Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Zev Weiss
Hi,

I'm running xmonad-0.11 and getting outright crashes fairly
frequently, often multiple times per week with my usage patterns.  I
can't pin it directly to any particularly specific action (like
opening/closing a certain window), but it tends to happen upon
returning to my machine after being away for a while with the screen
locked (with gnome-screensaver, for what it's worth) -- commonly, I
return to my workstation after being away from it overnight (or a
weekend), and upon entering my password and returning to my desktop,
xmonad catches SIGBUS and promptly dies.  It has occasionally occurred
under other circumstances, just during normal use (e.g., switching
windows & workspaces), though the screen-unlocking situation is by far
the most crash-prone.

I installed it with cabal & ghc from haskell-platform 2012.2.0.0:

[me at host: tmp]% cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.14.0
using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
[me at host: tmp]% ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2

Libraries:
utf8-string 0.3.7
X11 1.6.0.2
X11-xft 0.3.1
xmonad-contrib-0.11

Other potentially-relevant info:
RHEL 6.3, x86_64
X.org 1.10.6, dual-head

I have a core file saved via gdb from when it catches the SIGBUS -- I
don't think it has anything terribly revealing in it, but I'm slightly
hesitant to post it publicly, so if it would be useful for debugging,
let me know and I can send it directly (23MB bzipped, 5.8MB xz'd).

Please let me know if there's any other information I could provide
that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Zev Weiss

Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Don Stewart
I would look at your X11 video driver.
On Feb 20, 2013 8:11 PM, "Zev Weiss" <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running xmonad-0.11 and getting outright crashes fairly
> frequently, often multiple times per week with my usage patterns.  I
> can't pin it directly to any particularly specific action (like
> opening/closing a certain window), but it tends to happen upon
> returning to my machine after being away for a while with the screen
> locked (with gnome-screensaver, for what it's worth) -- commonly, I
> return to my workstation after being away from it overnight (or a
> weekend), and upon entering my password and returning to my desktop,
> xmonad catches SIGBUS and promptly dies.  It has occasionally occurred
> under other circumstances, just during normal use (e.g., switching
> windows & workspaces), though the screen-unlocking situation is by far
> the most crash-prone.
>
> I installed it with cabal & ghc from haskell-platform 2012.2.0.0:
>
> [me at host: tmp]% cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.14.0
> using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
> [me at host: tmp]% ghc --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2
>
> Libraries:
> utf8-string 0.3.7
> X11 1.6.0.2
> X11-xft 0.3.1
> xmonad-contrib-0.11
>
> Other potentially-relevant info:
> RHEL 6.3, x86_64
> X.org 1.10.6, dual-head
>
> I have a core file saved via gdb from when it catches the SIGBUS -- I
> don't think it has anything terribly revealing in it, but I'm slightly
> hesitant to post it publicly, so if it would be useful for debugging,
> let me know and I can send it directly (23MB bzipped, 5.8MB xz'd).
>
> Please let me know if there's any other information I could provide
> that would be helpful.
>

> Thanks,
> Zev Weiss

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Zev Weiss
Ah, forgot about that...nvidia, version 310.19 -- likely the culprit?
(I don't think I have the know-how to examine much further than that
on my own.)  Unfortunately it's on a system I don't personally
administrate, which complicates the matter of testing it with a
different driver somewhat.

Zev

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Don Stewart <dons00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would look at your X11 video driver.
>
> On Feb 20, 2013 8:11 PM, "Zev Weiss" <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running xmonad-0.11 and getting outright crashes fairly
>> frequently, often multiple times per week with my usage patterns.  I
>> can't pin it directly to any particularly specific action (like
>> opening/closing a certain window), but it tends to happen upon
>> returning to my machine after being away for a while with the screen
>> locked (with gnome-screensaver, for what it's worth) -- commonly, I
>> return to my workstation after being away from it overnight (or a
>> weekend), and upon entering my password and returning to my desktop,
>> xmonad catches SIGBUS and promptly dies.  It has occasionally occurred
>> under other circumstances, just during normal use (e.g., switching
>> windows & workspaces), though the screen-unlocking situation is by far
>> the most crash-prone.
>>
>> I installed it with cabal & ghc from haskell-platform 2012.2.0.0:
>>
>> [me at host: tmp]% cabal --version
>> cabal-install version 0.14.0
>> using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
>> [me at host: tmp]% ghc --version
>> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2
>>
>> Libraries:
>> utf8-string 0.3.7
>> X11 1.6.0.2
>> X11-xft 0.3.1
>> xmonad-contrib-0.11
>>
>> Other potentially-relevant info:
>> RHEL 6.3, x86_64
>> X.org 1.10.6, dual-head
>>
>> I have a core file saved via gdb from when it catches the SIGBUS -- I
>> don't think it has anything terribly revealing in it, but I'm slightly
>> hesitant to post it publicly, so if it would be useful for debugging,
>> let me know and I can send it directly (23MB bzipped, 5.8MB xz'd).
>>
>> Please let me know if there's any other information I could provide
>> that would be helpful.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Zev Weiss

Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Zev Weiss
For the record, in case anyone else happens to encounter this -- it
was pointed out to me by a helpful individual off-list that this is
actually a known problem when running binaries mmaped out of AFS,
where my xmonad binary happens to reside.  I've changed my xsession
script to run it out of a local filesystem instead and am no longer
seeing this behavior.

