First workspace not tiling with dzen2

Robert Sawko
Hi,

I've copied my xmonad configuration on a new laptop and it all worked
fine, almost fine. I have made some small changes to the configuration,
particularly dzen2 status and xmonad bar which I keep separately at the
top.

The one annoying issue is that dzen2 stopped tiling, but only on the
first workspace. Opening a new window will overlay dzen2 unless I
restart xmonad, creating effectively new dzen2 bar, but even then any
change to the layout will also cause dzen to get covered by other
applications.

This peculiarity occurs only on the first workspace!

I posted my xmonad conifig on github, so please look here
https://github.com/robertsawko/xmonad_config

This config seems to generate some other unwanted messages, such
deprecated warnings for ICCCCMFocus or defaultGSConfig which I am going
to investigate.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Regards,
Robert

Re: First workspace not tiling with dzen2

Brandon Allbery
On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:04 AM, Robert Sawko <[hidden email]> wrote:
The one annoying issue is that dzen2 stopped tiling, but only on the
first workspace. Opening a new window will overlay dzen2 unless I
restart xmonad, creating effectively new dzen2 bar, but even then any
change to the layout will also cause dzen to get covered by other
applications.

This sounds like the strut cache bug introduced in xmonad 0.12.
https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad-contrib/pull/30 is pending review (still, sigh).

Re: First workspace not tiling with dzen2

Robert Sawko

> This sounds like the strut cache bug introduced in xmonad 0.12.
> https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad-contrib/pull/30 is pending review
> (still, sigh).

Thanks Brandon,

Yes, that seems to be the problem. For now I went with the manual gap
solution through

stdLayout = gaps[(U, 25)] $  tiled ||| Mirror tiled ||| Full

And I wait until a fix comes from xmonad-contrib then.

Robert
--
No free lunch, no shortcuts, no easy way, but at least you can be creative!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_free_lunch_in_search_and_optimization