Debugging annotation machinery

lonetiger
Hi,

I am changing the hashing algorithm used to create Fingerprints but somehow the annrun01.hs test has started failing and I don't quite understand why.

From what I can tell the failure happens during deserialization but the module itself is still found.
The calls findGlobalAnns deserializeWithData target seem to return nothing.

Calling ~/ghc/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2.exe --show-iface Annrun01_Help.hi shows that GHC itself understands the module fine though.

Does someone have an idea why deserialization might be failing? but also how does one debug this? Almost none of the structures have a Show or Outputable instance...

Thanks,
Tamar

Re: Debugging annotation machinery

Ben Gamari-2
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> I don’t have good debugging wisdom, but I’d love to know what hash
> functions you’re considering!

The relevant MR is https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/4248.

Cheers,

- Ben