Disabling Travis?

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

I wasn’t looking for a while I notice that the travis CI build of GHC
has not been succeeding for two months, partly because build time
exceeded the already much extended limits we have, partly because
support for booting with 7.10 was dropped, but the .travis file was not
used.

A CI system that is not normally succeeding is pretty pointless, and
will only confuse people who submit pull requests over GitHub who see
failures.

So if noone complains now I will soon disable building on Travis.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]

Re: Disabling Travis?

Richard Eisenberg-4
Indeed I wrote and then deleted an email to you asking to update the Travis script to work again. I deleted it because I realized that fixing this myself was easy. So, at least one person cares about Travis. :)

Why do I care? Because I find it easier to validate with Travis than with Phab, for these reasons:

- I don't have to go through the process of creating a new diff -- no arc, no diff #, no reviewers that I don't care for (as I just want validation).

- Phab does advanced Sorcerer's-apprentice-level wizardry in applying my patch. If it's not rebased to a current master, Strange Things happen. And sometimes, I'm not ready to rebase (as I just want validation).

One might ask these questions at this point:

Q: Shouldn't I *always* create a diff for a change I'm making?

A: Perhaps I should. But sometimes a fix is very straightforward and I simply don't have the cycles to go through a review process for every patch. As any committer has learned, SPJ reviews every commit that goes by anyway, and it seems more agile just to commit what seem like simple patches and then commit tweaks.

Q: Why don't I just validate locally?

A: Because I'm on a Mac laptop. There are frequently tests that fail on Mac that aren't my fault, and sometimes I'm about to need to move the laptop -- and I don't want this to interrupt validation.

The big minus to Travis, as I see it, are that only committers can use it. (A forked repo just doesn't work because of the way that submodules are checked out, IIRC.) This minus doesn't affect me, however.

Thanks,
Richard

Am Sonntag, den 20.08.2017, 23:55 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> The big minus to Travis, as I see it, are that only committers can
> use it. (A forked repo just doesn't work because of the way that
> submodules are checked out, IIRC.) This minus doesn't affect me,
> however.

I think the biggest minus is that Travis can either be configured to
send mails to one specific address (as it was initially, when I
received all the mail and could check whether I want to notify the
author), or to the author of the patch, but not both. Currently it is
sent to notify the author, but people seem to simply ignore the mails.

(Or maybe even only authors who also registered on travis get them?)

So if there is demand to keep using Travis, maybe we have to go back to
sending notification mails to one person who oversees this service?

Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]

Re: Disabling Travis?

Richard Eisenberg-4
I have not been getting emails from Travis, despite using it for other projects (and thus being registered). So perhaps something is going wrong there. Regardless, it's useful for me, even without the emails.

Another nice thing about Travis: I can get a quick check of the history of failures, even in DEBUG mode.

Richard

> On Aug 21, 2017, at 3:54 AM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 20.08.2017, 23:55 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> The big minus to Travis, as I see it, are that only committers can
>> use it. (A forked repo just doesn't work because of the way that
>> submodules are checked out, IIRC.) This minus doesn't affect me,
>> however.
>
> I think the biggest minus is that Travis can either be configured to
> send mails to one specific address (as it was initially, when I
> received all the mail and could check whether I want to notify the
> author), or to the author of the patch, but not both. Currently it is
> sent to notify the author, but people seem to simply ignore the mails.
>
> (Or maybe even only authors who also registered on travis get them?)
>
> So if there is demand to keep using Travis, maybe we have to go back to
> sending notification mails to one person who oversees this service?
>
> Joachim
>

> --
> Joachim Breitner
>  [hidden email]
>  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Disabling Travis?

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi Richard,

I saw you tried to get Travis working again. I also gave it a quick
shot (in wip/travis2), but hit time limits again. Did you have more
luck?

Greetings,
Joachim

Am Montag, den 21.08.2017, 23:17 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:

> I have not been getting emails from Travis, despite using it for
> other projects (and thus being registered). So perhaps something is
> going wrong there. Regardless, it's useful for me, even without the
> emails.
>
> Another nice thing about Travis: I can get a quick check of the
> history of failures, even in DEBUG mode.
>
> Richard
>
> > On Aug 21, 2017, at 3:54 AM, Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitne
> > r.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 20.08.2017, 23:55 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> > > The big minus to Travis, as I see it, are that only committers
> > > can
> > > use it. (A forked repo just doesn't work because of the way that
> > > submodules are checked out, IIRC.) This minus doesn't affect me,
> > > however.
> >
> > I think the biggest minus is that Travis can either be configured
> > send mails to one specific address (as it was initially, when I
> > received all the mail and could check whether I want to notify the
> > author), or to the author of the patch, but not both. Currently it
> > is
> > sent to notify the author, but people seem to simply ignore the
> > mails.
> >
> > (Or maybe even only authors who also registered on travis get
> > them?)
> >
> > So if there is demand to keep using Travis, maybe we have to go
> > back to
> > sending notification mails to one person who oversees this service?
> >
> > Joachim
> >

> > --
> > Joachim Breitner
> >  [hidden email]
> >  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]
  https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Disabling Travis?

