GHC 8.2.1 status

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

Here is your periodic release update. After a number of false-starts,
the tree is finally approaching a releasable state. Last week I cut
the ghc-8.2 branch and things have been stabilizing ever since. At this
point we are waiting on only a couple more fixes before the rc1 source
release can be cut,

 * #13474: To be addressed by Richard soon
 * #13410: To be addressed by Simon PJ shortly
 * #13333: To be addressed by Ben shortly
 * #13433: Simon Marow has a fix

There are also a few issues that we have deemed not to block -rc1, but
which must be addressed prior to the final release,

 * #13220: David will verify that
 * #13233: Ben will do a bit more digging, Simon PJ will think about it

With luck we will be able to finish the -rc1 blockers in the next couple
of days, allowing us to cut a source release by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Cheers,

 - Your friendly release manager

George Colpitts <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks Ben. When you have a chance it would be good to update the status
> page <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.2.1> wrt what we
> will be getting, specifically will Backpack be in 8.2.1

Hi George,

I just reviewed the status page and cleaned a few things up. Otherwise it looks up to date.

Regarding Backpack, all of the major pieces are currently in the tree
and will be present in 8.2. It would be great if users could play these
bits in -rc1; there has been a steady stream of fixes from Edward in the
past weeks, so there is no doubt more work to do here and it would be
great to find issues before the final release if possible.

Edward: Do you think you could add some details to the Backpack entry on
the status page?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: GHC 8.2.1 status

Edward Z. Yang
I updated the wiki page!

Excerpts from Ben Gamari's message of 2017-03-27 12:00:19 -0400: