GHC 8.0.1-rc4 source tarball availability

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Páli Gábor János
> On 05/14/16 11:28 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>> The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
>> dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
>> associated source tarball.
>
> I guess all other Linuxes naturally use gnu
> make as `make' and Windows in msys too so only non-GNU/non-Linux
> systems should be affected and from those only FreeBSD has caught this.

Yes, that is possible.  I do not know either Solaris or OpenBSD well
enough, but I suspect they might have GNU make(1) installed in their
paths as `make` or their default make(1) can understand GNU-style
Makefiles.  FreeBSD has BSD make(1), which is the default, and this
cannot comprehend the GNU-style files at all.

Anyhow, in my humble opinion, it is a bad practice the hardwire the
name of the make tool in the sources.

> If this is
> true, then I would recommend "no" to both points and leave the fix in 8.0
> branch for 8.0.2...

Well, in theory, FreeBSD is still a Tier-1 platform, so every release
should just build fine without any further efforts.  I am also aware
of the fact I am considered a minority here, and that this is just a
minor technical problem that could wait for some undetermined time.
However, personally, I would be quite disappointed if this promise was
broken.

I am sorry and apologize that I found this bug after the release was
tagged, but I did not have the chance to test it before it was
considered a final release.  I tracked the 8.0.1 Release Candidates
and provided binary tarballs for them, they all went fine, but
apparently that was not enough.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Karel Gardas
On 05/14/16 10:18 PM, Páli Gábor János wrote:

>> On 05/14/16 11:28 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>> The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
>>> dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
>>> associated source tarball.
>>
>> I guess all other Linuxes naturally use gnu
>> make as `make' and Windows in msys too so only non-GNU/non-Linux
>> systems should be affected and from those only FreeBSD has caught this.
>
> Yes, that is possible.  I do not know either Solaris or OpenBSD well
> enough, but I suspect they might have GNU make(1) installed in their
> paths as `make` or their default make(1) can understand GNU-style

No, on Solaris `make` is some Sun/Oracle make:

$ make --version
make: Warning: Ignoring DistributedMake -v option
make: Warning: Ignoring DistributedMake -o option
make: Fatal error: No dmake output dir argument after -o flag

and GNU make is correctly installed as `gmake`:

$ gmake --version
GNU Make 3.82
Built for i386-pc-solaris2.11
Copyright (C) 2010  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

and on OpenBSD this is the same, except that `make` is BSD make:

$ make --version
make: unknown option -- -
usage: make [-BeiknpqrSst] [-C directory] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-f mk]
             [-I directory] [-j max_processes] [-m directory] [-V variable]
             [NAME=value] [target ...]

$ gmake --version
GNU Make 4.1
Built for x86_64-unknown-openbsd5.9
Copyright (C) 1988-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

> Anyhow, in my humble opinion, it is a bad practice the hardwire the
> name of the make tool in the sources.

Completely agree with you on this.

>> If this is
>> true, then I would recommend "no" to both points and leave the fix in 8.0
>> branch for 8.0.2...
>
> Well, in theory, FreeBSD is still a Tier-1 platform, so every release
> should just build fine without any further efforts.  I am also aware
> of the fact I am considered a minority here, and that this is just a
> minor technical problem that could wait for some undetermined time.
> However, personally, I would be quite disappointed if this promise was
> broken.

Hmm, indeed, FreeBSD is tier-1. I'm sorry, but I completely forgotten this.

> I am sorry and apologize that I found this bug after the release was
> tagged, but I did not have the chance to test it before it was
> considered a final release.  I tracked the 8.0.1 Release Candidates
> and provided binary tarballs for them, they all went fine, but
> apparently that was not enough.

Apparently this slipped from HEAD to 8.0 branch and it should not,
especially considering this was already on RC4. But well such mistakes
happen. OK! I've thought to save the energy on building another set of
dists, but you have my word on this, to have FBSD folks happy I'm ready
to rebuild again if Ben submits `c' version of 8.0.1 release source
code. :-)

Cheers,
Karel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-2
Jan Stolarek <[hidden email]> writes:

> I did `pip install alabaster` but keep getting the same error. Unless I need to rebuild everything
> from scratch (in which case I'll probably disable the docs).

