Quantcast

Experience with investors' views on using Haskell

Experience with investors' views on using Haskell

Paul Koerbitz
Dear all,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask or my question sounds a bit silly. I am starting a new venture with a business partner and would personally like to use Haskell for the server side of things.

One concern my partner has raised is that potential investors, especially 'strategic' investors in Germany which may not be as tech savvy, might be critical of Haskell when considering an investment or acquisition as it is still a bit of an exotic choice.

I realize that Haskell is thankfully getting much more popular in industry. I am wondering if anyone here has some experience with investors that can console these concerns? Thank you very much for sharing.

Kind regards
Paul

Re: Experience with investors' views on using Haskell

Tom Ellis-3
On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 01:13:57PM -0700, Paul Körbitz wrote:
> One concern my partner has raised is that potential investors, especially
> 'strategic' investors in Germany which may not be as tech savvy, might be
> critical of Haskell when considering an investment or acquisition as it is
> still a bit of an exotic choice.

It might be worth reading what Paul Graham has to say on the matter.  He
famously founded and sold a startup based on a rarely-used language, Lisp,
and claims it gave his company an enormous competitive advantage.  He's now
an investor.  I would start here:

    http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

Tom

Re: Experience with investors' views on using Haskell

Carter Schonwald
If they aren't tech Savy, focus getting advice in matters they are savvy about.

Don't worry about it till it matters. Focus on building a great product / discovering what your great product should be / who are your customers.  Nothing else matters before those. You need to always be able to articulate how your business decisions relate to those and a few other things I'm probably overlooking.

If a great candidate investor has issues with your tech choices, at that offer to connect them other businesses that have gone hask who can speak to those concerns they raise.  But at the end of the day, it comes down to demonstrating you can deliver.  And don't worry about anything else till it matters.

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, Paul Körbitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask or my question sounds a bit silly. I am starting a new venture with a business partner and would personally like to use Haskell for the server side of things.

One concern my partner has raised is that potential investors, especially 'strategic' investors in Germany which may not be as tech savvy, might be critical of Haskell when considering an investment or acquisition as it is still a bit of an exotic choice.

I realize that Haskell is thankfully getting much more popular in industry. I am wondering if anyone here has some experience with investors that can console these concerns? Thank you very much for sharing.

Kind regards
Paul

Re: Experience with investors' views on using Haskell

rfischer
I'm late to this party, but I am working at Axial (nee Axial Exchange), and we are adopting Haskell. Our investors don't care about the language, as long as we deliver. The business as a whole is a fan of the move, mostly because the smaller size of Haskell applications allows us to have less expensive and more granular cloud-based processing resources.

~~ RCF.

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 4:13:57 PM UTC-4, Paul Körbitz wrote:
Dear all,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask or my question sounds a bit silly. I am starting a new venture with a business partner and would personally like to use Haskell for the server side of things.

One concern my partner has raised is that potential investors, especially 'strategic' investors in Germany which may not be as tech savvy, might be critical of Haskell when considering an investment or acquisition as it is still a bit of an exotic choice.

I realize that Haskell is thankfully getting much more <a href="https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.haskell.org%2FHaskell_in_industry\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHbAe_d5Kz-KpEjmLyKzm1J35kdLA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.haskell.org%2FHaskell_in_industry\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHbAe_d5Kz-KpEjmLyKzm1J35kdLA&#39;;return true;">popular in industry. I am wondering if anyone here has some experience with investors that can console these concerns? Thank you very much for sharing.

Kind regards
Paul