Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Juliusz Gonera

Hi all,

After i switch workspace in xmonad with e.g. Alt+3 my google-chrome window in workspace 3 has no focus.

I'd like xmonad to automatically give focus to the top window in the workspace i'm switching to.

I'm using xmonad 0.11 with chrome 45, ubuntu 15.04


Is anyone familiar with this problem?


--

Best,

jg


_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Brandon Allbery
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
After i switch workspace in xmonad with e.g. Alt+3 my google-chrome window in workspace 3 has no focus.

Focus problems from recent Chrome seem to be related to not having EWMHDesktops enabled or configured properly. It's no longer optional; if you are using Chrome/Chromium you MUST use EWMHDesktops or it won't work right.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Juliusz Gonera
Is there a working config snippet that just makes this problem go away? 

On 18 June 2015 at 14:58, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
After i switch workspace in xmonad with e.g. Alt+3 my google-chrome window in workspace 3 has no focus.

Focus problems from recent Chrome seem to be related to not having EWMHDesktops enabled or configured properly. It's no longer optional; if you are using Chrome/Chromium you MUST use EWMHDesktops or it won't work right.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net


_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Brandon Allbery
Assuming you're not overriding logHook (or are doing it properly which sadly many do not), you can just import XMonad.Hooks.EWMHDesktops and apply the ewmh combinator to your config record.

If you're using the bad configuration that too many people point to as a "default" (the big one that overrides literally everything with defaults from a particular version) then there may not be any easy way to do it. That config was never a good idea, for all its popularity; it's a leftover from pre-0.5's hardcoded config.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a working config snippet that just makes this problem go away? 

On 18 June 2015 at 14:58, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
After i switch workspace in xmonad with e.g. Alt+3 my google-chrome window in workspace 3 has no focus.

Focus problems from recent Chrome seem to be related to not having EWMHDesktops enabled or configured properly. It's no longer optional; if you are using Chrome/Chromium you MUST use EWMHDesktops or it won't work right.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net




--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Juliusz Gonera
Works great! Many thanks for your help Brandon! 

On 18 June 2015 at 15:14, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Assuming you're not overriding logHook (or are doing it properly which sadly many do not), you can just import XMonad.Hooks.EWMHDesktops and apply the ewmh combinator to your config record.

If you're using the bad configuration that too many people point to as a "default" (the big one that overrides literally everything with defaults from a particular version) then there may not be any easy way to do it. That config was never a good idea, for all its popularity; it's a leftover from pre-0.5's hardcoded config.


On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a working config snippet that just makes this problem go away? 

On 18 June 2015 at 14:58, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Juliusz Gonera <[hidden email]> wrote:
After i switch workspace in xmonad with e.g. Alt+3 my google-chrome window in workspace 3 has no focus.

Focus problems from recent Chrome seem to be related to not having EWMHDesktops enabled or configured properly. It's no longer optional; if you are using Chrome/Chromium you MUST use EWMHDesktops or it won't work right.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net




--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net


_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Josiah Schwab
In reply to this post by Brandon Allbery
Hello Brandon,

> Assuming you're not overriding logHook (or are doing it properly which
> sadly many do not), you can just import XMonad.Hooks.EWMHDesktops and apply
> the ewmh combinator to your config record.
>
> If you're using the bad configuration that too many people point to as a
> "default" (the big one that overrides literally everything with defaults
> from a particular version) then there may not be any easy way to do it.
> That config was never a good idea, for all its popularity; it's a leftover
> from pre-0.5's hardcoded config.

Would you be able to point me (& others) towards some resources to
better understand how to write a "good" configuration?

I based my config from the example (man/xmonad.hs) that ships with
xmonad-0.11 on Arch Linux.  Is an example of a bad config?  With my
limited understanding, it seems like it matches your description.

Best,
Josiah
_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Brandon Allbery

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Josiah Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
I based my config from the example (man/xmonad.hs) that ships with
xmonad-0.11 on Arch Linux.  Is an example of a bad config?  With my
limited understanding, it seems like it matches your description.

It hasd a limpid comment at the top that contains its real danger; I keep trying to get a much stronger warning added, but despite repeated requests that one is still there and still does not have a proper warning.

It is an example of how to override every setting. It does so by overriding every setting, with the defaults for one particular version of xmonad; this means you do not inherit any defaults, and if the defaults change in a later version then you will not see those changes (this bit a lot of people when dmenu changed its usage and we updated the mod-p binding, but people using that "example" didn't get the change because the old way was hardcoded in their configs. That was what convinced me that that example was Evil). If we were to change the implementation in certain ways, or if you use an example from a later version with an earlier version (someone popped up on IRC with that problem the other day), it wouldn't even compile.

The correct place to start is shown on the xmonad wiki:


(which is actually valid for 0.10 and later).

If you want to truly start "from scratch", https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Config_archive/John_Goerzen%27s_Configuration is a little dated but still valid.

(I'm still working my way through trying to get the wiki up to date. Nobody else seems interested in doing so, sigh.)

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
[hidden email]                                  [hidden email]
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

_______________________________________________
xmonad mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xmonad