Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Nikita Karetnikov
I’ve built both packages locally, and they seem to work fine with GHC
7.6.3.  However, I can’t install them from Hackage due to the required
dependencies.

Could anyone drop or update the upper bounds?  Alternatively, I could
try to do so myself if someone provides the required permissions.

Re: Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Roman Cheplyaka-2
* Nikita Karetnikov <[hidden email]> [2014-01-08 01:38:33+0400]
> I’ve built both packages locally, and they seem to work fine with GHC
> 7.6.3.  However, I can’t install them from Hackage due to the required
> dependencies.
>
> Could anyone drop or update the upper bounds?  Alternatively, I could
> try to do so myself if someone provides the required permissions.

The page http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numerals lists the issue
tracker and maintainer's email. Have you tried those?

Also, as a quick workaround, Cabal's master branch has the option
'--allow-newer'.

Roman

Re: Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Nikita Karetnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
drop (...) the upper bounds

Sigh. The community really does like the versioning equivalent of unsafePerformIO, doesn't it?

Re: Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

John Lato-2
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Nikita Karetnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
drop (...) the upper bounds

Sigh. The community really does like the versioning equivalent of unsafePerformIO, doesn't it?

Yes, it's extremely popular.  I think it's a combination of no way to express soft/hard upper bounds and not enough people having been bitten by broken bound issues before the PVP.

Re: Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Nikita Karetnikov
> The page http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numerals lists the issue
> tracker and maintainer's email. Have you tried those?

I don’t use GitHub.  Anyway, the tracker shows five open issues from
2012.  And the latest commit was pushed on July 16, 2012.

When I sent the previous message, I CC’d the maintainer.  Apologies for
the noise, but my emails to Gmail users usually end up in spam. I wanted
to make sure that someone with the right permissions would see my
message.

How long should I wait before I can do the required work myself?

> Also, as a quick workaround, Cabal's master branch has the option
> '--allow-newer'.

Thanks for letting me know, but I can’t expect that the users of my
package would have that version installed.

Re: Drop or update the upper bounds of numerals and numerals-base

Roel van Dijk-3
Hello, maintainer here. It's true I haven't done much maintenance in the past year. At the very least the packages should build with the latest libraries so let's focus on that.

I've pushed two patches to numerals-base and numerals to update the upper bounds of some dependencies. This includes the test suites.

Regards,
Roel