Richard Eisenberg-4
No -- I hit the limits, too. :(

One of my challenges in getting patches in is that I have no reliable way of validating. Validating locally is possible, but it gets false negatives (Mac validation usually isn't clean) and is inconvenient. I will be working with my school's sysadmin to get a Linux server working to do this, but not everyone has that possibility.

Richard

> On Sep 3, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I saw you tried to get Travis working again. I also gave it a quick
> shot (in wip/travis2), but hit time limits again. Did you have more
> luck?
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> Am Montag, den 21.08.2017, 23:17 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> I have not been getting emails from Travis, despite using it for
>> other projects (and thus being registered). So perhaps something is
>> going wrong there. Regardless, it's useful for me, even without the
>> emails.
>>
>> Another nice thing about Travis: I can get a quick check of the
>> history of failures, even in DEBUG mode.
>>
>> Richard
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 3:54 AM, Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitne
>>> r.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I think the biggest minus is that Travis can either be configured
>>> send mails to one specific address (as it was initially, when I
>>> received all the mail and could check whether I want to notify the
>>> author), or to the author of the patch, but not both. Currently it
>>> is
>>> sent to notify the author, but people seem to simply ignore the
>>> mails.
>>>
>>> (Or maybe even only authors who also registered on travis get
>>> them?)
>>>
>>> So if there is demand to keep using Travis, maybe we have to go
>>> back to
>>> sending notification mails to one person who oversees this service?
>>>
>>> Joachim
>>>

>>> --
>>> Joachim Breitner
>>>  [hidden email]
>>>  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
> Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
>  [hidden email]
>  https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Disabling Travis?

Boespflug, Mathieu
It took me no more than a couple hours to get this working, but using
CircleCI, for our fork of GHC. I started from Joachim's TravisCI
script.

https://circleci.com/gh/tweag/ghc/tree/circleci

It would be trivial to activate this for github.com/ghc/ghc as well.

A few notes:
- It runs ./validate --fast in 40 minutes.
- CircleCI has OS X support as well. I think we should just migrate to
using CircleCI for OS X testing instead of the custom drones, one or
all of which are currently down.
- CircleCI graciously agreed to running on one of the beefy AWS node
types, called c4.xlarge (8 cores). On the standard node type (2
cores), validate takes just over an hour to run. It would be great if
./validate could scale better to more cores.

CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 21.09.2017, 14:25 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:

> It took me no more than a couple hours to get this working, but using
> CircleCI, for our fork of GHC. I started from Joachim's TravisCI
> script.
>
> https://circleci.com/gh/tweag/ghc/tree/circleci
>
> It would be trivial to activate this for github.com/ghc/ghc as well.
>
> A few notes:
> - It runs ./validate --fast in 40 minutes.
> - CircleCI has OS X support as well. I think we should just migrate
> using CircleCI for OS X testing instead of the custom drones, one or
> all of which are currently down.
> - CircleCI graciously agreed to running on one of the beefy AWS node
> types, called c4.xlarge (8 cores). On the standard node type (2
> cores), validate takes just over an hour to run. It would be great if
> ./validate could scale better to more cores.
nice! Yes, let’s do this. More CI never hurts (if someone keeps an eye
on it and fixes breakage that is not due to the code).

Can you configure circleci to mail both the committeer and a specific
person (e.g. you, or me) on every failed committ?

I enabled it now for ghc/ghc, but it says

> Configurable resource class is not enabled in your project. Please
> contact your CSM person or our support team to whitelist your
> project.

Can you do that?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Boespflug, Mathieu
Hi Joachim,

great!

> Can you configure circleci to mail both the committeer and a specific person (e.g. you, or me) on every failed committ?

That's a good question. The way things work in CircleCI is that this
is a user setting. You can go to

https://circleci.com/account/notifications

and "subscribe" to notifications on a per-organization or per-project basis.

Regarding the resource_class setting, that's a feature CircleCI
graciously enabled for tweag/ghc. I could do the same request for the
ghc/ Github org. But better if it's an admin of the org.

