GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Manuel M T Chakravarty
A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
available from

   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

To use it, you need two other pieces of software installed:

   Xcode 3.0    -- as available from the Leopard upgrade/install DVD
or developer.apple.com
   readline 5.2 -- preferably installed via macports in /opt/local

Moreover, if you have the GMP.framework installed (a leftover from
10.4), remove it first.

To install, follow the instructions at

   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/installing-bin-distrib.html#id3132713

Happy Haskell Hacking!
Manuel

-=-

GHC on Mac OS X 10.5 mini FAQ:

* When trying to compile GHC, I get a segv on Float.lhs (of the base
package is compiled).  Why?

     AFAIK this only happens if the GHC you try to bootstrap with is
too old (eg, 6.6).

* With the binary distribution why do I get a link error complaining
about "_environ"?

     You still have the GMP framework installed.  It was linked
against an old libc, which causes
     the error.  Remove the GMP framework.

* What GMP library is used?

     GHC 6.8.1 includes an embedded GMP library (ie, it's bundled with
the source).  It is
     compiled as a static library and placed into the GHC install tree.

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Christian Maeder-2
Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
> available from
>

> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

The name of a binary distribution for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) would be the
same.

I've tried to install your package, but already configure failed with:

checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
Which we'll further canonicalise into: i386-apple-darwin
checking for path to top of build tree... configure: error: cannot
determine current directory

because "utils/pwd/pwd" results in a "Bus error"

Cheers Christian

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Joel Reymont

On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Christian Maeder wrote:

> I've tried to install your package, but already configure failed with:

I successfully installed this package a few times on the same machine.

--
http://wagerlabs.com

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Christian Maeder wrote:
>
>> I've tried to install your package, but already configure failed with:
>

> I successfully installed this package a few times on the same machine.

My failure was on a Tiger and your success with Leopard.

C.

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Brian P. O'Hanlon
On Nov 6, 2007 1:29 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
> available from
>
>    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
Instructions", both using the native gcc 4.0 and my own 4.2 compiler.
The error is like this:

Creating main/Config.hs ...
done.
Creating stage1/ghc_boot_platform.h...
Done.
/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -E  -undef -traditional -P -I../includes    -x c
prelude/primops.txt.pp | \
        grep -v '^#pragma GCC' > prelude/primops.txt
../utils/genprimopcode/genprimopcode --data-decl          <
prelude/primops.txt > primop-data-decl.hs-incl
/bin/sh: line 1: 25386 Illegal instruction
../utils/genprimopcode/genprimopcode --data-decl < prelude/primops.txt
> primop-data-decl.hs-incl

It is rather odd... am I missing something?  Thanks a lot!
-Brian

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

haskell-2
Brian P. O'Hanlon wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007 1:29 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
>> available from
>>
>>    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>
> You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
> bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
> Instructions", both using the native gcc 4.0 and my own 4.2 compiler.
> The error is like this:

I am also failing to compile ghc-6.8.1 for a powerpc (G4 powerbook).  I am
giving a try to leave out the extra src tarball to see if that avoids it dying
again while trying to compile parsec.  Of course, it takes many hours to try to
compile.

--
Chris

On Nov 6, 2007 4:42 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Brian P. O'Hanlon wrote:
> I am also failing to compile ghc-6.8.1 for a powerpc (G4 powerbook).  I am
> giving a try to leave out the extra src tarball to see if that avoids it dying
> again while trying to compile parsec.  Of course, it takes many hours to try to
> compile.

I was also on a G4 PB... I was wondering if there were 64-bit
instructions being emitted somewhere or something of that nature,
though I am not terribly familiar with the internals of GHC's code
generator.
-Brian

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Wolfram Kahl

 > You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
 > bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
 > Instructions",

Try to force

./configure --build=powerpc-mac-darwin

or whatever is appropriate under MacOS ---
without it, ./configure will identify the target as
powerpc64-... --- just give it a try without the 64.
(This is what I need with 32bit userland under linux.)

Otherwise try adding

     GhcUnregisterised=YES
     SplitObjs=NO

to mk/build.mk.

Wolfram

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Christian Maeder:

> Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> is
>> available from
>>

>> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>
> The name of a binary distribution for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) would be
> the
> same.
>
> I've tried to install your package, but already configure failed with:
>
> checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
> checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
> checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
> Which we'll further canonicalise into: i386-apple-darwin
> checking for path to top of build tree... configure: error: cannot
> determine current directory
>
> because "utils/pwd/pwd" results in a "Bus error"

I wasn't expecting any backwards compatibility from Leopard-built
software to Tiger, but then I am also a Mac-noob and maybe there are
ways to achieve that that I don't know of.  Any suggestions?

