Editor choices

Jeff Lasslett-2
Greetings,

So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a long time
Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me navigate the source code.
 I've got decent syntax highlighting.

What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me
the type of a thing, or at least the module it is defined in.  Is this a
sensible question for haskell?  I just don't want to have to hunt for where
lib functions are defined (tags take me around the xmonad sources with
drama).

So what editors/IDEs to people use for haskell to help with this?  Or do
you all just keep everything in your massive brains?  :-)

Cheers,
Jeff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

David McBride
Usually when I'm inspecting something, I just go :ghci % and then :i the
type I want.  If by some chance I don't have a library installed that is
needed, I just search for a function or type on hayoo and browse the
hackage docs for that library.

There are ides for haskell, but I don't know how good they are.  Yi is
written in haskell, but I don't know how good it is.  Eclipsefp is
supposedly okay.  I know I've seen some vim integration (haskellmode?) but
I don't know how well it works.  But I have never felt the absense of these
tools in this language, personally.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a long time
> Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me navigate the source code.
>  I've got decent syntax highlighting.
>
> What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me
> the type of a thing, or at least the module it is defined in.  Is this a
> sensible question for haskell?  I just don't want to have to hunt for where
> lib functions are defined (tags take me around the xmonad sources with
> drama).
>
> So what editors/IDEs to people use for haskell to help with this?  Or do
> you all just keep everything in your massive brains?  :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Jeff Lasslett-2
There's just so much I don't know that I find myself wanting to look
something up every minute or so.  If the editor supported me in this regard
I would really love it.

On 19 April 2013 11:19, David McBride <toad3k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Usually when I'm inspecting something, I just go :ghci % and then :i the
> type I want.  If by some chance I don't have a library installed that is
> needed, I just search for a function or type on hayoo and browse the
> hackage docs for that library.
>
> There are ides for haskell, but I don't know how good they are.  Yi is
> written in haskell, but I don't know how good it is.  Eclipsefp is
> supposedly okay.  I know I've seen some vim integration (haskellmode?) but
> I don't know how well it works.  But I have never felt the absense of these
> tools in this language, personally.
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a long time
>> Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me navigate the source code.
>>  I've got decent syntax highlighting.
>>
>> What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me
>> the type of a thing, or at least the module it is defined in.  Is this a
>> sensible question for haskell?  I just don't want to have to hunt for where
>> lib functions are defined (tags take me around the xmonad sources with
>> drama).
>>
>> So what editors/IDEs to people use for haskell to help with this?  Or do
>> you all just keep everything in your massive brains?  :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeff

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Isaac Dupree-3
I tend to search for unknown symbols on "Hayoo", which searches
everything on Hackage (Haskell's public package repository):
http://holumbus.fh-wedel.de/hayoo/hayoo.html

I'd love to have a good Haskell IDE but I haven't found one that I've
succeeded at installing & running yet. (I don't know whether Yi etc. are
good because I failed to install it the last couple times I tried!)
-Isaac

On 04/18/2013 11:59 PM, Jeff Lasslett wrote:

> There's just so much I don't know that I find myself wanting to look
> something up every minute or so.  If the editor supported me in this
> regard I would really love it.
>

> On 19 April 2013 11:19, David McBride <toad3k at gmail.com
> <mailto:toad3k at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Usually when I'm inspecting something, I just go :ghci % and then :i
>     the type I want.  If by some chance I don't have a library installed
>     that is needed, I just search for a function or type on hayoo and
>     browse the hackage docs for that library.
>
>     There are ides for haskell, but I don't know how good they are.  Yi
>     is written in haskell, but I don't know how good it is.  Eclipsefp
>     is supposedly okay.  I know I've seen some vim integration
>     (haskellmode?) but I don't know how well it works.  But I have never
>     felt the absense of these tools in this language, personally.
>

