GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Carter Schonwald
that build confusion aside:

shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.1-x86_64-apple-darwin-gcc5.tar.xz
54025a674cf95eaf5f26f46617164592266b76f17c740f17feb134208c7e6e25d1b685a9fc95877a3449c0e496492d8a55da2dae6ddade6a8cc8de8441415073
is the hash of the build i've uploaded

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-3
Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> writes:

> [ Unknown signature status ]
>> [ Unknown signature status ]
> tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
>        8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
>        building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
>        from today.
>

> Hello GHC packagers,

Given that there appear to be haddock issues, perhaps builders should
hold off a little bit on building more distributions. I'll try to have a
look into the issue shortly (although wasn't able to reproduce the
failure the first time around).

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

George Colpitts
I didn't hit that issue AFAIK, the build seemed to go fine (on a mac)

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

George Colpitts
Sorry maybe I did hit it when I did a make install, it ended

cp: utils/haddock/doc/haddock: No such file or directory
bash-3.2$

Carter, not sure if that is the same issue you encountered

Thanks
George

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM George Colpitts <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't hit that issue AFAIK, the build seemed to go fine (on a mac)

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Carter Schonwald
Yup

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ben@well-typed.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ben@...> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

George Colpitts
Using the ghc I built from the source tarball I encountered a problem  in doing a cabal install -j5 hlint (on a Mac). I got

cabal install -j5 hlint
Failed to install extra-1.4.6
Build log ( /Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log ):
/Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log: openFile: does not exist (No
such file or directory)

I didn't have this problem with earlier versions of ghc 8 when did cabal install hlint but I'm not sure if the versions involved in previous hlint components were the same

Cheers
George

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

George Colpitts
seems to be intermittent, I have got past this problem

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM George Colpitts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Using the ghc I built from the source tarball I encountered a problem  in doing a cabal install -j5 hlint (on a Mac). I got

cabal install -j5 hlint
Failed to install extra-1.4.6
Build log ( /Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log ):
/Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log: openFile: does not exist (No
such file or directory)

I didn't have this problem with earlier versions of ghc 8 when did cabal install hlint but I'm not sure if the versions involved in previous hlint components were the same

Cheers
George

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Carter Schonwald
Which version of cabal the binary vs Cabal the lib  etc did you use?

Is this package level parallel builds or module level?
I definitely hit a hard to reproduce problem where sublime Haskell would sometimes hang on stderr output from a vanilla cabal build invocation.

What command let's you reproduce it intermittently? Also how many cores / ram does the machine have?

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM George Colpitts <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;george.colpitts@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">george.colpitts@...> wrote:
Using the ghc I built from the source tarball I encountered a problem  in doing a cabal install -j5 hlint (on a Mac). I got

cabal install -j5 hlint
Failed to install extra-1.4.6
Build log ( /Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log ):
/Users/gcolpitts/.cabal/logs/extra-1.4.6.log: openFile: does not exist (No
such file or directory)

I didn't have this problem with earlier versions of ghc 8 when did cabal install hlint but I'm not sure if the versions involved in previous hlint components were the same

Cheers
George

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Carter Schonwald <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;carter.schonwald@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">carter.schonwald@...> wrote:
i hit tar: ghc-8.0.1/utils/haddock/doc/haddock/*: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
whats that about?
i can try to poke at it this evening too

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Ben Gamari <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ben@well-typed.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ben@...> wrote:
> [ Unknown signature status ]
tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
       building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
       from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/

These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

    e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.

For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
opportunity for support from the first day of a release.

If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
distribution for this release.

Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
issues.

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Jens Petersen-4
On 12 May 2016 at 00:33, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
> distribution to binary packagers.

I am going to build it in my Fedora Copr repo.

One thing I noticed is that Cabal got reverted from version 1.24.1.0
in RC4 to 1.24.0.0?
Is that intentional?
(I managed to build cabal-install-1.24.0.0 with Cabal-1.24.1.0 but not
1.24.0.0 with RC4.)

Thanks, Jens

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-3
Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> writes:

> [ Unknown signature status ]
>> [ Unknown signature status ]
> tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
>        8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
>        building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
>        from today.
>

> Hello GHC packagers,
>
> I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
> distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at
>
>     http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/
>
> These tarballs are derived from GHC commit

Sorry about the false start earlier. It seems there were a few tricky
bits in the integration between haddock and GHC's build system that
weren't quite right. This should be fixed now.

I've pushed the result to the ghc-8.0 branch and have pushed a set of
new source tarballs to the usual URL. The new release commit is

    b594f8191273f4c913bc8413d30fd3061bb577c1

Again, I'll hold off a bit longer in pushing the tag in case there are
further issues. As always, let me know if you have any issues (and
thanks to those who alerted me of the Haddock issue).