Zev

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Zev Weiss <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:

> Ah, forgot about that...nvidia, version 310.19 -- likely the culprit?
> (I don't think I have the know-how to examine much further than that
> on my own.)  Unfortunately it's on a system I don't personally
> administrate, which complicates the matter of testing it with a
> different driver somewhat.
>
> Zev
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Don Stewart <dons00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would look at your X11 video driver.
>>
>> On Feb 20, 2013 8:11 PM, "Zev Weiss" <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running xmonad-0.11 and getting outright crashes fairly
>>> frequently, often multiple times per week with my usage patterns.  I
>>> can't pin it directly to any particularly specific action (like
>>> opening/closing a certain window), but it tends to happen upon
>>> returning to my machine after being away for a while with the screen
>>> locked (with gnome-screensaver, for what it's worth) -- commonly, I
>>> return to my workstation after being away from it overnight (or a
>>> weekend), and upon entering my password and returning to my desktop,
>>> xmonad catches SIGBUS and promptly dies.  It has occasionally occurred
>>> under other circumstances, just during normal use (e.g., switching
>>> windows & workspaces), though the screen-unlocking situation is by far
>>> the most crash-prone.
>>>
>>> I installed it with cabal & ghc from haskell-platform 2012.2.0.0:
>>>
>>> [me at host: tmp]% cabal --version
>>> cabal-install version 0.14.0
>>> using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
>>> [me at host: tmp]% ghc --version
>>> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.2
>>>
>>> Libraries:
>>> utf8-string 0.3.7
>>> X11 1.6.0.2
>>> X11-xft 0.3.1
>>> xmonad-contrib-0.11
>>>
>>> Other potentially-relevant info:
>>> RHEL 6.3, x86_64
>>> X.org 1.10.6, dual-head
>>>
>>> I have a core file saved via gdb from when it catches the SIGBUS -- I
>>> don't think it has anything terribly revealing in it, but I'm slightly
>>> hesitant to post it publicly, so if it would be useful for debugging,
>>> let me know and I can send it directly (23MB bzipped, 5.8MB xz'd).
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there's any other information I could provide
>>> that would be helpful.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Zev Weiss

Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Brandon Allbery
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Zev Weiss <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:

> For the record, in case anyone else happens to encounter this -- it
> was pointed out to me by a helpful individual off-list that this is
> actually a known problem when running binaries mmaped out of AFS,
> where my xmonad binary happens to reside.  I've changed my xsession
> script to run it out of a local filesystem instead and am no longer
> seeing this behavior.

Can you give me any more information about this?  Simply running
executables out of AFS does not have any known issues; if it did, Carnegie
Mellon University (my previous employer) would have run headlong into it
long since, and it would have been fixed by now.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Frequent xmonad crashes (SIGBUS)

Tristan Ravitch
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:21:40PM -0500, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Zev Weiss <zev at bewilderbeest.net> wrote:
>
> > For the record, in case anyone else happens to encounter this -- it
> > was pointed out to me by a helpful individual off-list that this is
> > actually a known problem when running binaries mmaped out of AFS,
> > where my xmonad binary happens to reside.  I've changed my xsession
> > script to run it out of a local filesystem instead and am no longer
> > seeing this behavior.
> >

> Can you give me any more information about this?  Simply running
> executables out of AFS does not have any known issues; if it did, Carnegie
> Mellon University (my previous employer) would have run headlong into it
> long since, and it would have been fixed by now.

This is a problem I have been annoyed by for a few years now and I've had
limited success in tracking it down.  The problem doesn't affect all
binaries - seemingly just haskell binaries.  It also gets worse with
larger haskell binaries.

The problem seems to be related to the state of the AFS cache somehow.
Just after a reboot with a cold cache, I have to run ghc (some of my GHC
installs are on AFS) 5+ times in a row to get it to do anything besides
die with a SIGBUS.  The same goes for pandoc.  After the binary starts up
properly the first time, it seems to be in cache and doesn't act up until
it gets kicked out of cache.

Here is an old cafe thread where I tried to track this down - not many
other people reported the problem, but those who did seemed resigned to
it:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/haskell-cafe/tristan$20afs/haskell-cafe/6qv-Mw8t9kA/XL5x_yE2fX8J

That post highlights a separate but seemingly related problem.  There GHC
fails when it hits some TH code and has to load a few libraries off of
disk during compilation.  I don't know exactly what the ghci linker does
there, but it is prepping that code for execution and explodes if the
libraries it is loading are not in cache.  In those cases, I have to keep
running 'cabal install' and ghc keeps making forward progress, loading a
few more successfully each time.  Eventually they are all in cache and it
works.

My guess is that the problem is some bad interaction between whatever the
GHC RTS does for file IO and AFS, but it is hard to figure out where to
start looking.  I have never gotten a useful backtrace in any of these
crashes.  Most applications don't have any problems, so I imagine it has
to be GHC somehow.  That said, I've seen some similar crashes in
non-Haskell code if a program is using shared libraries that live on AFS.
if some application eats all of your memory and caches start getting
evicted, sometimes those applications with AFS-based shared libraries
explode in a similar way.

Any insight would definitely be appreciated, since this annoys me a few
times a day.