Hmm, interesting. Indeed I suspect it is best to just disable the docs
in this case. Given the various issues that have been encountered with
this release I suspect we'll be doing a 8.0.2 quite shortly.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari-3
Páli Gábor János <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On 05/14/16 11:28 AM, Ben Gamari wrote:
>>> The pragmatist in me wants to answer 1) yes, 2) no, although I do
>>> dislike the idea of distributing binaries that weren't derived from the
>>> associated source tarball.
>>
>> I guess all other Linuxes naturally use gnu
>> make as `make' and Windows in msys too so only non-GNU/non-Linux
>> systems should be affected and from those only FreeBSD has caught this.
>
> Yes, that is possible.  I do not know either Solaris or OpenBSD well
> enough, but I suspect they might have GNU make(1) installed in their
> paths as `make` or their default make(1) can understand GNU-style
> Makefiles.  FreeBSD has BSD make(1), which is the default, and this
> cannot comprehend the GNU-style files at all.
>
> Anyhow, in my humble opinion, it is a bad practice the hardwire the
> name of the make tool in the sources.

Indeed, this was my mistake. I'll try to be more careful of this in the
future.

>> If this is
>> true, then I would recommend "no" to both points and leave the fix in 8.0
>> branch for 8.0.2...
>
> Well, in theory, FreeBSD is still a Tier-1 platform, so every release
> should just build fine without any further efforts.  I am also aware
> of the fact I am considered a minority here, and that this is just a
> minor technical problem that could wait for some undetermined time.
> However, personally, I would be quite disappointed if this promise was
> broken.

Yes, you are right. FreeBSD is tier-1 and we have committed to ensure
these work out-of-the-box. I had neglected to consider this in my
previous assessment of the situation.

In light of this I think we have little choice but to throw out these
binaries and re-spin. Thankfully I have held off on pushing the tag until
the last possible moment.

I think at the moment we should include the following in the new release,

 * the haddock $(MAKE) fix
 * the patch vendorising the alabaster theme for haddock's documentation
 * the patch fixing the clean rule for haddock's documentation
 * the patch ensuring haddock documentation is built for ghc's `all`
   target
 * D2224, which splits ghc-boot to avoid unnecessary transitive
   dependencies in template-haskell (which otherwise would have
   necessitated a prompt 8.0.2 release)
 * A small fix for PPC which fixes crashes in threaded programs

In the interest of risk minimization I think that is all we should merge.

> I am sorry and apologize that I found this bug after the release was
> tagged, but I did not have the chance to test it before it was
> considered a final release.

No need to apologize; I'm glad you brought up the issue. The release
will go out when it's ready.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Jens Petersen-4
On 16 May 2016 at 19:27, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
:
>  * the patch vendorising the alabaster theme for haddock's documentation

Thanks this also affects the build for RHEL7, so it will help me.

Jens

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Peter Trommler-3

> On 16.05.2016, at 12:27, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I think at the moment we should include the following in the new release,
>
> * A small fix for PPC which fixes crashes in threaded programs
Is this #12070?

I just uploaded D2225 to Phab.

> In the interest of risk minimization I think that is all we should merge.

D2225 changes all architectures to use compiler built-ins for
the SMP primitives. To minimize risk I could prepare the patch so it only
applies to PowerPC and we do the rest for 8.0.2. Please let me know if you would
like me to prepare the less risky patch.

Cheers, Peter

GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball availability

Ben Gamari-3

tl;dr: If you would like to produce a binary distribution for GHC
       8.2.1-rc1 then let me know, grab the source distribution and
       start building. The binary distributions will be announced one
       week from today.

Hello GHC packagers,

I am happy to announce the release of the 8.2.1-rc1 source distribution
to binary packagers. You will find the usual source artifacts at

    http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.2.1-rc1/

As usual, the sooner we can get the binary distributions together the
better, but I will hold off on announcing the distributions until next
Sunday to ensure we're all on the same page. It would be appreciated if
you could reply to this message confirming that you intend to offer a
binary distribution this release.

Otherwise, let me know if you have any trouble building your
distribution. I have yet to push the ghc-8.2.1-rc1 tag in case we
encounter unexpected issues but all of my builds with this tarball
thusfar have gone swimmingly save a few known issues (namely #13426,
#13233, and #13509).

Good luck and thanks for all of your work!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball availability

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3

$ tar xOf ghc-8.2.0.20170404-src.tar.xz  ghc-8.2.0.20170404/GIT_COMMIT_ID ; echo
d67f0471cd3584c5a548ff30c9023b599b598d3e

Alan & Kim Zimmerman <[hidden email]> writes:

> There is no tag in the source tree, which commit has been used?

