Faster complex number multiplication

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Faster complex number multiplication

Dannyu NDos

_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Faster complex number multiplication

Henning Thielemann

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Dannyu NDos wrote:

> It is possible to have 3 multiplications rather than 4:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm#Complex_multiplication_algorithm

But it is less precise, right?
_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Faster complex number multiplication

Dannyu NDos
"There is a trade-off in that there may be some loss of precision when using floating point." Says Wikipedia. :(

2019년 8월 29일 (목) 07:31, Henning Thielemann <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Dannyu NDos wrote:

> It is possible to have 3 multiplications rather than 4:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm#Complex_multiplication_algorithm

But it is less precise, right?

_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Faster complex number multiplication

Zemyla
Also, on modern chips, Float and Double multiplication is practically the same speed as addition.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 17:35 Dannyu NDos <[hidden email]> wrote:
"There is a trade-off in that there may be some loss of precision when using floating point." Says Wikipedia. :(

2019년 8월 29일 (목) 07:31, Henning Thielemann <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019, Dannyu NDos wrote:

> It is possible to have 3 multiplications rather than 4:
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm#Complex_multiplication_algorithm

But it is less precise, right?
_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries

_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Faster complex number multiplication

Henning Thielemann

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, Zemyla wrote:

> Also, on modern chips, Float and Double multiplication is practically
> the same speed as addition.

But modern chips can also fuse multiplication and addition.

However this combines more dependencies in one operation and thus it may
slow down, again.
_______________________________________________
Libraries mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries