Future plans

Ian Lynagh-2

Friends,

For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
over by other people within Well-Typed.

I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!

A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
GHC 7.8 release plans here:
    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
there are any other errors.

Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.

Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
where the future takes us.

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant

Future plans

Alexander Kjeldaas
Ian, thank you for all you have doen for ghc! I am very grateful for this
project and your contributions.

Wish you all the best with your new adventure.

Alexander

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Friends,
>
> For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
> and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
> over by other people within Well-Typed.
>
> I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
> you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!
>
> A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
> GHC 7.8 release plans here:
>     http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
> Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
> there are any other errors.
>
> Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
> using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
> merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
> consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
> an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.
>

> Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
> many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
> been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
> where the future takes us.
>

> Thanks
> Ian
> --
> Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Future plans

Tim Watson
+1 - very best of luck with your next endevour, and thanks so much for all your hard work over the years!

Cheers,
Tim

On 18 Jul 2013, at 16:56, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:

> Ian, thank you for all you have doen for ghc! I am very grateful for this project and your contributions.
>
> Wish you all the best with your new adventure.
>
> Alexander
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
>
> Friends,
>
> For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
> and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
> over by other people within Well-Typed.
>
> I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
> you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!
>
> A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
> GHC 7.8 release plans here:
>     http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
> Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
> there are any other errors.
>
> Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
> using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
> merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
> consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
> an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.
>

> Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
> many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
> been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
> where the future takes us.
>

> Thanks
> Ian
> --
> Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Future plans

Simon Marlow-7
Ian,

You've done wonders for GHC during your time with us, and you'll be a
tough act to follow.  Best of luck with your future endeavours!

On 18/07/13 15:44, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> Friends,
>
> For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
> and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
> over by other people within Well-Typed.
>
> I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
> you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!
>
> A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
> GHC 7.8 release plans here:
>      http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
> Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
> there are any other errors.
>
> Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
> using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
> merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
> consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
> an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.
>

> Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
> many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
> been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
> where the future takes us.
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Future plans

Simon Peyton Jones
Ian

You have been a real star.  Thank you so much for all you have contributed to GHC.

Simon

Edward Z. Yang
Thank you for all the work you have done, and good luck on
your future endeavours. :)

Edward

Excerpts from Ian Lynagh's message of Thu Jul 18 07:44:07 -0700 2013:

> Friends,
>
> For a number of reasons, I have decided to move on to new challenges,
> and so from the end of the month the GHC maintenance work will be taken
> over by other people within Well-Typed.
>
> I hope not to disappear completely, but in any case if there is anything
> you think only I might know, please tell me and I'll try to document it!
>
> A couple of topical items: First, I've written a brief summary of the
> GHC 7.8 release plans here:
>     http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
> Please feel free to edit it if there's anything I've left out, or if
> there are any other errors.
>
> Second, there's been a bit of discussion recently about moving over to
> using git submodules for more repos, or using git subrepos instead, or
> merging some of our repos together. We didn't feel that there was a
> consensus on what to do, so we plan to do nothing for now, but this is
> an area that might want to be revisited after the 7.8 release.
>

> Finally, I would like to everyone at Well-Typed, the Simons, and too
> many other community members to list, for a fantastic seven years. It's
> been a pleasure working with you all, and I look forward to finding out
> where the future takes us.
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Future plans

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Ian,

Thanks for all your work on GHC. I hope to still see you around.

Manuel