GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> i'm running into some confusions with getting docs built correclty / not
> generating the pdfs and html assets i expect, i'll share an updated sha etc
> when i track that down

It would be great if you could share a few more details about what
particular issues you have encountered (and what was necessary to get
past them) so we can hopefully smooth them out in the release (either
with code changes or better build documentation in the Wiki).

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thomie (Thomas M?) pointed out that there may have been a "are-validating"
> make file in my /mk/ dir that could have been messing with things.
>
> i've gotten a build i'm happy with, i'm now seeing if i can tweak it to
> have the otool -L output favor stuff in /usr/lib (ie mac standard stuff) vs
> userland overlays for some basic linker stuff

Could you elaborate a bit here?

If there are manual tweaks applied to the build then we need to make
sure they are documented (or ideally scripted, with the script in a
publicly accessible, version controlled location), especially if we
want to offer your build in some "official" capacity.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Brandon Allbery
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmm, although I just checked on our OS X test box (which has the
command-line tools installed, not full XCode) and it seems that the
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Toolchains directory doesn't exist.
Presumably this is a (rather unfortunate) difference between full XCode
and the command-line package. Do you know whether there is some advice
that we might be able to offer that will work in both cases?

There doesn't seem to be an nm-classic corresponding to the Command Line Tools. In 10.11 at least, that package name is a misnomer; the command line utilities are part of the base system (com.apple.pkg.Essentials) and the SDK package is just includes and libs. There's no nm-classic hidden in either of them.

Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, although I just checked on our OS X test box (which has the
>> command-line tools installed, not full XCode) and it seems that the
>> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Toolchains directory doesn't exist.
>> Presumably this is a (rather unfortunate) difference between full XCode
>> and the command-line package. Do you know whether there is some advice
>> that we might be able to offer that will work in both cases?
>>

> There doesn't seem to be an nm-classic corresponding to the Command Line
> Tools. In 10.11 at least, that package name is a misnomer; the command line
> utilities are part of the base system (com.apple.pkg.Essentials) and the
> SDK package is just includes and libs. There's no nm-classic hidden in
> either of them.

Ahh, this is useful. Thanks!

In that case I suppose I need to work out how to install the full XCode
package via the command line. If you have any pointers for this it would
be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

- Ben

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

In that case I suppose I need to work out how to install the full XCode
package via the command line.

Uh, it's Apple. They don't *do* that. No Apple-sanctioned CLI access to the App Store (but see https://github.com/argon/mas --- note need to sign in to it with an Apple ID before use), and need to web login with an Apple ID and some level (including free) of developer registration to get it from developer.apple.com.

It's kinda ironic that these days even Microsoft does better (cf. Chocolatey).

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3
Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> In that case I suppose I need to work out how to install the full XCode
>> package via the command line.
>

> Uh, it's Apple. They don't *do* that. No Apple-sanctioned CLI access to the
> App Store (but see https://github.com/argon/mas --- note need to sign in to
> it with an Apple ID before use), and need to web login with an Apple ID and
> some level (including free) of developer registration to get it from
> developer.apple.com.

Sigh, that is what I was afraid of that. I guess we'll have to work
something out. Thanks!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
I'll try to collect my thoughts and tease out what did/didn't work tomorrow,
in the mean time, here's a build I believe should work for everyone on mac and should have full docs,

shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
969eb2914b9c7c31bcdfb814aac34f0dcd9d6c8d7b9e7affe1605985e9de543d911dc6dae0fa05a32da12150d56488e56ad6fbf4d1f818ec84f7a4759d876c95  ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

one niggling issue is that, at least based upon the output of otool -L, the builds point to  /usr/local/lib/gcc/6/libgcc_s.1.dylib
(my userland GCC leaking through)
and I *believe* but could be wrong that its better to have it point to /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib or something?
otoh, the otool -L output of those respective things are VERY different

I will investigate that further, though its orthogonal to my doc building confusion that I still need to work out what happened with

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thomie (Thomas M?) pointed out that there may have been a "are-validating"
> make file in my /mk/ dir that could have been messing with things.
>
> i've gotten a build i'm happy with, i'm now seeing if i can tweak it to
> have the otool -L output favor stuff in /usr/lib (ie mac standard stuff) vs
> userland overlays for some basic linker stuff

Could you elaborate a bit here?

If there are manual tweaks applied to the build then we need to make
sure they are documented (or ideally scripted, with the script in a
publicly accessible, version controlled location), especially if we
want to offer your build in some "official" capacity.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
(NB: i would like any folks who don't have a gcc6 dylib as i mention above to please stress test it out :) ), though it didn't seem to interfere with builds  when i deleted gcc6 and had it go through its paces

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll try to collect my thoughts and tease out what did/didn't work tomorrow,
in the mean time, here's a build I believe should work for everyone on mac and should have full docs,

shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
969eb2914b9c7c31bcdfb814aac34f0dcd9d6c8d7b9e7affe1605985e9de543d911dc6dae0fa05a32da12150d56488e56ad6fbf4d1f818ec84f7a4759d876c95  ghc-8.0.0.20160421-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

one niggling issue is that, at least based upon the output of otool -L, the builds point to  /usr/local/lib/gcc/6/libgcc_s.1.dylib
(my userland GCC leaking through)
and I *believe* but could be wrong that its better to have it point to /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib or something?
otoh, the otool -L output of those respective things are VERY different

I will investigate that further, though its orthogonal to my doc building confusion that I still need to work out what happened with

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thomie (Thomas M?) pointed out that there may have been a "are-validating"
> make file in my /mk/ dir that could have been messing with things.
>
> i've gotten a build i'm happy with, i'm now seeing if i can tweak it to
> have the otool -L output favor stuff in /usr/lib (ie mac standard stuff) vs
> userland overlays for some basic linker stuff

Could you elaborate a bit here?

