on the front page. This grew a
bit long, but how handy to be able to jump to darcs.net and instantly see how to get stuff done.. and its basically *all
you need to know* to use Darcs, correct me if I'm wrong.

- The colours are a bit anaemic. Needs more red and dark tones. The dark pres I tried gave less contrast..

- I use and occasionally hack on Alex Suraci's darcsden repo-hosting app. You can see my dev repo and changes at
http://joyful.com/darcsden/simon/darcs-sm , and you might even be able to register, fork, show previews and send pull
requests there - testers welcome. Perhaps one day this could be on darcs.net, or a reliable funded darcsden.com, or
something.

Best - Simon

Re: Darcs home page updated

paul r-2

Simon> It does discuss both camp and darcs. I meant to say the following:
Simon> I was happy to be able to use Ian Lynagh's video, which I have always
Simon> felt strikes a very good tone - technical, concise, grounded and
Simon> energising. I like listening to it. Thanks Ian!

Indeed, the form, duration and pace are all very good in this video.
However, if I understand correctly, your initiative mainly targets
potential newcomers. I am not sure they will understand the connection
here, and they will quickly ask how to display the patches DAG in darcs.
Also, from a communication POV, the title of the video does not match
well with the date of the video ( we are on darcs.net and the video is
"why we continue to develop Camp" and is from 2008 :] )

I don't dismiss the great work on this camp video itself. It is just
that if some darcs user has time to make a 2012 darcs video (name hit :
"darcs vs git"), based on the same idea, that would probably be more
suited for darcs website.

regards,

--
  Paul