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
On 2016-05-12 at 12:47:05 +0200, Ben Gamari wrote:

[...]

> I've pushed the result to the ghc-8.0 branch and have pushed a set of
> new source tarballs to the usual URL. The new release commit is
>
>     b594f8191273f4c913bc8413d30fd3061bb577c1

fyi, an easy way to verify you have the intended tarball is:

$ tar xOf ghc-8.0.1-src.tar.xz ghc-8.0.1/GIT_COMMIT_ID; echo
e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065

(that's the old one)

PS: I've just been told the md5sum of the new tarball is
    94da3386c0de519eeea37586edd90187

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Carter Schonwald
my built with the fresher tarball (matching the md5 sum that herbert mentions)

and the sha info is
shasum -a512 ghc-8.0.1-x86_64-apple-darwin-built-with-gcc5.tar.xz
e6a1688e4bdb96328f866ec79bb6182e3d49833a86099026078effa3556d5d96832a10e095a0fe92d35480fbe243f6472c3361217955ac0e758ea6814cd295bd

On 2016-05-12 at 12:47:05 +0200, Ben Gamari wrote:

[...]

> I've pushed the result to the ghc-8.0 branch and have pushed a set of
> new source tarballs to the usual URL. The new release commit is
>
>     b594f8191273f4c913bc8413d30fd3061bb577c1

fyi, an easy way to verify you have the intended tarball is:

$ tar xOf ghc-8.0.1-src.tar.xz ghc-8.0.1/GIT_COMMIT_ID; echo
e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065

(that's the old one)

PS: I've just been told the md5sum of the new tarball is
    94da3386c0de519eeea37586edd90187

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János
Hi there,

> Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> writes:
> Sorry about the false start earlier. It seems there were a few tricky
> bits in the integration between haddock and GHC's build system that
> weren't quite right. This should be fixed now.

I have tried to build the source tarball on FreeBSD, but it always
stops somewhere around the documentation bits with the following error
message:

[..]
make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/local/bin/sphinx-build
make: illegal option -- -
usage: make [-BPSXeiknpqrstv] [-C directory] [-D variable]
        [-d flags] [-E variable] [-f makefile] [-I directory]
        [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-V variable]
        [variable=value] [target ...]
utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk:22: recipe for target 'html_utils/haddock/doc' failed
gmake[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
the recursive invocation of make(1).

Unfortunately, I will not have the time to figure this out today, so I
am just reporting this without a proposal for the fix.

Thanks,
Gábor

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János
> That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
> be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
> unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
> the recursive invocation of make(1).
>
> Unfortunately, I will not have the time to figure this out today, so I
> am just reporting this without a proposal for the fix.

Ohh, I was quick to surrender: all you have to do is to
s/make/$(MAKE)/ in line 22 at utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János
>> That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
>> be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
>> unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
>> the recursive invocation of make(1).
[..]
> Ohh, I was quick to surrender: all you have to do is to
> s/make/$(MAKE)/ in line 22 at utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk.

All right, everything is now filed as #12058.

Páli Gábor János <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> That is probably because FreeBSD has GNU make(1) as `gmake`, it should
>>> be invoked with that name.  I suspect that, for some reason (which is
>>> unknown to me), the value of the $(MAKE) variable is not respected at
>>> the recursive invocation of make(1).
> [..]
>> Ohh, I was quick to surrender: all you have to do is to
>> s/make/$(MAKE)/ in line 22 at utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk.
>
> All right, everything is now filed as #12058.
Thanks Páli! This should now be fixed on the ghc-8.0 branch. The
question how is what should be done about for the 8.0.1 release. It
seems that there are two decisions to be made here,

 1. Do we cut a new source tarball and bump the tag?
 2. If so, do we throw out the existing binary distributions?

The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
associated source tarball.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Jan Stolarek
I am getting a build error under openSUSE 11.4:

make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/bin/sphinx-build
/usr/bin/sphinx-build -b html . .build-html
Running Sphinx v1.2.3

Theme error:
no theme named 'alabaster' found (missing theme.conf?)
make[2]: *** [html] Error 1
make[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions how to fix it?

