GHC 8.0.1 status

Ben Gamari-3
tl;dr. Stabilizing the ghc-8.0 is taking a bit longer than was anticipated.
       The release schedule is being pushed back a bit.

Hello everyone,

As you likely know we are currently in the depths of the 8.0 release. In
fact, under more ideal circumstances I would probably be cutting another
release candidate right now instead of writing this email, in
preparation for a final release next week or so.

However, our world is far from ideal as evidenced by the number
[1] of significant bugs present on the 8.0 branch. This isn't altogether
unexpected; we knew we were taking a bit of a risk in merging so many
high-impact patches in one release. However, we thought that given a
longer-than-usual period between first-candidate and the final release,
we'd have enough time to smooth out the wrinkles. Sadly, this has taken
a bit longer than we anticipated.

Of course, the last thing we want is to push a known buggy release out
the door. Consequently, we won't be delivering the 8.0.1 release next
week as originally planned. Instead, we'll be pushing the release back
by about three weeks. This will give developers a bit more breathing
room in which to work out the remaining issues. Hopefully in a few weeks
the tree will be in such a state that we can push out yet another
candidate which, with luck, will be the last before the release.

If you'd like to expedite the process (and have fun in the process), you
could do worse than to having a look at Trac [1], choosing a bug of your
liking, and trying your hand at solving it.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this effort thusfar.
If you have any questions about the release process or how you can help,
don't hesistate to ask.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1

Christiaan Baaij <[hidden email]> writes:

> Given that I was working on at least once package (
> https://github.com/goldfirere/singletons/pull/142) which gave panics on
> GHC8-rc2, couldn't we get at least an GHC8-rc3 before doing an 8.0.1
> release in 3 weeks?

As I said in the original message (and several times prior),

> Hopefully in a few weeks the tree will be in such a state that we can
> push out yet another candidate which, with luck, will be the last
> before the release.

that is, there will be *at least* one more release candidate before the
final release.

Fear not; we will not be pushing out 8.0.1 until we are convinced it has been
sufficiently tested.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.0.1 status

Erik Hesselink
I've found what I believe to be a regression in GHC 8 rc2 [1], and the
wiki says to yell if I want to bring it to the attention of GHC
developers. So this is me yelling, I guess :) I'm not sure if this bug
is important enough to be included, but I think it would be good for
someone to look at it and make that call. It's at least breaking one
package that I maintain (but it can be worked around).

Erik

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/11662

Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've found what I believe to be a regression in GHC 8 rc2 [1], and the
> wiki says to yell if I want to bring it to the attention of GHC
> developers. So this is me yelling, I guess :) I'm not sure if this bug
> is important enough to be included, but I think it would be good for
> someone to look at it and make that call. It's at least breaking one
> package that I maintain (but it can be worked around).

Thanks Erik!

Indeed this looks to me to be a regression.

Cheers,

- Ben