If there are manual tweaks applied to the build then we need to make
sure they are documented (or ideally scripted, with the script in a
publicly accessible, version controlled location), especially if we
want to offer your build in some "official" capacity.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Brandon Allbery
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
and I *believe* but could be wrong that its better to have it point to /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib or something?
otoh, the otool -L output of those respective things are VERY different

People will need to have that libgcc_s.1.dylib *by path* installed. Apple's is likely too old to be compatible, so copying it or using install_name_tool to repoint to it will likely lead to a non-working program.

You mentioned at one point that you built using a local gcc install. gcc uses its bundled libgcc_s; so you will have that dependency unless you switch to /usr/bin/clang to build.

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

George Colpitts
Definitely more complicated than I thought. :)

It also seems as if Xcode has changed in that I used to be able to install command line tools from Xcode and did. However in Xcode 7.3 Preferences-> Components implies I already have it.

I guess the best thing would be for configure to figure all this out and do the right thing. I'm guessing that is not easy and I don't believe it is critical for the release of 8.0. The second best thing to do would be to have the error message suggest two possible workaround/fixes with an explanation that one is for people with full Xcode, the other for people with only XCode command line tools.

In any case I trust in your judgement and that of other ghc developers with more experience than me to do the right thing. I wish I could be more helpful.

Cheers
George

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> The error message should be changed from
>
>       Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=nm-classic' to
> 'configure'.

>        Workaround: You may want to pass '--with-nm=$(xcode-select
> -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/nm-classic' to 'configure'.
>
> Once I did that (as documented in https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/11744) I
> was able to do a build

Hmm, although I just checked on our OS X test box (which has the
command-line tools installed, not full XCode) and it seems that the
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Toolchains directory doesn't exist.
Presumably this is a (rather unfortunate) difference between full XCode
and the command-line package. Do you know whether there is some advice
that we might be able to offer that will work in both cases?

If not I suspect we should just go with your suggestion; the full-XCode
case is the far more likely of the two.

Cheers,

- Ben

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
It *seemed* to work fine even with that lib no longer at that path, but famous last words. It does seem that it doesn't do anything

It's only used when it needs to do something for which the CPU lacks support so a call to an emulation is used instead of trying to generate native code for it. Maybe you got lucky and ghc doesn't actually need it in its C bits. Or maybe it'll explode only when there's a full moon in Scorpio and Mars is ascendant. :/ (Well, when some rarely used operation happens to need something that x86_64 needs help with. I don't think there are many of those --- which means it's going to be an even rarer explosion.)

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
I guess I have some spelunking to do tomorrow

It looks like apples libgcc may be some sort of clang thingy.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Carter Schonwald <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;carter.schonwald@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">carter.schonwald@...> wrote:
It *seemed* to work fine even with that lib no longer at that path, but famous last words. It does seem that it doesn't do anything

It's only used when it needs to do something for which the CPU lacks support so a call to an emulation is used instead of trying to generate native code for it. Maybe you got lucky and ghc doesn't actually need it in its C bits. Or maybe it'll explode only when there's a full moon in Scorpio and Mars is ascendant. :/ (Well, when some rarely used operation happens to need something that x86_64 needs help with. I don't think there are many of those --- which means it's going to be an even rarer explosion.)

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald

https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/libgcc/config/darwin-64.c

If my understanding of the code is correct, there's no problems ! :)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
If my understanding of the code is correct, there's no problems ! :)

I have to admit I was wondering if it was just a stub to keep the rest of gcc / crt0/crtn happy....

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Carter Schonwald
it looks like the last bit i need to audit is https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/libgcc/config.host#L569-L572
and then just run some experiments tomorrow :)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Brandon Allbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
If my understanding of the code is correct, there's no problems ! :)

I have to admit I was wondering if it was just a stub to keep the rest of gcc / crt0/crtn happy....

Re: GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Karel Gardas

distros for

sparc-solaris2.11
i386-solaris2.11
x86_64-solaris2.11
powerpc64-linux
x86_64-openbsd5.9

uploaded and signed in http://uloz.to/xPKKdvtV/bindist-tar

Thanks,
Karel

Karel Gardas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> distros for
>
> sparc-solaris2.11
> i386-solaris2.11
> x86_64-solaris2.11
> powerpc64-linux
> x86_64-openbsd5.9
>
> uploaded and signed in http://uloz.to/xPKKdvtV/bindist-tar

Thanks Karel!

I've started to fetch the tarball; I'll likely announce the release
later today.

Cheers,

- Ben

[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-3
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Carter Schonwald
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too