>     On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Jeff Lasslett
>     <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com <mailto:jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Greetings,
>
>         So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a
>         long time Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me
>         navigate the source code.  I've got decent syntax highlighting.
>
>         What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE
>         to tell me the type of a thing, or at least the module it is
>         defined in.  Is this a sensible question for haskell?  I just
>         don't want to have to hunt for where lib functions are defined
>         (tags take me around the xmonad sources with drama).
>
>         So what editors/IDEs to people use for haskell to help with
>         this?  Or do you all just keep everything in your massive
>         brains?  :-)
>
>         Cheers,
>         Jeff

Editor choices

Mats Rauhala
There is haskellmode for vim

--
Mats Rauhala
MasseR

Editor choices

Amy de Buitléir
Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett <at> gmail.com> writes:
> So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.

Have you seen the "XMonad deconstructed" videos? They're very well done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MpfyZUcrU (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdyLaH3PhY (part 2)

> I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me the type of a thing, or at least the
module it is defined in.

Leksah and EclipseFP are two options you might want to consider. You can
find links to them, and information about other options here:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IDE

I myself make do with querying the types in GHCi or Hayoo. I also installed
the command-line version of Hoogle (see
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle), which is very useful.

Editor choices

Magnus Therning
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 09:45:08AM +1000, Jeff Lasslett wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a long time
> Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me navigate the source code.
>  I've got decent syntax highlighting.
>
> What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me
> the type of a thing, or at least the module it is defined in.  Is this a
> sensible question for haskell?  I just don't want to have to hunt for where
> lib functions are defined (tags take me around the xmonad sources with
> drama).
>
> So what editors/IDEs to people use for haskell to help with this?  Or do
> you all just keep everything in your massive brains?  :-)

vim + syntastic + ghcmod-vim: http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/ghc-mod/en/

More vim-related goodness for the Haskell programmer:
http://haskelllive.com/environment.html

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay
> Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.
>
> Have you seen the "XMonad deconstructed" videos? They're very well done.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MpfyZUcrU (part 1)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdyLaH3PhY (part 2)

Yes, I have watched these and i agree with you.  They are quite well done.
 I have found them very helpful.  Sadly they don't touch much on X event
handling within XMonad, which is what I am most interested in.

> > I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me the type of a thing, or at least the
> module it is defined in.
>
> Leksah and EclipseFP are two options you might want to consider. You can
> find links to them, and information about other options here:

Leksah sound good, although perhaps a little "heavier" than I would like.
 I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, though I may take a look at eclipsefp.

> I myself make do with querying the types in GHCi or Hayoo. I also installed
> the command-line version of Hoogle (see
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hoogle), which is very useful.

Thanks for this suggestion.  The trouble starts for me when I don't know
what package something is in.  For example ...
*Main> :t guard

<interactive>:1:1: Not in scope: `guard'

I think I looked it up in the index on hackage.  It's times like that when
I long for a hotkey combo that will tell me package and type info for the
item under the cursor.

Thanks,
Jeff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Jeff Lasslett-2
Hi Magnus,

On 20 April 2013 08:13, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 09:45:08AM +1000, Jeff Lasslett wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.  I'm a long time
> > Vim user and I've made  a tags file to help me navigate the source code.
> >  I've got decent syntax highlighting.
> >
> > What I lack is insight into the libs.  I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me
>
> vim + syntastic + ghcmod-vim: http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/ghc-mod/en/
>
> More vim-related goodness for the Haskell programmer:
> http://haskelllive.com/environment.html

Thanks for this.  I'm picking my way through the env described at the
haskelllive link.  I hadn't discovered neobundle before.  It's great.

