Functional Programming Books

Dan Piponi-2
I was just putting together my Amazon wish list and was wondering if
there are any great books on Haskell and/or functional programming
that people think are must-reads. Okasaki's "Purely Functional
Programming", Pierce's "Types and Programming Languages" are frequent
recommendations. Smullyan's "To Mock a Mockingbird" seems like it
might be a good example from the lighter end. Are there any other
classics I should know about?

Re: Functional Programming Books

Don Stewart-2
dpiponi:
> I was just putting together my Amazon wish list and was wondering if
> there are any great books on Haskell and/or functional programming
> that people think are must-reads. Okasaki's "Purely Functional
> Programming", Pierce's "Types and Programming Languages" are frequent
> recommendations. Smullyan's "To Mock a Mockingbird" seems like it
> might be a good example from the lighter end. Are there any other
> classics I should know about?

http://www.labri.fr/perso/casteran/CoqArt/index.html

Is on my wishlist :)

You might find some other things here,

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books_and_tutorials#Textbooks

-- Don

Re: Functional Programming Books

Albert Y. C. Lai
Richard Bird's "Introduction to Functional Programming using Haskell,
second edition" exceeds other introductory books by introducing laws
(e.g., fold laws, fusion laws), efficiency issues (including the stack
overflow question, deforestation), and monad transformers.

IMO these are under-represented and greatly FUDed topics.

Re: Functional Programming Books

Justin Bailey
On 10/16/07, Dan Piponi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was just putting together my Amazon wish list and was wondering if
there are any great books on Haskell and/or functional programming
that people think are must-reads. Okasaki's "Purely Functional

Hudak's "The Haskell School of Expression" is an excellent way to get started. Though it may abe outside what you are looking for, "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" is an amazing and still relevant tour of all the styles of programming.

Justin

Re: Functional Programming Books

Gour-2
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:23:31 -0700