Functional programming podcast

Christopher Done
Show of hands, who would be interested in working on a podcast weekly
or biweekly and what would you like to provide? Light banter is an
acceptable answer. Some points that might be covered on such a podcast
might be:

* Latest FP conferences/hackathons/etc
* Competitions
* Interesting papers (new, or old and dug up)
* Interesting blog posts or stackoverflow questions
* New and interesting libraries/tech released
* Developments in the communities, funding, business developments
* Interviews with prominent FP chappies

This bleeds over a little with Haskell Weekly News, but it's more like
FP weekly "interesting stuff", and therefore there would be a lot more
news to pack in. It would be something to listen to while you're
walking to work with your ipod.

On 21 February 2012 15:55, Mats Rauhala <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 15:15 Tue 21 Feb     , Christopher Done wrote:
>> I recently thought it would be Pretty Cool to make an FP podcast, sort
>> of a spoken Haskell Weekly News but covering all FP, blogs, packages,
>> conferences, papers, standards, mailing lists, even stackoverflow,
>> whatever's interesting in FP. We could use Gtalk or Mumble (both quite
>> high quality audio) to conduct it and cut it up in audacity.
>
> I for one would be an interested listener

Re: Functional programming podcast

Christopher Done
With permission I forward that Justin has offered to help cutting it
up and would also be on it.

> On 22 February 2012 04:39, serialhex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So I'm not a very good haskell (or fp) programmer, though I wouldn't mind
> > doing the audio splicing (which I've done amore than a bit of) or even being
> > on the podcast myself - though like I said, right now I'm better at theory
> > than practice, and I'm still learning theory!  So as a good host or regular
> > speaker I'm not sure id do so well, but I am willing to do what I can to get
> > this off the ground!
> > Justin

Re: Functional programming podcast

Thiago Negri
I will enjoy listening to a podcast like that.
The community can provide interesting content (links, posts, papers, ...).
Sort of a central feed to submit your suggestion to be discussed in
subsequent podcasts.

Thiago.

2012/2/22 Christopher Done <[hidden email]>:

> With permission I forward that Justin has offered to help cutting it
> up and would also be on it.
>
>> On 22 February 2012 04:39, serialhex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > So I'm not a very good haskell (or fp) programmer, though I wouldn't mind
>> > doing the audio splicing (which I've done amore than a bit of) or even being
>> > on the podcast myself - though like I said, right now I'm better at theory
>> > than practice, and I'm still learning theory!  So as a good host or regular
>> > speaker I'm not sure id do so well, but I am willing to do what I can to get
>> > this off the ground!
>> > Justin

Re: Functional programming podcast

amindfv
I'd listen.
With good editing and good discussion, this could be a nice addition
to my (bi)week.

Tom (amindfv)

On 2/22/12, Christopher Done <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Show of hands, who would be interested in working on a podcast weekly
> or biweekly and what would you like to provide? Light banter is an
> acceptable answer. Some points that might be covered on such a podcast
> might be:
>
> * Latest FP conferences/hackathons/etc
> * Competitions
> * Interesting papers (new, or old and dug up)
> * Interesting blog posts or stackoverflow questions
> * New and interesting libraries/tech released
> * Developments in the communities, funding, business developments
> * Interviews with prominent FP chappies
>
> This bleeds over a little with Haskell Weekly News, but it's more like
> FP weekly "interesting stuff", and therefore there would be a lot more
> news to pack in. It would be something to listen to while you're
> walking to work with your ipod.
>
> On 21 February 2012 15:55, Mats Rauhala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 15:15 Tue 21 Feb     , Christopher Done wrote:
>>> I recently thought it would be Pretty Cool to make an FP podcast, sort
>>> of a spoken Haskell Weekly News but covering all FP, blogs, packages,
>>> conferences, papers, standards, mailing lists, even stackoverflow,
>>> whatever's interesting in FP. We could use Gtalk or Mumble (both quite
>>> high quality audio) to conduct it and cut it up in audacity.
>>
>> I for one would be an interested listener