Best,
--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

Am Montag, den 25.09.2017, 13:36 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
> Can you configure circleci to mail both the committeer and a specific
> person (e.g. you, or me) on every failed committ?
>
> That's a good question. The way things work in CircleCI is that this
> is a user setting. You can go to
>
> https://circleci.com/account/notifications
>
> and "subscribe" to notifications on a per-organization or per-project basis.

ok, so it seems that I can ensure I get mail. Do you know if there is a
way to notify the committer, even if the committer is not a CircleCI
user?

> Regarding the resource_class setting, that's a feature CircleCI
> graciously enabled for tweag/ghc. I could do the same request for the
> ghc/ Github org. But better if it's an admin of the org.

Even without this, it often runs in 40mins, and sometimes takes an
hour. So for now, I’ll just let it run like this.

Joachim
--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]
  https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Boespflug, Mathieu
> Do you know if there is a way to notify the committer, even if the committer is not a CircleCI user?

I don't know. The default might be to notify the committer if the
build failed, even when not a CircleCI user. But I haven't tried.
--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.

On 25 September 2017 at 21:30, Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 25.09.2017, 13:36 +0200 schrieb Boespflug, Mathieu:
>> Can you configure circleci to mail both the committeer and a specific
>> person (e.g. you, or me) on every failed committ?
>>
>> That's a good question. The way things work in CircleCI is that this
>> is a user setting. You can go to
>>
>> https://circleci.com/account/notifications
>>
>> and "subscribe" to notifications on a per-organization or per-project basis.
>
> ok, so it seems that I can ensure I get mail. Do you know if there is a
> way to notify the committer, even if the committer is not a CircleCI
> user?
>

>> Regarding the resource_class setting, that's a feature CircleCI
>> graciously enabled for tweag/ghc. I could do the same request for the
>> ghc/ Github org. But better if it's an admin of the org.
>

> Even without this, it often runs in 40mins, and sometimes takes an
> hour. So for now, I’ll just let it run like this.
>
> Joachim
> --
> Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
>   [hidden email]
>   https://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Richard Eisenberg-4
I just tried to get on board this new train. But I can't seem to figure out how to "follow" ghc. I signed up through my GitHub account, but CircleCI doesn't seem to want me to follow an open-source project with which I have no formal association in GitHub. Joachim, it seemed you unlocked this capability. How? It'd be lovely to get notifications of builds on ghc's wip/rae branch, in particular.

Thanks!
Richard

Am Donnerstag, den 28.09.2017, 17:46 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> I just tried to get on board this new train. But I can't seem to
> figure out how to "follow" ghc. I signed up through my GitHub
> account, but CircleCI doesn't seem to want me to follow an open-
> source project with which I have no formal association in GitHub.
> Joachim, it seemed you unlocked this capability. How? It'd be lovely
> to get notifications of builds on ghc's wip/rae branch, in
> particular.

it seems that one cannot simply make CircleCI notify the committer that
 broke something:
https://discuss.circleci.com/t/automatic-email-notifications-to-the-author-of-a-broken-commit/519/12

The summary seems to be:
 * only CircleCI users can sign up for notifications, and they have to
   so actively (and it’s non trivial, judging from Richard’s struggle)
 * Even then, the only options are:
   “Send me a personalized email for every build in my projects.”
   which certainly too much spam and
   “Send me a personalized email every time a build on a branch I've
   pushed to fails; also once they're fixed.”
   which might be what most people want.
   It is not clear how I can get a mail when someone else broke master…

Well, eventually we will have Jenkins and All Is Well™.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner
  [hidden email]
  http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Richard Eisenberg-4

> On Oct 2, 2017, at 1:15 PM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, eventually we will have Jenkins and All Is Well™.

But in the meantime, I can push to my branch and then manually check CircleCI a little while later and get meaningful results, which is much better than we've had in some time. Email would just be icing on the cake -- I'm quite happy as is.

Thanks!

Richard

Re: CircleCI (Was: Disable Travis?)

Boespflug, Mathieu
And the solution to get email notifications is quite simple in fact:
just add Richard to the ghc GitHub org! Or just as simple: Richard
(and indeed anyone else on the Internet) can fork the ghc/ghc repo on
GitHub and just needs to click one button at
https://circleci.com/projects/gh/goldfirere (the "Projects" tab) to
add the forked ghc repo and get CircleCI email notifications on push.

For users publishing PR's via GitHub, as-is CircleCI already annotates
PR's with the outcome of the build.

Once again, it took me all of two hours to set this up. It would take
me another two hours to add macOS to the mix. CircleCI or Travis CI
(and Appveyor for Windows) is what most of our clients use, including
those with very large codebases comparable in size to GHC. I submit
that development resources on GHC are too scarce to "eventually have
Jenkins".
--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.