As for the name of the file.  The GNU-style arch-vendor-os triples do
generally not distinguish between OS versions (same deal on Linux).
Hence, I added the version information as meta information in my email.

What we really need is a proper .mpkg, but at the moment, I don't have
time for that.  The above binary first of all was meant to help
bootstrapping GHC for people who upgraded to Leopard and have problems
(which it seemed on irc, there were a few of).

Manuel

PS: Some people asked about a pcc binary.  I am sorry, but I only have
got an x86 mac.

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Manuel M T Chakravarty
[hidden email]:

> Brian P. O'Hanlon wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 2007 1:29 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5
>>> (Leopard) is
>>> available from
>>>
>>>   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>>
>> You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
>> bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
>> Instructions", both using the native gcc 4.0 and my own 4.2 compiler.
>> The error is like this:
>
> I am also failing to compile ghc-6.8.1 for a powerpc (G4
> powerbook).  I am
> giving a try to leave out the extra src tarball to see if that
> avoids it dying
> again while trying to compile parsec.  Of course, it takes many
> hours to try to
> compile.

I have no experience with PPC.  In any case, trying to compile a
minimal system (ie, no extra libs) seems a good idea.

Manuel

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

haskell-2
I ultimately failed to get 6.8.1 working on OS X 10.5 (with XCode 3.0).

The compile finished, the only odd thing was the often multiply repeated message
"unknown scattered relocation type 4" during compilation.  I have the configure
and build log, but I doubt it holds anything useful.

So now I have a compiler/stage1/ghc-6.8.1 and compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace whcih
work, and a compiler/stage2/ghc-6.8.1 and compiler/stage2/ghc-inplace that
Segmentation Fault when I try to run either.

"make install" works, but installs a Segmentation Faulting compiler.

I give up until someone else can report a recipe for success or posts a binary
for powerpc G4 or has a really convincing hypothesis.

The good news is that the ghc-6.6.1 leftover from OS 10.4.x still works.

--
Chris

[hidden email] wrote:

> Brian P. O'Hanlon wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 2007 1:29 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
>>> available from
>>>
>>>    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>> You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
>> bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
>> Instructions", both using the native gcc 4.0 and my own 4.2 compiler.
>> The error is like this:
>
> I am also failing to compile ghc-6.8.1 for a powerpc (G4 powerbook).  I am
> giving a try to leave out the extra src tarball to see if that avoids it dying
> again while trying to compile parsec.  Of course, it takes many hours to try to
> compile.

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Don Stewart-2
It seems 10.5/PPC/6.8 is currently a lethal combination. (not x86
though, nor 10.4/ppc).

Here's the ticket, add yourself to the CC list.

haskell:

> I ultimately failed to get 6.8.1 working on OS X 10.5 (with XCode
> 3.0).
>
> The compile finished, the only odd thing was the often multiply
> repeated message "unknown scattered relocation type 4" during
> compilation.  I have the configure and build log, but I doubt it holds
> anything useful.
>
> So now I have a compiler/stage1/ghc-6.8.1 and compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace whcih
> work, and a compiler/stage2/ghc-6.8.1 and compiler/stage2/ghc-inplace that
> Segmentation Fault when I try to run either.
>
> "make install" works, but installs a Segmentation Faulting compiler.
>
> I give up until someone else can report a recipe for success or posts
> a binary for powerpc G4 or has a really convincing hypothesis.
>
> The good news is that the ghc-6.6.1 leftover from OS 10.4.x still works.
>
> --
> Chris
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Brian P. O'Hanlon wrote:

> >> You do not perchance have one for powerpc, do you?  I attempted to
> >> bootstrap from GHC 6.6.1, but I keep getting errors about "Illegal
> >> Instructions", both using the native gcc 4.0 and my own 4.2 compiler.
> >> The error is like this:
> >
> > I am also failing to compile ghc-6.8.1 for a powerpc (G4 powerbook).  I am
> > giving a try to leave out the extra src tarball to see if that avoids it dying
> > again while trying to compile parsec.  Of course, it takes many hours to try to
> > compile.

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Simon Marlow-5
Don Stewart wrote:
> It seems 10.5/PPC/6.8 is currently a lethal combination. (not x86
> though, nor 10.4/ppc).
>
> Here's the ticket, add yourself to the CC list.
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1843

We need a Mac hero (or heroes) who can diagnose and fix this problem.  Any
takers?  You stand to earn the gratitude of the Mac/GHC community!

On Nov 8, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Simon Marlow wrote:

> We need a Mac hero (or heroes) who can diagnose and fix this
> problem.  Any takers?  You stand to earn the gratitude of the Mac/
> GHC community!

My PPC Mac is thousands of miles away but if anyone can give me SSH
access to their PPC/Leopard box, I could take a look.

