Fwd: [Fwd: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?]

Fwd: [Fwd: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?]

Damien Mattei-2

From: Damien Mattei <[hidden email]>
To: Haskell Cafe <[hidden email]>
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:39:25 +0100
Subject: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?
Hi,

does anyone know a linux distrib where haskell platform installs out of
the box?

it fails on fedora core 28 (32bits) :

[root@localhost Downloads]# ghci
/usr/local/haskell/ghc-8.4.3-i386/lib/ghc-8.4.3/bin/ghc: error while
file: No such file or directory

but works on older system such as CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
64bits:

[mattei@moita ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
[mattei@moita ~]$ ghci
GHCi, version 8.4.3: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Prelude>

does it works on Ubuntu?

Damien

Re: Fwd: [Fwd: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?]

Artem Pelenitsyn
Hello Damien!

Here are a couple of points:

Re: Fwd: [Fwd: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?]

Viktor Dukhovni

https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/1012#issuecomment-232206593

--
        Viktor.

Re: Fwd: [Fwd: linux version compatible with GHC 4.3 ?]

Joachim Durchholz
Am 19.03.19 um 01:12 schrieb Viktor Dukhovni:

>> On Mar 18, 2019, at 6:58 PM, Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see you were able to install GHC on CentOS 7.2, but not on Fedora Core 28. It happens. I can't really tell what might have gone wrong with your installation on Fedora without additional details, such as: what did you actually do for the installation. But it definitely should be possible to install GHC on Fedora.
>
> https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/1012#issuecomment-232206593

I switched to installing language tools somewhere in my home directory
long ago, because
- more frequent breakage than for other types of packages
- I want a newer version anyway
- common permission issues when installing plugins/libraries

My guess about the reasons:
- package tools don't have a concept of user-installable extension
   so many language tools are broken by design (I'm looking at you,
   Elipse-on-Debian)
- the packaged version tends to be older than what you wanted; the
   faster the language evolves, the more this is a problem
- language tools tend to be complicated and fragile, so they have a
   higher chance of breaking anyway
- if there's an issue, the easiest fix for most users is to just install
   the language tools in the home directory, instead of fixing the
   package (which often is too slow to solve the immediate problem -
   this might be different for rolling-release distros, I never tried
   one of these)

Regards,
Jo