Failure in GHC compilation

Monique
Hi,

  has anyone any idea about what may cause the following error in GHC
compilation?

c:\ghc\ghc-6.6.1\bin\ar.exe: creating libHSbase.a
xargs: c:/ghc/ghc-6.6.1/bin/ar: Argument list too long
make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 126
make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
Failed making all in base: 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/GHC6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1/libraries'
make: *** [stage1] Error 2

Thanks in advance,
Monique Monteiro, MSc
MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
Project Manager
Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
+55 81 34198137
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm
http://thespoke.net/blogs/moniquelouise/default.aspx
[hidden email]
MSN: [hidden email]

Re: Failure in GHC compilation

Neil Mitchell
Hi Monique,

Unless you REALLY need to, I'd recommend using the precompiled
binaries on Windows:

http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html

Thanks

Neil

On 6/2/07, Monique Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   has anyone any idea about what may cause the following error in GHC
> compilation?
>
> c:\ghc\ghc-6.6.1\bin\ar.exe: creating libHSbase.a
> xargs: c:/ghc/ghc-6.6.1/bin/ar: Argument list too long
> make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 126
> make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
> Failed making all in base: 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/GHC6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1/libraries'
> make: *** [stage1] Error 2
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Monique Monteiro, MSc
> MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
> Project Manager
> Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
> +55 81 34198137
> http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm
> http://thespoke.net/blogs/moniquelouise/default.aspx
> [hidden email]
> MSN: [hidden email]

Re: Failure in GHC compilation

Monique
Hi Neil,

  I'm extending GHC, so I really need to compile it.

Monique

On 6/2/07, Neil Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Monique,
>
> Unless you REALLY need to, I'd recommend using the precompiled
> binaries on Windows:
>
> http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
>
> On 6/2/07, Monique Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   has anyone any idea about what may cause the following error in GHC
> > compilation?
> >
> > c:\ghc\ghc-6.6.1\bin\ar.exe: creating libHSbase.a
> > xargs: c:/ghc/ghc-6.6.1/bin/ar: Argument list too long
> > make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 126
> > make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
> > Failed making all in base: 1
> > make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/GHC6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1/libraries'
> > make: *** [stage1] Error 2
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > --
> > Monique Monteiro, MSc
> > MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
> > Project Manager
> > Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
> > +55 81 34198137
> > http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm
> > http://thespoke.net/blogs/moniquelouise/default.aspx
> > [hidden email]
> > MSN: [hidden email]

Monique Monteiro, MSc
MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
Project Manager
Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
+55 81 34198137
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm
http://thespoke.net/blogs/moniquelouise/default.aspx
[hidden email]
MSN: [hidden email]

Re: Failure in GHC compilation

Esa Ilari Vuokko

On 6/2/07, Monique Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   has anyone any idea about what may cause the following error in GHC
> compilation?

It's exactly what it says...too long argument list (it's limited in Windows.)
This is usually caused by having split-objs on, which causes *a lot* of object
files being generated, all of them passed to ar or ld.

> c:\ghc\ghc-6.6.1\bin\ar.exe: creating libHSbase.a
> xargs: c:/ghc/ghc-6.6.1/bin/ar: Argument list too long
> make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 126
> make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
> Failed making all in base: 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/GHC6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1/libraries'
> make: *** [stage1] Error 2

Untested: setting SplitObjs=NO in build.mk might help (as there will be less
object files to pass to ar.

If ghc head is already using cabal, this problem is solved there.

It might also be possible to extend ghc build machinery to pass parameters
in file for ar and ld - but that requires new enough mingw toolchain.

HTH,
Esa

On 6/2/07, Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Untested: setting SplitObjs=NO in build.mk might help (as there will be less
> object files to pass to ar.

Ok, it worked for me.  Thanks for the tip!

Monique

RE: Failure in GHC compilation

Simon Peyton Jones
I've extended the "what to look for if your build fails" section in
        http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Windows

Please do keep adding to this page!  Every time you trip over something, think about whether your experience could be used to help someone else.

Simon

Georg Sauthoff-3
Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[..]
> It's exactly what it says...too long argument list (it's limited in Windows.)
[..]

I am just curious - is there a OS, where the argument list is not
limited (like in limits.h under Unix/Posix)?

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff

Re: Re: Failure in GHC compilation

Stefan O'Rear
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 03:51:47PM +0000, Georg Sauthoff wrote:

> Esa Ilari Vuokko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> [..]
> > It's exactly what it says...too long argument list (it's limited in Windows.)
> [..]
>
> I am just curious - is there a OS, where the argument list is not
> limited (like in limits.h under Unix/Posix)?

No, that would require an infinite amount of address space.  Even if you
have exabytes of swap, argv[] has to be all concurrently addressable.

Stefan

Re: Re: Failure in GHC compilation

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH

On Jun 5, 2007, at 18:26 , Stefan O'Rear wrote:

>> I am just curious - is there a OS, where the argument list is not
>> limited (like in limits.h under Unix/Posix)?
>
> No, that would require an infinite amount of address space.  Even
> if you
> have exabytes of swap, argv[] has to be all concurrently addressable.

Less pedantically, Linux 2.6 kernels do not arbitrarily restrict
argument lists.  (I suspect this comes at a cost, however.)