--
http://wagerlabs.com

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Benedikt Huber
Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> is available from
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

Thanks, it's great you provided a binary distribution, especially
since macports' ghc seems to be broken on Leopard at the moment.

I had one little problem when linking with a dynamic library  though
(darwin9 / i386):
<<<
ghc --make -O -hidir build/ifaces -odir build/objs Foreign/
YicesTest.hs -o bin/YicesTest -optl "-fexceptions"  -lstdc++ -lyices
Linking bin/YicesTest ...
ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
___gmpn_divexact_1 from <ghc-6.8.1-dir>/lib/ghc-6.8.1/
libgmp.a(dive_1.o) not allowed in slidable image

I don't know if this is a known problem and what causes it, and I'm
not sure what it means;
However, replacing the 'libgmp.a' you've distributed with a recently
compiled one from macports  (gmp 4.2.2_0) resolved the problem for me.

Benedikt

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Ian Lynagh
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 05:29:05PM +1100, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is
> available

Thanks Manuel! I've put it on the download page.

Ian

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Benedikt,

> Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> is available from
>> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>
> Thanks, it's great you provided a binary distribution, especially
> since macports' ghc seems to be broken on Leopard at the moment.
>
> I had one little problem when linking with a dynamic library  though
> (darwin9 / i386):
> <<<
> ghc --make -O -hidir build/ifaces -odir build/objs Foreign/
> YicesTest.hs -o bin/YicesTest -optl "-fexceptions"  -lstdc++ -lyices
> Linking bin/YicesTest ...
> ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
> ___gmpn_divexact_1 from <ghc-6.8.1-dir>/lib/ghc-6.8.1/
> libgmp.a(dive_1.o) not allowed in slidable image
> >>>
> I don't know if this is a known problem and what causes it, and I'm
> not sure what it means;
> However, replacing the 'libgmp.a' you've distributed with a recently
> compiled one from macports  (gmp 4.2.2_0) resolved the problem for me.

I am sorry, but I am a bit out of my depth here.  Specifically, I
don't know much about the mac linker.  Maybe somebody with some more
experience in that area can shed light on this problem.

Manuel

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Christian Maeder-2
Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> I wasn't expecting any backwards compatibility from Leopard-built
> software to Tiger, but then I am also a Mac-noob and maybe there are
> ways to achieve that that I don't know of.  Any suggestions?

Could you, or someone else with Leopard, check if my Tiger binary
distribution is useable? (or what the problems are?)

> What we really need is a proper .mpkg, but at the moment, I don't have
> time for that.

I've found that page
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

It would help if we could at least agree on using frameworks or dylibs
for readline and gmp. That'll be important for any installer.

Maybe ghc could also support private frameworks
(in conjunction with http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1798).

> The above binary first of all was meant to help
> bootstrapping GHC for people who upgraded to Leopard and have problems
> (which it seemed on irc, there were a few of).

Fair enough, but the current state under
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_681.html#macosxintel
is worse compared to version 6.6.1 when
was created.

Yes, again. Any suggestions?
Christian

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Deborah Goldsmith-2
On Nov 6, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> I wasn't expecting any backwards compatibility from Leopard-built
> software to Tiger, but then I am also a Mac-noob and maybe there are
> ways to achieve that that I don't know of.  Any suggestions?

Sorry, I missed this the first time around...

To build binaries on Leopard that are compatible with previous
releases of Mac OS X, you need to use the appropriate SDK parameters
when invoking gcc (for includes) and the linker (for libraries). This
is described in the context of building a universal binary in:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/compiling/chapter_4_section_3.html#/
/apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002850-BAJCFEBA

but the same concepts (-isysroot for gcc and -Wl,-syslibroot for ld)
apply to building against any SDK.

An SDK is basically a copy of the frameworks and libraries for a
particular OS release, but the libraries are just stubs to link
against. By pointing gcc and ld at an SDK, you use the correct headers
and entry points for a particular release.

Caveat: I don't know how use of SDKs interacts with use of non-system
libraries (e.g., in /opt/local or /Library/Frameworks).

Another approach is to set MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED to
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4 (or whatever). You then have to be careful about
how you use APIs that are new in Leopard. I would think the SDK
approach would be easier for something like ghc.

If you don't do anything, by default binaries built on a particular
Mac OS X release will only run on that release or later.

Deborah

Re: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Christian Maeder-2
Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> What we really need is a proper .mpkg

How about a simple disk image (.dmg) that can be moved
around as long as the relative paths within the image remain the same?

This would require to allow relative paths in package.conf files (which
would be useful, anyway). The wrapper scripts for ghc, ghci and ghc-pkg
could be easily rewritten.

I'm not sure if ranlib needs to be called, whenever the archives are moved.

Are there other problems?

Cheers Christian