Quantcast

GHC 7.4 and binutils-gold

Michael Snoyman
Hi all,

One other little GHC 7.4 note. When I first tried building code with
it, I got the following error message:

/usr/bin/ld: --hash-size=31: unknown option

Once I uninstalled binutils-gold, everything went just fine. Has
anyone else experienced this? I'm running Ubuntu Oneiric.

Michael

Re: GHC 7.4 and binutils-gold

austin seipp-3
I encountered this problem approximately a month ago building HEAD and
reported it to Ian:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2011-November/068562.html

His fix worked - but I was doing a build from source. The problem now
is that this is a -build-time- option, not a runtime option, but
you're using pre-built binaries: ones that were built on Linux systems
using GNU ld, not gold. So removing gold is basically your only hope
for the 7.4.1 RC.

Alternatively, you could probably tell GHC which ld to use by aliasing
GHC to something like 'ghc -pgml ld.ld' - Oneiric installs gold under
'ld.gold' and moves GNU ld to 'ld.ld' so you still have both
installed. It just updates the ld symlink to point to the gold binary
by default.

So if 7.4.1 final wants to support gold, this logic needs to be moved
to runtime somehow.

This should probably be discussed on cvs-ghc or glasgow-haskell-users
with Ian et al.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Michael Snoyman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One other little GHC 7.4 note. When I first tried building code with
> it, I got the following error message:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: --hash-size=31: unknown option
>
> Once I uninstalled binutils-gold, everything went just fine. Has
> anyone else experienced this? I'm running Ubuntu Oneiric.
>
> Michael

Austin