Jeff
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Rustom Mody
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Amy,
>
> On 19 April 2013 19:13, Amy de Buitl?ir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> > So I find myself playing around with XMonad source code.
>>
>> Have you seen the "XMonad deconstructed" videos? They're very well done.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MpfyZUcrU (part 1)
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdyLaH3PhY (part 2)
>>

> Yes, I have watched these and i agree with you.  They are quite well done.
>  I have found them very helpful.  Sadly they don't touch much on X event
> handling within XMonad, which is what I am most interested in.
>

>> > I'd like the editor/IDE to tell me the type of a thing, or at least the
>> module it is defined in.
>>
>> Leksah and EclipseFP are two options you might want to consider. You can
>> find links to them, and information about other options here:
>>

> Leksah sound good, although perhaps a little "heavier" than I would like.
>  I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, though I may take a look at eclipsefp.

Its now a decade since this was written
http://osteele.com/posts/2004/11/ides
Unfortunately the divide remains as true  today :-(

--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Emmanuel Surleau
If you're a vim person, I see there is a script to search hoogle within
vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2672

Last version from 2011 though. But syntastic + ghc-mod-vim goes a long way

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Amy,

>>> Have you seen the "XMonad deconstructed" videos? They're very well done.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MpfyZUcrU (part 1)
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdyLaH3PhY (part 2)
>>>

>> Yes, I have watched these and i agree with you.  They are quite well
>> done.  I have found them very helpful.  Sadly they don't touch much on X
>> event handling within XMonad, which is what I am most interested in.

>>> module it is defined in.
>>>
>>> Leksah and EclipseFP are two options you might want to consider. You can
>>> find links to them, and information about other options here:
>>>

>> Leksah sound good, although perhaps a little "heavier" than I would like.
>>  I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, though I may take a look at eclipsefp.
>>

> Its now a decade since this was written
> http://osteele.com/posts/2004/11/ides
> Unfortunately the divide remains as true  today :-(
>
> --
> http://www.the-magus.in
> http://blog.languager.org

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

carlos gomez-5
Just to mention, I have seen a plugin for programming in Haskell in
Intellij Idea; I didn't experiment much with the plugin but Intellij Idea
is a good IDE.

On 22 April 2013 03:37, Emmanuel Surleau <emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're a vim person, I see there is a script to search hoogle within
> vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2672
>
> Last version from 2011 though. But syntastic + ghc-mod-vim goes a long way
>

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Jeff Lasslett <jeff.lasslett at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Amy,

>>> Yes, I have watched these and i agree with you.  They are quite well
>>> done.  I have found them very helpful.  Sadly they don't touch much on X
>>> event handling within XMonad, which is what I am most interested in.

>>> Leksah sound good, although perhaps a little "heavier" than I would
>>> like.  I'm not a huge fan of eclipse, though I may take a look at eclipsefp.
>>>

>> Its now a decade since this was written
>> http://osteele.com/posts/2004/11/ides
>> Unfortunately the divide remains as true  today :-(
>>
>> --
>> http://www.the-magus.in
>> http://blog.languager.org

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Chaddaï Fouché
I'm surprised nobody mentioned emacs, I know the emacs/vim divides run deep
but a lot of haskeller make do with emacs, haskell-mode contains what you
ask for (shortcut to ask the type of something to ghci) and much more.

--
Jeda?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM, carlos gomez <carliros.g at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to mention, I have seen a plugin for programming in Haskell in
> Intellij Idea; I didn't experiment much with the plugin but Intellij Idea
> is a good IDE.
>

> On 22 April 2013 03:37, Emmanuel Surleau <emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If you're a vim person, I see there is a script to search hoogle within
>> vim: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2672
>>
>> Last version from 2011 though. But syntastic + ghc-mod-vim goes a long
>> way

>>> Its now a decade since this was written
>>> http://osteele.com/posts/2004/11/ides
>>> Unfortunately the divide remains as true  today :-(
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.the-magus.in
>>> http://blog.languager.org

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Kim-Ee Yeoh
Administrator
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Chadda? Fouch?
<chaddai.fouche at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know the emacs/vim divides run deep but a lot of haskeller make do with
> emacs

It has to be exactly one of

1. vim folks get their work done faster, and so have time to be helpful

2. emacs folks are actually _employed_ and consequently have less free time
on their hands

j/k :)

-- Kim-Ee
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Hollister Herhold

I like haskell-mode quite a bit. But the divide does run deep indeed.

