Quantcast

GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1-rc4 then let us know, grab the source distribution and
       start building. The binary distributions will be all released one
       week from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to announce the release of the 8.0.1-rc4 source distribution
to binary packagers. This release should resolve all of the issues noted
in the release candidate 3 announcement. You will find the usual
artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1-rc4/

For this candidate we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. I have yet to push the ghc-8.0.1-rc4 tag in case we
encounter unexpected issues but all of my builds with this tarball
thusfar have gone quite well.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
heres my OSX build that matches up with that RC4 commit / 8.0 tip
https://wellposed-carter-files.s3.amazonaws.com/opensource/ghc/releasebuild-unofficial/ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

$ shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
3ecd0a9c4578ac38883de03f66e8d86955368eec2bea52a409de0053386b53c89ac954b2806ef5ac73bb924d62821ce685ff5301b780646fedd45c99d5942a90  ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> heres my OSX build that matches up with that RC4 commit / 8.0 tip
> https://wellposed-carter-files.s3.amazonaws.com/opensource/ghc/releasebuild-unofficial/ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
>
> $ shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
> 3ecd0a9c4578ac38883de03f66e8d86955368eec2bea52a409de0053386b53c89ac954b2806ef5ac73bb924d62821ce685ff5301b780646fedd45c99d5942a90
>  ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

Thanks Carter!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Páli Gábor János
> tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
>        8.0.1-rc4 then let us know, grab the source distribution and
>        start building.

The FreeBSD builds (32- and 64-bit, for 9.3-RELEASE or later) are now
available there:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/8.0.0.20160421/

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

George Colpitts
I'm having problems using the Apple toolchain to build this on Mac OS. Has anybody succeeded with the Apple toolchain?

First I get the error:

     broken 'nm' detected, see https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/11744.
     Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=nm-classic' to 'configure'.

but after I try that workaround I get:

inplace/bin/deriveConstants --gen-header -o includes/dist-derivedconstants/header/DerivedConstants.h --tmpdir includes/dist-derivedconstants/header/ --gcc-program "/usr/bin/gcc" --gcc-flag -Wall --gcc-flag -Wno-unknown-pragmas --gcc-flag -m64 --gcc-flag -fno-stack-protector --gcc-flag -Iincludes --gcc-flag -Iincludes/dist --gcc-flag -Iincludes/dist-derivedconstants/header --gcc-flag -Iincludes/dist-ghcconstants/header --gcc-flag -Irts --gcc-flag -fcommon --nm-program "nm-classic" --target-os "darwin"
deriveConstants: nm-classic: readCreateProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: does not exist (No such file or directory)
make[1]: *** [includes/dist-derivedconstants/header/DerivedConstants.h] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks
George

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've a working build I'll circulate
Also that path to nm classic is wrong.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM Ben Gamari <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ben@well-typed.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ben@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Carter. I'm not so concerned with obtaining a working build. I'd like to be able to build with the Apple toolchain. I assume there are other developers who feel the same.

Can you elaborate on the "path to nm classic is wrong" ?

Cheers
George

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:42 AM Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

retrying with

./configure --with-nm=$(xcode-select -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:49 AM George Colpitts <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

err, i mean, sphinx was giving
checking for version of sphinx-build... Sphinx (sphinx-build) 1.4.1
./configure: line 9698: test: Sphinx (sphinx-build) 1: integer expression expected

which version of sphinx for which python are we supposed to use?

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

fixed up the sphinx confusion...

seems we need the python 2.7 sphinx installed? (or at least, it wasn't checking sphinx correctly to handle the version supported in the python 3 series?!)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ok, its detecting my python3 sphinx 1.4 install,
but also looks like the autoconf is getting confused
FP_COMPARE_VERSIONS([$fp_cv_sphinx_version],-lt,1.0.0,
    [AC_MSG_WARN([Sphinx version 1.0.0 or later is required to build documentation]); SPHINXBUILD=;])
seems to be the relevant bit, though its setting the config correctly now I *believe
*

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The error message should be changed from

      Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=nm-classic' to 'configure'.

       Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=$(xcode-select -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic' to 'configure'.

Once I did that (as documented in https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/11744) I was able to do a build

Cheers
George

George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> retrying with
>
> ./configure --with-nm=$(xcode-select -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic

Hi George,

Did this work out for you? Indeed the advice given by the error message
may be a bit misleading (as nm-classic may not be in PATH). Let me know
if you have any suggestions for how to improve the message.

Thanks for trying the build and sorry for the late reply!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> ok, its detecting my python3 sphinx 1.4 install,
> but also looks like the autoconf is getting confused
> FP_COMPARE_VERSIONS([$fp_cv_sphinx_version],-lt,1.0.0,
>     [AC_MSG_WARN([Sphinx version 1.0.0 or later is required to build
> documentation]); SPHINXBUILD=;])
> seems to be the relevant bit, though its setting the config correctly now I
> *believe*

Hmm, did you ever work out what was going on here? I've built with both
Python 2 and Python 3 Sphinx installations and had no trouble in either
case. That being said, this was on Linux so this data point may not mean
much on OS X.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> The error message should be changed from
>
>       Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=nm-classic' to
> 'configure'.

>        Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=$(xcode-select
> -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic' to 'configure'.
>
> Once I did that (as documented in https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/11744) I
> was able to do a build

Ahh, great! Ignore my previous message. I'll update the error.

Thanks for looking at this, George! Working out papercuts like this is
extremely helpful.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
Thomie (Thomas M?) pointed out that there may have been a "are-validating" make file in my /mk/ dir that could have been messing with things.

i've gotten a build i'm happy with, i'm now seeing if i can tweak it to have the otool -L output favor stuff in /usr/lib (ie mac standard stuff) vs userland overlays for some basic linker stuff

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> ok, its detecting my python3 sphinx 1.4 install,
> but also looks like the autoconf is getting confused
> FP_COMPARE_VERSIONS([$fp_cv_sphinx_version],-lt,1.0.0,
>     [AC_MSG_WARN([Sphinx version 1.0.0 or later is required to build
> documentation]); SPHINXBUILD=;])
> seems to be the relevant bit, though its setting the config correctly now I
> *believe*

Hmm, did you ever work out what was going on here? I've built with both
Python 2 and Python 3 Sphinx installations and had no trouble in either
case. That being said, this was on Linux so this data point may not mean
much on OS X.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> The error message should be changed from
>
>       Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=nm-classic' to
> 'configure'.

>        Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=$(xcode-select
> -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic' to 'configure'.
>
> Once I did that (as documented in https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/11744) I
> was able to do a build

Hmm, although I just checked on our OS X test box (which has the
command-line tools installed, not full XCode) and it seems that the
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Toolchains directory doesn't exist.
Presumably this is a (rather unfortunate) difference between full XCode
and the command-line package. Do you know whether there is some advice
that we might be able to offer that will work in both cases?

If not I suspect we should just go with your suggestion; the full-XCode
case is the far more likely of the two.

Cheers,

- Ben