Re: Functional programming podcast

clintm
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Christopher Done
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Show of hands, who would be interested in working on a podcast weekly
> or biweekly and what would you like to provide? Light banter is an
> acceptable answer. Some points that might be covered on such a podcast
> might be:
>
> * Latest FP conferences/hackathons/etc
> * Competitions
> * Interesting papers (new, or old and dug up)
> * Interesting blog posts or stackoverflow questions
> * New and interesting libraries/tech released
> * Developments in the communities, funding, business developments
> * Interviews with prominent FP chappies
>
> This bleeds over a little with Haskell Weekly News, but it's more like
> FP weekly "interesting stuff", and therefore there would be a lot more
> news to pack in. It would be something to listen to while you're
> walking to work with your ipod.

I would definitely be interested in helping out.  I'm only an
intermediate level with Haskell, and about 5th grade with Common Lisp,
but I wouldn't mind trying out for a speaking spot on it.  Assuming my
voice doesn't come off as too distracting :)

Re: Functional programming podcast

Ryan Newton
+1

I'm always at a loss for good technical podcasts.  The popular ones that come up (with a simple search) are such fluff!

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Show of hands, who would be interested in working on a podcast weekly
> or biweekly and what would you like to provide? Light banter is an
> acceptable answer. Some points that might be covered on such a podcast
> might be:
>
> * Latest FP conferences/hackathons/etc
> * Competitions
> * Interesting papers (new, or old and dug up)
> * Interesting blog posts or stackoverflow questions
> * New and interesting libraries/tech released
> * Developments in the communities, funding, business developments
> * Interviews with prominent FP chappies
>
> This bleeds over a little with Haskell Weekly News, but it's more like
> FP weekly "interesting stuff", and therefore there would be a lot more
> news to pack in. It would be something to listen to while you're
> walking to work with your ipod.

I would definitely be interested in helping out.  I'm only an
intermediate level with Haskell, and about 5th grade with Common Lisp,
but I wouldn't mind trying out for a speaking spot on it.  Assuming my
voice doesn't come off as too distracting :)

Re: Functional programming podcast

clintm
We're closing in on a month since this post.  Did everyone decide to
do their own thing, do nothing, or ?

On 15 March 2012 06:53, Clint Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're closing in on a month since this post.  Did everyone decide to
> do their own thing, do nothing, or ?

Ah, I'd been traveling after posting this and then settling back in
work, this remains on my TODO list in my organizer. I have no plans
laid out, it's something I've wanted for some time and this post is
the “Hey guys what if?”

We should continue—my time zone is UTC+1, I am usually free within
19-23:00 with varying degrees of freeness. Friday and the rest of the
weekend is better. We could try out G+ hangout and or I can setup a
Mumble on hpaste.org. These are good for group chats, and if the
quality isn't too great we can each record locally also and
synchronize the audio later.

Anyway, must dash.

Re: Functional programming podcast

serialhex
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Christopher Done <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 March 2012 06:53, Clint Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're closing in on a month since this post.  Did everyone decide to
> do their own thing, do nothing, or ?

Ah, I'd been traveling after posting this and then settling back in
work, this remains on my TODO list in my organizer. I have no plans
laid out, it's something I've wanted for some time and this post is
the “Hey guys what if?”

We should continue—my time zone is UTC+1, I am usually free within
19-23:00 with varying degrees of freeness. Friday and the rest of the
weekend is better. We could try out G+ hangout and or I can setup a
Mumble on hpaste.org. These are good for group chats, and if the
quality isn't too great we can each record locally also and
synchronize the audio later.

Anyway, must dash.

hmm... UTC-5 here ( -4 right now with DST... or whatever excuse it is to deprive me of an hour of sleep!)  fridays & the weekend are good for me too.  i work til 18:00 on fri & 16:00 on sat...  also, google hangouts would (should) work for me.  i know skype is *really* flaky, but the google video chat has been pretty ok.

lets hope my newbishness dosn't turn anybody off :P
me

--
*  The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
*  As a programmer, it is your job to put yourself out of business. What you do today can be automated tomorrow. ~Doug McIlroy