You can always run emacs in vi-mode.   :)

On Apr 22, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Chadda? Fouch? wrote:

> I'm surprised nobody mentioned emacs, I know the emacs/vim divides run deep but a lot of haskeller make do with emacs, haskell-mode contains what you ask for (shortcut to ask the type of something to ghci) and much more.
>
> --
> Jeda?

Editor choices

Jeff Lasslett-2
On 22 April 2013 22:51, carlos gomez <carliros.g at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to mention, I have seen a plugin for programming in Haskell in
> Intellij Idea; I didn't experiment much with the plugin but Intellij Idea
> is a good IDE.

Intellij IDEA is a great IDE.  Its Vim bindings plugin is not entirely
stable though, or wasn't when I last used IDEA.   AS far as large java IDEs
go IntelliJ is awesome.  If their haskell mode is as good as their other
language toolings then it is probably pretty good.
I probably won't go there though.  :-)

On 23 April 2013 02:11, Chadda? Fouch? <chaddai.fouche at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised nobody mentioned emacs, I know the emacs/vim divides run
> deep but a lot of haskeller make do with emacs, haskell-mode contains what
> you ask for (shortcut to ask the type of something to ghci) and much more.

I don't dislike emacs.  I'm largely ignorant of it.  I just ignore it
really.  The first unix editor I learned to use was vi, and I've never felt
the need to look elsewhere.

As I learn more languages I find that I want help with their associated
libraries, more than anything.  Learning a language syntax is not so hard,
but it's generally not enough to create useful software.  Using the
language to create useful software really means knowing all about the
libraries and frameworks built for use with the language.

As a haskell beginner, that's where I find I want the editor/IDE to help me
out.  If emacs helps me then I might just give it a try.  :-)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Editor choices

Magnus Therning
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Chadda? Fouch?
<chaddai.fouche at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm surprised nobody mentioned emacs, I know the emacs/vim divides run deep
> but a lot of haskeller make do with emacs, haskell-mode contains what you
> ask for (shortcut to ask the type of something to ghci) and much more.

Probably it's not mentioned because the OP mentioned he's a long-term
Vim user.  Anyway, Emacs is a wonderful OS, it just lacks a good
editor ;)

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Editor choices

Miguel Negrao
Tue, 2013-04-23 ?s 17:22 +1000, Jeff Lasslett escreveu:

> On 22 April 2013 22:51, carlos gomez <carliros.g at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Just to mention, I have seen a plugin for programming in
>         Haskell in Intellij Idea; I didn't experiment much with the
>         plugin but Intellij Idea is a good IDE.
>

> Intellij IDEA is a great IDE.  Its Vim bindings plugin is not entirely
> stable though, or wasn't when I last used IDEA.   AS far as large java
> IDEs go IntelliJ is awesome.  If their haskell mode is as good as
> their other language toolings then it is probably pretty good.
> I probably won't go there though.  :-)

Yes, IDEA is amazing, but has anyone managed to get the Haskell plugin
working ? I never did... Is it still maintained. I mostly use eclipseFP
which is quite nice, although not as polished as for instance intellij
IDEA for scala or java.

best,
Miguel Negr?o

Editor choices

David Virebayre
2013/4/23 Miguel Negr?o <miguel.negrao-lists at friendlyvirus.org>

> Yes, IDEA is amazing, but has anyone managed to get the Haskell plugin
> working ? I never did... Is it still maintained. I mostly use eclipseFP
> which is quite nice, although not as polished as for instance intellij
> IDEA for scala or java.

There are people that managed to get the plugin working on the latest
version, ( https://code.google.com/p/ideah/issues/detail?id=22 ) but I
didn't.
IIRC, what stopped me is a wrong version of ghc or libraries, and I
didn't try too much.

David.

12