GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Ian Lynagh

We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.2.2:

    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.2.2-rc1/

This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.

7.2.2 will be a minimal bugfix release, fixing only bugs that cannot be
worked around. Please let us know if you find any showstoppers.

Thanks
Ian, on behalf of the GHC team

RE: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Chris Dornan
It's looking good but base is still untrusted out of the box. Is this right?

Chris

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Kyra

#5531 is still there and no workarounds are known. Also, it's specific
for post 7.0.Xs.  Not sure if this counts as showstopper, though.

Cheers, Kyra

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Simon Marlow-7
I think we should apply the minimal change to make all packages trusted
by default in 7.2.2.  Any objections?

On 06/11/2011 16:36, Chris Dornan wrote:

> It's looking good but base is still untrusted out of the box. Is this right?
>
> Chris

RE: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Chris Dornan
Y'all have probably seen this, but I have opened #5607 saying a bit more.

Chris

I think we should apply the minimal change to make all packages trusted by
default in 7.2.2.  Any objections?

On 06/11/2011 16:36, Chris Dornan wrote:
> It's looking good but base is still untrusted out of the box. Is this
right?

> Chris

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

David Terei
On 7 November 2011 08:44, Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should apply the minimal change to make all packages trusted by
> default in 7.2.2.  Any objections?

Agreed.

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Ian Lynagh
On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 01:25:11AM +0400, Kyra wrote:
> On 11/6/2011 5:18 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> >7.2.2 will be a minimal bugfix release, fixing only bugs that cannot be
> >worked around. Please let us know if you find any showstoppers.
> >
> #5531 is still there and no workarounds are known. Also, it's
> specific for post 7.0.Xs.  Not sure if this counts as showstopper,
> though.

We don't have a fix for that yet, so it's very unlikely it'll be fixed
in 7.2.2 (which will be released very soon). But we still have ambitions
to release 7.4.1 later this year!

Thanks
Ian

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Jens Petersen
> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.2.2:
>    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.2.2-rc1/

Thanks, I did a test build for Fedora 17 Development.

If you wish to test it on Fedora you can get
the srpm or binary packages from:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/scratch/petersen/task_3496432/
(note that F17 is now on a newer major version of gmp
than F16 and earlier, so the binary packages won't install
directly on current releases.)

I am planning to update Fedora 17 Rawhide from 7.0.4 to 7.2.2
when it is released.

Jens

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Nathan Howell-2
Any chance #5421 (<<loop>> in withMVar (reproducible, but with large test case) could be backported to 7.2.2?

-n

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
7.2.2 will be a minimal bugfix release, fixing only bugs that cannot be
worked around. Please let us know if you find any showstoppers.

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Simon Marlow-7
Sorry, no.  That one has a workaround: define your own fixIO:

fixIO :: (a -> IO a) -> IO a
fixIO k = do
     m <- newEmptyMVar
     ans <- unsafeInterleaveIO (takeMVar m)
     result <- k ans
     putMVar m result
     return result

On 11/11/2011 06:16, Nathan Howell wrote:

> Any chance #5421 (<<loop>> in withMVar (reproducible, but with large
> test case) could be backported to 7.2.2?
>
> -n
>
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     7.2.2 will be a minimal bugfix release, fixing only bugs that cannot be
>     worked around. Please let us know if you find any showstoppers.

Re: GHC 7.2.2 RC 1

Leon Smith-2
Chans are basically linked lists with the next pointer wrapped in an
MVar.   The source is actually very readable.   So yes,  it probably
is the same thing.

Best,
Leon