GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Ben Gamari-3
tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10 please
       of weeks.

Hello everyone,

Now that GHC 8.8.1 is behind us it is time that we begin thinking about
8.10. There seems to be broad consensus within the subset of the
community that I sampled that we should try to hold to the usual release
date near the end of year for 8.10.1. I believe that this is a feasible
goal with the caveat that we push the final release back by a couple of
weeks in recognition that busy schedules of the holiday season tends to
throw unexpected wrenches into the release process.

In particular I would suggest the following concrete schedule:

    October  18 2019:  start of one week freeze in preparation for branching
    October  25 2019:  ghc-8.10 branch cut
    November 8  2019:  8.10.1-alpha1
    November 22 2019:  8.10.1-alpha2
    December 6  2019:  8.10.1-alpha3
    December 20 2019:  8.10.1-rc1
    January  10 2020:  Final 8.10.1 release

If you have yet-unmerged work that you would like to see in GHC 8.10
please do be in touch and open a merge request ASAP.

One obvious question is how we will avoid the many delays that plagued
the 8.8.1 release. Without delving too deep into the specific reasons for
these delays, the reasons fell into two buckets:

 1. delays due to CI stabilization
 2. coordination delays with upstream libraries
 3. fallout from MonadFail changes which landed only late in the release
    cycle

Of these, (1) is largely behind us and (3) will be avoided by ensuring
that core libraries changes are landed *before* the branch date.

This leaves consideration (2). The problem of upstream library
coordination has always been a tricky one but has grown more acute as
our release schedule has accelerated. While no technical solution will
eliminate the issue entirely, we believe that decoupling GHC's release
schedule from those of its dependencies' is an important mitigation.
We will be discussing this with upstream library maintainers in
the coming weeks to establish how we can ensure that releases are
available well ahead of the GHC 8.10 release, ideally by alpha2.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Vladislav Zavialov-2
Hi Ben,

Standalone kind signatures are implemented and waiting for review and merge for GHC 8.10

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1438

- Vlad

> On 18 Sep 2019, at 23:07, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10 please
>       of weeks.

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Matthew Pickering
I also really think we should fix 15455 before 8.10 is released.

It's a major space leak in the simplifier which has already been
present for 3 major versions now which affects a popular package.

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/15455

Cheers,

Matt

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:08 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10 please
>        of weeks.
>

> Hello everyone,
>
> Now that GHC 8.8.1 is behind us it is time that we begin thinking about
> 8.10. There seems to be broad consensus within the subset of the
> community that I sampled that we should try to hold to the usual release
> date near the end of year for 8.10.1. I believe that this is a feasible
> goal with the caveat that we push the final release back by a couple of
> weeks in recognition that busy schedules of the holiday season tends to
> throw unexpected wrenches into the release process.
>
> In particular I would suggest the following concrete schedule:
>
>     October  18 2019:  start of one week freeze in preparation for branching
>     October  25 2019:  ghc-8.10 branch cut
>     November 8  2019:  8.10.1-alpha1
>     November 22 2019:  8.10.1-alpha2
>     December 6  2019:  8.10.1-alpha3
>     December 20 2019:  8.10.1-rc1
>     January  10 2020:  Final 8.10.1 release
>
> If you have yet-unmerged work that you would like to see in GHC 8.10
> please do be in touch and open a merge request ASAP.
>

> One obvious question is how we will avoid the many delays that plagued
> the 8.8.1 release. Without delving too deep into the specific reasons for
> these delays, the reasons fell into two buckets:
>
>  1. delays due to CI stabilization
>  2. coordination delays with upstream libraries
>  3. fallout from MonadFail changes which landed only late in the release
>     cycle
>
> Of these, (1) is largely behind us and (3) will be avoided by ensuring
> that core libraries changes are landed *before* the branch date.
>
> This leaves consideration (2). The problem of upstream library
> coordination has always been a tricky one but has grown more acute as
> our release schedule has accelerated. While no technical solution will
> eliminate the issue entirely, we believe that decoupling GHC's release
> schedule from those of its dependencies' is an important mitigation.
> We will be discussing this with upstream library maintainers in
> the coming weeks to establish how we can ensure that releases are
> available well ahead of the GHC 8.10 release, ideally by alpha2.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Ben Gamari-3
Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> I also really think we should fix 15455 before 8.10 is released.
>
> It's a major space leak in the simplifier which has already been
> present for 3 major versions now which affects a popular package.
>
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/15455

Yes, it's on my list.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Gabor Greif-2
Please consider https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/1742.
I thought it would be a hassle to write tests for it, but I figured
out a nice way.

I set the milestone to 8.12.1, because I expected more problems, but
it seems like things are going smoothly and this is becoming a
candidate for 8.10.1.

Cheers,

    Gabor

On 9/18/19, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10
> please
>        of weeks.

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Artem Pelenitsyn
Hello Ben,

I hope to push the threaded RTS by default MR over the line now when the GHC proposal has been accepted.

It has some unstable test suite failures: they appear only in some configurations.
Notably, validate-x86_64-linux-deb9-debug fails more than others:
I'd appreciate if someone could take a look and suggest a path forward.

--
Best wishes,
Artem

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 16:08, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sandy Maguire
Hi all.

I'd like to get !1730 in, and ideally !1739 if it doesn't require a proposal.

Sandy

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 4:23 AM Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm currently travelling the world, sleeping on people's couches and doing full-time collaboration on Haskell projects. If this seems interesting to you, please consider signing up as a host! https://isovector.github.io/erdos/

Re: GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan

Sylvain Henry-2
Hi Ben,

I think we should complete
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/13009 for 8.10 (to avoid a
release with inconsistent module hierarchy and to make backporting easier).

Cheers,
Sylvain