As I mention in the message, I intentionally held off on pushing the tag
to avoid the need to force push in case this commit ends up being bad.
The tarball was produced from d67f0471cd3584c5a548ff30c9023b599b598d3e.

On 4 April 2017 at 13:21, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am happy to announce the release of the 8.2.1-rc1 source distribution
to binary packagers.

It seems to build okay for me on Fedora 26 so far.

But the testsuite completely failed in timeout: see https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13534

Cheers, Jens

Re: GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball availability

George Colpitts
I'd like to run the testsuite on macOS but I am having trouble following the documentation at https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/RunningTests/Running

Do I need to download something in addition to the source tarball or am I making some mistake?

Following is what I tried:

 pwd
/Users/gcolpitts/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404/libffi
# doc says: The commands on this page can all be executed from the testsuite directory.
bash-3.2$ find . -name testsuite
./libffi/build/testsuite
./libffi/build/x86_64-apple-darwin/testsuite
bash-3.2$ pushd libffi/build/x86_64-apple-darwin/testsuite
~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404/libffi/build/x86_64-apple-darwin/testsuite ~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404
bash-3.2$ make test
make: *** No rule to make target `test'.  Stop.
bash-3.2$ popd
~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404
bash-3.2$ pushd libffi/build/testsuite
~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404/libffi/build/testsuite ~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404
bash-3.2$ make test
make: *** No rule to make target `test'.  Stop.
bash-3.2$ popd
~/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404
bash-3.2$ make test
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C testsuite/tests CLEANUP=1 SUMMARY_FILE=../../testsuite_summary.txt
make: *** testsuite/tests: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [test] Error 2

Thanks
George

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:43 PM Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 April 2017 at 13:21, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am happy to announce the release of the 8.2.1-rc1 source distribution
to binary packagers.

It seems to build okay for me on Fedora 26 so far.

But the testsuite completely failed in timeout: see https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13534

Cheers, Jens

Re: GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball availability

Brandon Allbery

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:17 PM, George Colpitts <[hidden email]> wrote:
/Users/gcolpitts/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404/libffi

I don't think you want to be in the libffi subdirectory; any test suite there would be specific to libffi and require you to follow its directions, not the ghc testsuite directions.

Re: GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball availability

David Feuer-2
I'm not sure why you're trying to run things from the libffi directory. As far as I know, the test suite is normally run from ghc/testsuite.

David Feuer
Well-Typed, LLP

Re: testsuite not in GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball ?

George Colpitts
Thanks Brandon

After downloading the source tarball and doing a build successfully I wanted to run the testsuite.

You write
  • As far as I know, the test suite is normally run from ghc/testsuite.
That directory doesn't exist for me:

  •  pwd
  • /Users/gcolpitts/Downloads/ghc-8.2.0.20170404/ghc
  • bash-3.2$ ls testsuite
  • ls: testsuite: No such file or directory
  • bash-3.2$

so I guess the source tarball doesn't contain it and those who do a build can't test their build with the testsuite. I was hoping I could do that.

I didn't think the libffi directories were the right place to run from but they were only testsuite directories that the find command gave me.

Thanks again
George

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:10 AM David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure why you're trying to run things from the libffi directory. As far as I know, the test suite is normally run from ghc/testsuite.

David Feuer
Well-Typed, LLP

Re: testsuite not in GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball ?

David Feuer-2
That's not really too surprising to me. The test suite is primarily intended for GHC developers, and at present only works reliably when GHC is compiled for validation. Including it in the distribution would force users who had no use for it to pay for it anyway.

David Feuer
Well-Typed, LLP

George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks Brandon
>
> After downloading the source tarball and doing a build successfully I
> wanted to run the testsuite.

You can indeed run the testsuite.

However, note that the testsuite is not included in the "-src" tarball
to keep the distribution size down. There is a separate "-testsuite"
tarball which includes the testsuite/ subtree. This can be extracted
into the parent directory of the source tree. You should find this
tarball in the usual place [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.2.1-rc1/ghc-8.2.0.20170404-testsuite.tar.xz

Re: testsuite not in GHC 8.2.1-rc1 source tarball ?

George Colpitts
Great, thanks Ben!