Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

David Feuer
It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
to. What do you all think?

David

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Andrew Martin
I'm +1 on this. I do not use any of those versions of GHC.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:30 AM, David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
to. What do you all think?

David

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Tom Ellis
On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:42:21PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:
>
> >It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
> >for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
> >for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
> >GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
> >to. What do you all think?
>
> I am still mainly using GHC-7.4.2.

I'm rather curious why!

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Brandon Allbery
Because not everyone has access to the latest and greatest hardware? (Which attitude is showing just a bit of privilege.) At CMU I got to ride herd on a rather astonishing collection of ancient hardware; I wouldn't be looking to install ghc8 on much of it either, since usually upgrading the OS is no-go and I'd have to backport a lot of stuff to get it --- and, even more so, packages using it --- to build at all.

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 11:12:40AM -0500, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> Because not everyone has access to the latest and greatest hardware? (Which
> attitude is showing just a bit of privilege.)
> [...]

I think you may be reading something into my message that I didn't say.

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Moritz Kiefer
That’s fair enough but couldn’t you just keep using an older version of
`containers` on this hardware? Obviously, newer versions will contain
bugfixes and new features but the same can be said for new releases of
GHC (and probably a ton of other software on those systems) and missing
out on those is apparently not a deal-breaker either.

Cheers
Moritz

On 03/09/2018 05:12 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Because not everyone has access to the latest and greatest hardware?
> (Which attitude is showing just a bit of privilege.) At CMU I got to
> ride herd on a rather astonishing collection of ancient hardware; I
> wouldn't be looking to install ghc8 on much of it either, since usually
> upgrading the OS is no-go and I'd have to backport a lot of stuff to get
> it --- and, even more so, packages using it --- to build at all.
>
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Tom Ellis
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:42:21PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>     > On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:
>     >
>     > >It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
>     > >for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
>     > >for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
>     > >GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
>     > >to. What do you all think?
>     >
>     > I am still mainly using GHC-7.4.2.
>
>     I'm rather curious why!
>     Only members subscribed via the mailman list are allowed to post.
>

> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>          [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:

> How would you feel about switching to 7.6.3? That would definitely make
> my life easier. I have to warn you, however, that we will not support
> 7.6 or 7.8 forever. We'll probably drop 7.6 in another year or two, and
> 7.8 in another two or three.

I am happy to switch to any new GHC if there will be at least a warning
for "length (1,2)":

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Carter Schonwald
agreed

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Adam Bergmark <[hidden email]> wrote:
I appreciate that it may be hard/undesirable for some to use the latest GHC, but overall I don't think we should need to maintain backwards compatibility indefinitely because of that. Older versions of containers will still work with older GHCs, and other libraries depending on containers will still work as well as long as they support older container versions.

But nevertheless, at least it seems there are no objections to dropping 7.0 and 7.2.2 support so far? :)

Cheers,
Adam

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 17:20 Daniel Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
David, I just checked and you're correct - I believe I was remembering some other library(ies), though I can't recall which ones.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM, David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mar 9, 2018 10:55 AM, "Daniel Cartwright" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On a related note, I find it strange when looking through source code for 'containers'/other Haskell libraries and still see notes about supporting non-GHC Haskell compilers (e.g. Hugs)

I believe we've stripped all references to Hugs and nhc98 from containers. If you find any, let us know. I'd be interested in adding support for Frege, but the way it deals with numeric literals could be problematic.