Failing Test Cases in HEAD

Shayan Najd Javadipour-2
In a freshly cloned GHC code base (c6462ab0...), in my system,`make test TEST="T13780c T13822"` fails.
That is while `./validate` passes.

I am rather new to GHC code base, and not so familiar with its build and testing system.
So I was wondering whether this is an intended behaviour (e.g., some test cases are intentionally left out of `./validate`).

Specifically, I follow the following steps:
(1) `git clone --recursive git://<a href="http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git`">git.haskell.org/ghc.git`
(2) `cd ghc`
(3) `cp mk/build.mk.sample mk/build.mk`
(4) set `BuildFlavour = devel2` and then
(5) ./boot
(6) ./configure
(7) make -j4
(8) make test TEST="T13780c T13822"

I build in a variant of the docker image for GHC development on Linux (64 bit), if it matters.

As it seems, Alan also gets the similar result on his system.

I am investigating this, since my development of Growable ASTs is stalled due to some "GHC panic bug" when validating.
(In my repo[1], I can successfully build with steps (2)-(7) above but `./validate` (and `make test TEST="T13780c T13822"`) fails)

Thanks,
  Shayan

Re: Failing Test Cases in HEAD

Bartosz Nitka
`devel2` compiles GHC with extra assertions and `./validate` doesn't
do that. There's `./validate --slow` that enables extra assertions.
AFAIK harbormaster (and most ghc-devs) only does `./validate` which
explains how failures like this can sneak in.

We used to have a travis build that did `./validate --slow`, but it
looks like travis currently fails at configure with:

  configure: error: GHC version 8.0 or later is required to compile GHC.

Some more details here: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/TestingPatches

Cheers,
Bartosz