Janek

Dnia środa, 11 maja 2016, Ben Gamari napisał:

> > [ Unknown signature status ]
>
> tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
>        8.0.1 then let us know, grab the source distribution and start
>        building. The binary distributions will be all released one week
>        from today.
>

> Hello GHC packagers,
>
> I am happy to at long last announce the release of the 8.0.1 source
> distribution to binary packagers. You will find the usual artifacts at
>
>     http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/
>
> These tarballs are derived from GHC commit
>
>     e99c1e2516aeb283172c7e6898508238e33cf065.
>
> For this release we are again following our new release policy [1],
> with a one-week delay between the release of the source and binary
> distributions. The goal of this policy is to give all platforms the
> opportunity for support from the first day of a release.
>
> If all of the expected binary releases are submitted before the
> week-long delay has elapsed, we will move forward with the release of
> the binaries on an accelerated schedule. It would be appreciated if you
> could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a binary
> distribution for this release.
>
> Otherwise, let either Austin or I know if you have any trouble building
> your distribution. As usual I'll hold off on pushing the release git tag
> until we have a few binaries built in case we encounter unexpected
> issues.
>
> Good luck and thanks for all of your work!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>

> [1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2016-March/011546.html

---
Politechnika Łódzka
Lodz University of Technology

Treść tej wiadomości zawiera informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę
prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

This email contains information intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-2
Jan Stolarek <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am getting a build error under openSUSE 11.4:
>
> make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/bin/sphinx-build
> /usr/bin/sphinx-build -b html . .build-html
> Running Sphinx v1.2.3
>
> Theme error:
> no theme named 'alabaster' found (missing theme.conf?)
> make[2]: *** [html] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions how to fix it?

Yes, it seems that the theme that haddock requests was first introduced
to Sphinx in version 1.3. I have encountered this issue myself as well
and yesterday pushed a patch vendorizing the alabaster repository to
ensure that we can build with earlier Sphinx versions. Without this
patch the workaround is to `pip install alabaster` or disable building
of Sphinx documentation.

So, be we yet again have the question of how to deal with this change. I really don't
know what I want to let Haddock's documentation hold up the GHC release
any more than it already has. As I indicated earlier, the prospect of
releasing binaries which weren't derived from the official source
release isn't terribly attractive but may be the best we can do here.
The alternative would be do release 8.0.1 as-is with some notes in the
release notes and immediately start preparing an 8.0.2 after its is
released.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Karel Gardas
On 05/14/16 11:28 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:

>> [..]
>>> Ohh, I was quick to surrender: all you have to do is to
>>> s/make/$(MAKE)/ in line 22 at utils/haddock/doc/ghc.mk.
>>
>> All right, everything is now filed as #12058.
>
> Thanks Páli! This should now be fixed on the ghc-8.0 branch. The
> question how is what should be done about for the 8.0.1 release. It
> seems that there are two decisions to be made here,
>
>   1. Do we cut a new source tarball and bump the tag?
>   2. If so, do we throw out the existing binary distributions?
>
> The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
> dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
> associated source tarball.

This is interesting since I build dists for solaris and openbsd and none
of those were affected by the bug. I guess all other Linuxes naturally
use gnu make as `make' and Windows in msys too so only non-GNU/non-Linux
systems should be affected and from those only FreeBSD has caught this.
If this is true, then I would recommend "no" to both points and leave
the fix in 8.0 branch for 8.0.2...

or! you can create 8.0.1b sources and rebuild on FreeBSD to have 8.0.1b
binary dist for this platform. Anyway I think nobody will shoot anyone
if Gabor just fix it in his own tree and rebuild silently fixed 8.0.1.

Cheers,
Karel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Jan Stolarek
I did `pip install alabaster` but keep getting the same error. Unless I need to rebuild everything
from scratch (in which case I'll probably disable the docs).

Janek

Dnia sobota, 14 maja 2016, Ben Gamari napisał:

> Jan Stolarek <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I am getting a build error under openSUSE 11.4:
> >
> > make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/bin/sphinx-build
> > /usr/bin/sphinx-build -b html . .build-html
> > Running Sphinx v1.2.3
> >
> > Theme error:
> > no theme named 'alabaster' found (missing theme.conf?)
> > make[2]: *** [html] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > Any suggestions how to fix it?
>
> Yes, it seems that the theme that haddock requests was first introduced
> to Sphinx in version 1.3. I have encountered this issue myself as well
> and yesterday pushed a patch vendorizing the alabaster repository to
> ensure that we can build with earlier Sphinx versions. Without this
> patch the workaround is to `pip install alabaster` or disable building
> of Sphinx documentation.
>
> So, be we yet again have the question of how to deal with this change. I
> really don't know what I want to let Haddock's documentation hold up the
> GHC release any more than it already has. As I indicated earlier, the
> prospect of releasing binaries which weren't derived from the official
> source
> release isn't terribly attractive but may be the best we can do here.
> The alternative would be do release 8.0.1 as-is with some notes in the
> release notes and immediately start preparing an 8.0.2 after its is
> released.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben