First request for references

Alan Cameron
Hi,

I stumbled across Haskell while researching 'functional programming'.
I have done some initial reading and have the following questions:

1. Are there any references to real-world applications using this language?

I ask because most of the articles I have found seem to be of an extreme
academic nature. I want to be sure that my time will not be wasted delving
deeper.

2. Are there any tutorials with full code included which I can use on the
HUGS system I have installed?

I have found a few "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" which assumes far
too much previous knowledge to be immediately useful to me.

Thanks for any replies.

Alan Cameron

First request for references

Thomas Davie

On 10 Jan 2009, at 21:36, Alan Cameron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I stumbled across Haskell while researching 'functional programming'.
> I have done some initial reading and have the following questions:
>
> 1. Are there any references to real-world applications using this
> language?
>
> I ask because most of the articles I have found seem to be of an
> extreme
> academic nature. I want to be sure that my time will not be wasted
> delving
> deeper.

Here's a few real world apps written in Haskell:
darcs
Frag
XMonad
pugs (perl 6 interpretter)
ghc
and many more

If you want to learn about writing real world programs, try the new
book ? Real World Haskell.

> 2. Are there any tutorials with full code included which I can use
> on the
> HUGS system I have installed?
>
> I have found a few "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" which
> assumes far
> too much previous knowledge to be immediately useful to me.

The learning haskell page on the wiki has a *lot* of references to
lots of different tutorials and books.

Bob

First request for references

Brent Yorgey-2
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:36:14PM -0000, Alan Cameron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I stumbled across Haskell while researching 'functional programming'.
> I have done some initial reading and have the following questions:
>
> 1. Are there any references to real-world applications using this language?
>
> I ask because most of the articles I have found seem to be of an extreme
> academic nature. I want to be sure that my time will not be wasted delving
> deeper.
>
> 2. Are there any tutorials with full code included which I can use on the
> HUGS system I have installed?
>
> I have found a few "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" which assumes far
> too much previous knowledge to be immediately useful to me.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> Alan Cameron

Hi Alan, welcome!

You should check out 'Real World Haskell', recently published by
O'Reilly. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for. You can
read it for free online:

  http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/

and buy a dead tree copy if you like it.

Feel free to direct more questions towards this list, or come ask
questions on IRC, in the #haskell channel on irc.freenode.net.

-Brent